• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes To Much Additional Elevation?

AussieShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2005
Australia
I am currently running a customised 308 Remington 700 with a 32" barrel with additional 20MOA Farrel rail.

I am looking at purchasing a Spuhr mount for my be S&B pmii.

I am wondering if I add another 44.4 MOA whether the extra MOA will limit the ability of a 100m zero?

I know that there are other calibre's around that stay flatter longer with better BCs.

Simple calculation. If the MOA of your base is less than half of the total elevation on your scope then you are probably good. Some scopes don't have the advertised travel and many rifles don't have perfectly drilled mounting holes so you may lose a few MOA there.

That all said, doesn't your scope have like 100MOA of travel? That's 50 up so you should be good out to 1200+ yards on just the scope. How far do you normally shoot? The extra 20 on your current base should get you another 200 maybe. Your .308 load consistent at that range?

Last edited:
This makes no sense to me on a 308, you are spending money on something you most likely will never use, at least effectively.

Hardmix

It's a 308. Get the 0 Moa mount or 20 at the most... If your scope has that much travel.

Personally if I had a 20 Moa base I'd get a 0 Moa mount.

I want to see how far I can reliably hit targets.

At the moment it's 800m.

Next field day I'll take the rig out out and try for different targets out to 1200.

I enjoy the science of ballistics and want to "push my limits" if you will

I'd start with figuring out how far you can shoot consistently shoot before investing. There are a few folks pushing 155s over 3k fps out to 1200 or so but most of us start loosing steam past 1000. My 175s @ 2661 are pretty much done around 1k. Beyond that Im just lobbing them out there without much consistency. As mentioned, your existing setup can handle 1200 but Id bet that your load won't get you much further if it even works at 1200.

I am currently running a customised 308 Remington 700 with a 32" barrel with additional 20MOA Farrel rail.

I am looking at purchasing a Spuhr mount for my be S&B pmii.

I am wondering if I add another 44.4 MOA whether the extra MOA will limit the ability of a 100m zero?

Do you REALLY feel you need 26+ mil of elevation adjustment on a 308 ? Secondly, do you REALLY feel you need to keep your erector spring completely flattened in the bottom of your tube and limit its life ?
If you've answered yes to either of these I doubt there is anything anyone on this site will ever say to convince you otherwise. I can only suggest that it's probably not a good idea.

Mounting your 5-25 (I'm assuming it's a 5-25?) in 64 moa of cant is highly ill advised for any application and you may have a bit of a problem obtaining a 100m zero as well.

Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
Do you REALLY feel you need 26+ mil of elevation adjustment on a 308 ? Secondly, do you REALLY feel you need to keep your erector spring completely flattened in the bottom of your tube and limit its life ?
If you've answered yes to either of these I doubt there is anything anyone on this site will ever say to convince you otherwise. I can only suggest that it's probably not a good idea.

Mounting your 5-25 (I'm assuming it's a 5-25?) in 64 moa of cant is highly ill advised for any application and you may have a bit of a problem obtaining a 100m zero as well.

Just throwing that out there.

Thankyou for your honesty. The last thing I want to do is damage my turrets. I appreciate the insight.

Thankyou for your honesty. The last thing I want to do is damage my turrets. I appreciate the insight.

It's more an issue with the erector spring itself than the turrets. Any spring, even if made of unobtainium and goes through a proprietary manufacturing process can still fatigue under constant load. Just consult a metallurgist for an honest answer to that, not a scope manufacturer.
Sorry if I responded in a harsh manner to your original post but I hear this ALL the time.

You will have far greater success and build better shooting skills and confidence if you operate efficiently within your equipments means and capability.

It's more an issue with the erector spring itself than the turrets. Any spring, even if made of unobtainium and goes through a proprietary manufacturing process can still fatigue under constant load. Just consult a metallurgist for an honest answer to that, not a scope manufacturer.
Sorry if I responded in a harsh manner to your original post but I hear this ALL the time.

You will have far greater success and build better shooting skills and confidence if you operate efficiently within your equipments means and capability.

I appreciate your honesty.

There isn't much around regarding the limitations of equipment that is explained in laymans mechanics.

Thanks.

The manual does in fact recommend mounting the 5-25 on a 45 MOA rail but ONLY if the host weapon needs it, and most importantly can actually utilize that much adjustment.
I have one on a 243 Ackley that I need less than 10 mil to get me to subsonic transition and have it mounted on a 20 MOA rail but honestly I don't even need that. I could probably get by just fine on a flat rail.

Last edited: