• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

To melonite or not to melonite?

deadnbrkn84

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Portland, OR
That is the question.

So I'll be getting my new .260 back from the smith this week. It's a Surgeon 591r and rock creek barrel. I was sure I was going to melonite both the action and the barrel for all the added benefits but now I'm not so sure. I was hoping the melonite would get me more rounds out of the barrel (barrel is being finished at 22") but if I melonite it I can't cut it back when I burn the throat out. However at 22" I don't know if I'm going to cut it back anymore when I burn the throat out anyway as I don't think I'd wan't to run it much shorter then that.

I know it's been asked a million times I just can't make up my mind.....

Re: To melonite or not to melonite?

I am very interested in the subject as well. I am stuck on my phone dead PC so searching anything is near impossible but if anyone wants to be as cool as to post links to USEFUL threads that would be killer.
Like why cant you set back a barrel after?

Well you can't set the barrel back after because after you melonite it the metal is so hard that cutters can't cut it without destroying the blades. So it can't be cut, or rechambered

Contact Mark at Short Action Customs, he did one for me(the whole rifle) and it came out nice and shoots great. He has done a bunch and can answer all of you questions, etc. about it. The increase in barrel life alone is worth it.

Mark

Mike Rock is a big proponent of the process.

It is a fallacy that you can't cut metal after the process. It does however require carbide tooling instead of hss.

I would (and do) go for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abbott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike Rock is a big proponent of the process.

It is a fallacy that you can't cut metal after the process. It does however require carbide tooling instead of hss.

I would (and do) go for it. </div></div>

Good carbide tooling will cut it just fine, but I think setting the barrel back/rechambering, even with carbide is going to be tough.

Pre-boring the new chamber will cut through most of the hard "skin" the melonite leaves, but there is still going to be some very hard material for the reamer to cut, which will of course HAVE to be carbide. Tapered form-cutters, like chamber reamers, have a tough job to do and I question a carbide reamer's ability to do this. If it will do it at all, it's going to be hard on a very expensive reamer.

In my opinion, meloniting a barrel precludes rechambering.

I have a 243 AI melonited barrel , while a good concept, I ma now stuck with it and unable to rechamber, set back etc, I will never melonite another barrel.

I've had 3 melonited barrels. Any future barrel will have the process done as well. Never had an issue.

One of mine was a 260 that I just sold. The new owner reported to me yesterday that he has it shooting in the .3's

I've not had an accuracy issue with any of mine after the process.

I was going to do my .243 barrel but figured if I leave it at 28 inches, I can set it back and rechamber at probably 2000 rounds or better, I dont plan on shooting a blistering load out of it.

Maybe get another 1500 after rechambering.

I dont know if I can get that many rounds out of a melonited barrel.

In this interview, Joel Kendrick of MMI claims 5k out of his 6.5x284. They are <span style="font-style: italic">known</span> burners.

Surgeon said if you melonite one of their actions, it voids warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon said if you melonite one of their actions, it voids warranty. </div></div>

They have said it to me as well. However I've done several and actually have a couple out getting done now. The place I have it done though does it at a lower temp so it doesn't affect any of the heat treating of the action.

I would at least get the barrel done. 90% of my customers here who burn the throat out of there barrel prefer to get a new barrel anyway.

Who does your Surgeon actions and what is the temp they use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Edds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who does your Surgeon actions and what is the temp they use? </div></div>

I can't speak for RWS, but H&M (blacknitride.com) in Akron Ohio knows guns, and will do the process at the lowest possible temp to accommodate your existing heat treat as best they can.

That said, the lowest temp melonite can be done at is ~1025°F, which WILL affect most heat teeat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Edds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who does your Surgeon actions and what is the temp they use? </div></div>

Top seceret.
whistle.gif

I can tell you that the temp used is below that temp. So I'm told anyway.

Alright well it looks like it's the way to go. At least on the barrel... Still on the fence about the action still because of the warranty. Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Edds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who does your Surgeon actions and what is the temp they use? </div></div>

Top seceret.
whistle.gif

I can tell you that the temp used is below that temp. So I'm told anyway. </div></div>
Why do you think it is necessary to keep who is doing the work a secret? If I was the one doing it, I would want everyone to know about it.

Another question to throw in the mix is how does this process effect barrels produced by different methods, ie: cut rifled, hammer forged, or button pulled?

I have a Lothar Walther AR-10 barrel that has already been chambered and was wanting do this but the only barrels I've seen melonited have been cut rifled.

A friend of mine had a couple Criterion (button rifled) barrels done. He did an accuracy test before and after. There were no adverse effects. 22-250ai and a 7mm RM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question to throw in the mix is how does this process effect barrels produced by different methods, ie: cut rifled, hammer forged, or button pulled?

I have a Lothar Walther AR-10 barrel that has already been chambered and was wanting do this but the only barrels I've seen melonited have been cut rifled. </div></div>

I'll have feedback for you soon. H&M has 4 of my barrels now, 2 Criterion button barrels, an OEM Savage button barrel, and a Bartlein cut barrel. All shot great through breakin.

Who is H&M and have they done all your barrels? I want to use MMI because I heard they do a good job and they have been doing it for along time.

I hope it works on the LW barrels, if it does that thing will never die out since LW use the harder steel and it being melonited
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who is H&M and have they done all your barrels? I want to use MMI because I heard they do a good job and they have been doing it for along time.

I hope it works on the LW barrels, if it does that thing will never die out since LW use the harder steel and it being melonited
smile.gif
</div></div>

H&M = blacknitride.com

They built/established the facility that was bought by MMI. Not saying either is better. I can say H&M knows what they're doing just fine, they do a ton of gun stuff, including OEM stuff for a number of big names like S&W for example.

I'm having them do a pair of actions, too: an FN SPR nd my Savage. Hope it turns out nice.

Awesome! If you can, PM me a contact for them in case MMI can't do it for me.

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and try it out on my Lothar Walther LW 50 barrel I just got.

You think I will see an increase in velocity on a gas gun like most of the bolt guns see?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome! If you can, PM me a contact for them in case MMI can't do it for me.

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and try it out on my Lothar Walther LW 50 barrel I just got.

You think I will see an increase in velocity on a gas gun like most of the bolt guns see? </div></div>

"Ring" here on the hide has done investigation and got the ball rolling for H&M to do one-sy two-sy stuff for us common folk. The key contact at H&M is a dude name "Shade". When you call him, tell him "Russ" from the snipershide sent you, and you need a quote for xyz (whatever you're getting treated).

You send them your shit, and a check for however much you were quoted + cost of return shipping - and it comes back to you treated in about 10 days.