• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To those who say lower cost guns aren't "accurate"..

You're just another person talking about the gun yet knows NOTHING about it.

It does have a threaded barrel, that's how my suppressor is attached.

First rule should be that BEFORE you post, know WTF you are talking about.

The Savage AXIS II Precision has been selected as the 2021 Shooting Illustrated Rifle of the Year. The AXIS II offers a tremendous value for marksmen looking for reliable long-range accuracy.

“Golden Bullseye Awards acknowledge the finest products available in the shooting sports,” the announcement reads. “The winners are selected by a seven-member committee consisting of editors, graphic designers and veteran NRA Publications staff, representing more than a century of collective experience in the shooting and hunting industry.”
I know that I saw "Savage" and ceased giving a shit.

I own 3 Savages now, a 12 LRP - Not threaded muzzle, a Model 11 as a hunting rifle for my daughters - Not threaded muzzle and a Savage 99 not threaded muzzle.
I'd say that's 100 % of the ones I own and I wouldn't buy another Savage unless I was looking for a Truck Gun that was going to get shot, abused and neglected and wanted the lowest cost, expendable firearm that I felt would get the job done.

I don't think its distance. Seems once you start getting past 10-15 minutes of up past a 100yd zero no matter the stick or round, things start getting harder, do to mother nature and the shooters ability to read her correctly.
15 minutes w/my 308 shooting high speed 175 smk rds puts me at 600yds,
15 minutes shooting subsonics thru the same stick puts me at 200yds,
15 minutes of 300wm throwing 190s smk's puts me at 700yds
I'd love to carry on a conversation but you are speaking in this jibberish language of MOA. Everybody knows MIL is language of choice for discriminating shooters. ;)

I bought one salvage in 338LM, years & tears back, & that complete thread should still be on here, where I don't know? However it took 3+ months IIRC to get it 100%. Would it shoot tight groups at distance from the box, Oh yea. Would I have took it in a SHTF event hell no, not before correcting all its defects. Once I had it to 100% a bud wanted to go & do some median range so we went to a 1400 yd range. He was shooting a GAP built 300wm but before the day was over he owned a salvage in 338LM. First & last salvage for me.

In reality there are only three types of shooters, gamers, table meat hunters, and sheep dogs, be they forced or the volunteer type.

To the gamer its all about 100 rds in the same hole nothing more, and most think money is the key, and gear name is everything.
To the table meat hunter its about putting the meat on the table w/as little destruction and chasing as possible.
To the sheep dog, there are no different levels of dead, or out of the fight. As its focus is moving thru the objective most quickly, and getting back for beer thirty, and tits. Gear names to the Mutt mean nothing, but kit weight does.

No the money side.
The gamer well spend unlimited amounts to reduce the groups size to impress others or some oak board hanging on the wall.
The Table meat hunter will use whatever tool that goes bang and make adjustments to its ability range with ability.
The low level dog just uses whatever it is issued and adjusts its tactics from there. The higher tier dog gets to pick its tools, but still could care less about who made it, or cost. Both types of dogs could care less about where the hole is in the target because beer thirty & tits is rapidly approaching, closing time.

Now, on here, you have crossovers of all three types and that is how and where the fun starts.
Please tell me this is chat GPT........... You might become a new copy/pasta. Like Trains and crab meat and Concrete and Bench pressing.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I never brought up competition. It's about new people looking to get into longer range shooting and the amount of money they have available and actually getting them started into this type of shooting at the ranges they have available.

Not everybody has a infinite amount they can spend nor do they have the longer yardage ranges to shoot at.

The premise of my post is that a lower dollar rifle setup can be VERY accurate at ranges up to 400 to 500 yards. You know as well as I do that various environmental facts such as temp, wind, humidity have an effect and being able to shoot in those conditions at 100 yards or more will get you going down that learning curve.

You have to hit what you are aiming at when shooting 50 or 100 before you even begin to think about stretching it out to longer distances.

Getting that confidence and keeping it is as important to shooting as the quality of the gun you have, probably more so.
Thank you. I don't know how this forum was able to survive without you coming along and posting all this wisdom.

These are revelations to us all. We didn't know a low cost gun could possible shoot well.

And I tell ya what. There is nothing better than being a new shooter to long range and instantly thinking other new shooters should listen to you. I mean with all that experience and knowledge, why wouldn't they?

Next we will learn a $9500 Kia will get you to the same place as as $100K F250. Or a pair of shoes from walmart are just as good as a pair of gucci hiking boots.

Bring your gun to a PRS match. You should be able to win easily with those skills.

This thread is better with banjo music…
1712689295982.jpeg

If you're here to learn about shooting longer distances, why are you making a big deal about shooting at 100 yards? Maybe you should be in the rimfire section...

You make assertions about others ability to read but you can't even decide your own intent of posting. Are you shit talking about your amazing Savage and its 100 yards benchrest like abilities or are you here to learn about long range shooting?

View attachment 8392556
Go reread my original post.

No bench rest use either.

Thank you. I don't know how this forum was able to survive without you coming along and posting all this wisdom.

These are revelations to us all. We didn't know a low cost gun could possible shoot well.

And I tell ya what. There is nothing better than being a new shooter to long range and instantly thinking other new shooters should listen to you. I mean with all that experience and knowledge, why wouldn't they?

Next we will learn a $9500 Kia will get you to the same place as as $100K F250. Or a pair of shoes from walmart are just as good as a pair of gucci hiking boots.

Bring your gun to a PRS match. You should be able to win easily with those skills.
Why is the reading comprehension level so damned low in this forum?

It's about new shooters and people in here, many of whom have absolutely no idea about wtf they are talking about, slamming products they know absolutely nothing about.

The VAST majority of outdoor ranges are 100 yards or less. Cities seldom have even that close to them. To one hell of a lot of people, 100 yards will be as long range as they get. I live in the country and have a 50 & 100 on my property.

People want to know what a GOOD ENTRY LEVEL weapon is, over the counter, out of the box. I've asked a couple of times in this thread what recommendations they would have and those people got pissed.

I have no interest in competition shooting. Admire the skills they have though.

People in here need to remember, they didn't start out with a custom gun that's $10K.

How soon they forget.

Or have they just talkers and not shooters?

I bought one salvage in 338LM, years & tears back, & that complete thread should still be on here, where I don't know?
Found it

Reactions: lash

It's about new shooters and people in here, many of whom have absolutely no idea about wtf they are talking about, slamming products they know absolutely nothing about.

The VAST majority of outdoor ranges are 100 yards or less. Cities seldom have even that close to them. To one hell of a lot of people, 100 yards will be as long range as they get. I live in the country and have a 50 & 100 on my property.

People want to know what a GOOD ENTRY LEVEL weapon is, over the counter, out of the box. I've asked a couple of times in this thread what recommendations they would have and those people got pissed.

People in here need to remember, they didn't start out with a custom gun that's $10K.

How soon they forget.

Tikkas aren't bad. Mine started @ $836. It's a lot more now and still has factory lite barrel.

If you wanted to know what a good entry rifle is, why the hell don't you use the search function? It's been answered thousands of times. The answer is NEVER Savage. Also isn't factory Remington.

Surprised this hasn't been moved to the Pit. When you ask a Pit level question or make a Pit level comment that we have heard for the 100th (not joking) what do you expect to happen? Even if you are new( I have my suspissions whether you are or not), don't come in swinging around that you think you know better.

Suggestion. Before you go any further on this site, read this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yasherka
Don't think I've every heard that cheaper rifles like Savages aren't accurate.

The issue is that some are accurate, some aren't - you simply can't tell because of the variability barrel to barrel. My first long-range rifle was actually a Savage 110 in 300 WM. When I rebarreled/rechambered it to 300 PRC, I did so with a Bartlein barrel. The Savage barrel blew - I mean, it was bad. It was an adventure just to hit an IPSC at like 600 yards. The Bartlein shot/shoots pretty darned close to my current 300 PRC built on a Defiance Deviant - it should, it's essentially the same barrel! The issue is that my Savage is the "not exactly" of my rifle collection - it doesn't cycle well, it doesn't mag feed well, I've had to retighten the scope rail a few times, etc. There's a reason why it hasn't seen the light of day in like 3 years.

I know that I saw "Savage" and ceased giving a shit.

I own 3 Savages now, a 12 LRP - Not threaded muzzle, a Model 11 as a hunting rifle for my daughters - Not threaded muzzle and a Savage 99 not threaded muzzle.
I'd say that's 100 % of the ones I own and I wouldn't buy another Savage unless I was looking for a Truck Gun that was going to get shot, abused and neglected and wanted the lowest cost, expendable firearm that I felt would get the job done.
Capt, what caliber is your Model 12 LRP and how well does it shoot/function? Thanks.

So answer the question

Answer the question, are you here to talk shit or learn to shoot long range? 100 yards isn’t long range for handguns or rimfires….
I NEVER said 100 was long range. I made a simple comment based on my experience showing my gun was indeed accurate at 100 yards and a group of whiners with low self esteem went fucking ballistic.

Using a savage really gutted them it seems.

Some wanna go low with comments, get personal and talk shit? I'm not afraid to go there. In over 25 years, I have NEVER met people at the range with the cork sniffing attitude like one sees on the Internet. Be it Harleys, cars, guns or guitars, the real afficianados are friendly and supportive no matter what you shoot, drive, or play.

It's the POSEURS online that make the most noise.

The noun poseur is defined as "a person who pretends to be what he or she is not : an affected or insincere person.

There is a lot one can learn here, and I have, but nothing from some of those who comment it seems.

I NEVER said 100 was long range. I made a simple comment based on my experience showing my gun was indeed accurate at 100 yards and a group of whiners with low self esteem went fucking ballistic.

Some wanna go low with comments, get personal and talk shit? I'm not afraid to go there. In over 25 years, I have NEVER met people at the range with the cork sniffing attitude like one sees on the Internet. Be it Harleys, cars, guns or guitars, the real afficianados are friendly and supportive no matter what you shoot, drive, or play.

The noun poseur is defined as "a person who pretends to be what he or she is not : an affected or insincere person.

There is a lot one can learn here, and I have, but nothing from some of those who comment it seems.
Here you go, something concrete for you to tackle and digest:

Now, get off my lawn…😁😂

Well, Bye.

Anyone else getting those "the Springfield Waypoint is the best thing ever" vibes from this thread? He reminds me of that dude...Even the arguments and immediate insults and name calling and shutdown attempts are similar. 😂
Standard trolling techniques used on all those other forums he keeps talking about and got kicked off of for being a troll and starting shit just to keep himself amused.

I posted Franks dot drill, you know, the one that most of us have been using when stuck at 100 yards. If he’s more than a troll and a poseur, he’ll try it out and post the results.

Here you go, something concrete for you to tackle and digest:

Now, get off my lawn…😁😂
You're one very triggered little kid aren't you? Pegged you dead on as having low self esteem.

Standard trolling techniques used on all those other forums he keeps talking about and got kicked off of for being a troll and starting shit just to keep himself amused.

I posted Franks dot drill, you know, the one that most of us have been using when stuck at 100 yards. If he’s more than a troll and a poseur, he’ll try it out and post the results.
Can't wait to see those results... 😂

But maybe it's time we introduce the McSavage Shotgun Primer Drill...? 🤷🏼

My brother came really close to buying a savage impulse in 6.5creed. I think it was the impulse, the funky straight pull one ? Anyway, I had to intervene. After a long talk he decided to suppress his m1a and put a gen3 razor on top of his trg-42. I'm going to send him this meme to show him what I saved him from.

Your use of the word "we" just proves you're a group think little girls club.

Not seeing too many independent thinkers on your side in this thread.

Millennial and Gen X mostly I think.

Single, apartment dwellers and work in a cubicle.

But once you're online, wow, machismo just bursts out of ya'll.

But only online.

How soon they forget.

You need to remember you made one shot. One.

Do it again or move along.

Your use of the word "we" just proves you're a group think little girls club.

Not seeing too many independent thinkers on your side in this thread.

Millennial and Gen X mostly I think.

Single, apartment dwellers and work in a cubicle.

But once you're online, wow, machismo just bursts out of ya'll.

But only online.
You are projecting. The average person here would shoot circles around you. Just stop. If you need attention, go find a therapist.

I joined this forum less than a month ago, seeking information & some advice about expanding my tactical gun skills to include longer distance precision shooting. Longest shots would probably be less than 500 yards.

To those who say a lower cost rifle isn't accurate, I say BULLSHIT

Now you tell me again how you need a high dollar gun with yada yada yada aftermarket parts to be accurate.

So when people ASK for opinions on how to get started, dump the bullshit about needing a gun way outside their budgets, and offer real advice. Don't do describe your "dream gun" you don't own, actually try to help them..

Some GREAT, and very accurate weapons are out there that sell for $400 and up. Ruger, Savage, Remington and others are great starter guns to learn accuracy skills with.

Listen to their questions and offer helpful suggestions, not the same bullshit of "just save up more money" so they can afford a gun you probably don't have yourself.

I may be in the minority on this forum, but for my style of shooting, accuracy is #1, and I think most feel the same. Your "sub MOA" is impressive, but far more when inside the bullseye of the target.
Savage seems to disagree with your assessment as they also offer a “precision rifle” that is built to do what a simple hunting rifle is not. I would hardly classify it as a cheap rifle. I would never buy one but that is a different topic.

Nobody has said cheap rifles can’t shoot, you fail to consider the soil your virtual feet stand on. Take your rifle and get it to shoot different factory ammunition sub moa. Now get it to do that on different weather days and under extreme circumstances. Now get multiple shooters of distinct shapes and sizes to be able to to duplicate the amazing results…

These are the reasons we fixate on the rifles we do and recommend them. Not to be elitist snobs but because they simply work, and they work reliably under a plethora of challenges. Your money does buy something besides the name engraved on the receiver.

1712703548300.png

Last edited: