• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To thread or not to thread?

JohnnyBWildered

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2019
I need more seasoned shooters than myself to weigh in.

I have a 20” factory 700 in 308 from 2011. Shoots alittle under and inch with good ammo and better with match. I really can’t ask for much more for a $600 gun. Has probably 3-400 rounds through it so still a ton of barrel life remaining.

I want to put my can on it though and it’s not threaded. Should I risk the pretty sweet gun I’ve got to have someone throw it in a lathe and have to reassemble and hopefully hit the same sweet spot reinstalling the barrel?

I have a pretty old/heavy can as well; an old AAC 7.62-SD. Has anyone had a decrease in accuracy (or any negatives) after putting their can on a bolt gun? Outside of improper gunsmithing/installation I mean.

Any knowledge/advice would be appreciated.

Thread it...poi shift will probably be straight down all else being equal

Reactions: Fig
I know the AAC cans in general had issues with consistency. Mine with my TBAC have never degraded the accuracy of any host. If anything the shooting becomes better. Take that as an improvement on the gun or shooter

Reactions: Jack's Dad
...adding or detracting from it's current configuration will affect it somehow....but it's unknown if it will be a positive or negative effect until it's done. Some things done cannot be undone, BUT.... the "change" can be mitigated by addressing the specific "change" thru ammo, additional equipment mods, etc. and the time/resource commitment to identify them.

...it will basically come down to YOU deciding if using a can is worth the costs and potential impacts are worth it. How frequently you use that 700 and for "what" will factor into it.

Thread it. They may be able to do it without removing the barrel. And if they do, so what. It's a shouldered barrel and will go back on just fine without changing headspace.

Reactions: moosemeat
...adding or detracting from it's current configuration will affect it somehow....but it's unknown if it will be a positive or negative effect until it's done. Some things done cannot be undone, BUT.... the "change" can be mitigated by addressing the specific "change" thru ammo, additional equipment mods, etc. and the time/resource commitment to identify them.

...it will basically come down to YOU deciding if using a can is worth the costs and potential impacts are worth it. How frequently you use that 700 and for "what" will factor into it.
Yeah, I’m gathering as much info as I can before I make the call. Hoping for a flood of “it’s a crap shoot” or “it shouldn’t matter *that* much”.

I know the AAC cans in general had issues with consistency. Mine with my TBAC have never degraded the accuracy of any host. If anything the shooting becomes better. Take that as an improvement on the gun or shooter
Yeah I’ve heard depending on where the ratchet “times” on the device it can shift POI from mount to dismount. Is that a thing?

Do it. I threaded my XPR and even if it would have opened up groups a bit, I’m sure a little fine tuning of the load could tighten it back up.

Just a couple threads to read through before going forward if you want

It’s been a long time since I read through those threads. When I was shopping for cans I read them years ago. So it may or may not be useful info to you

I have a Rem 700 AAC SD 20” 308 I use for a rain/Shitty day gun. No can but it has the factory muzzle device

DEA918CE-E705-4E0C-95F3-2C3F6ED4CF25.jpeg

It's an 11 year old rifle with 400 rounds through it. Just thread it and do what you want with it as it might get used more if you do. ;)

It's an 11 year old rifle with 400 rounds through it. Just thread it and do what you want with it as it might get used more if you do. ;)
Tell me about it. I left my job at a gun store/range and retail ammo prices and not shooting before/after work kinda killed my round count. So I picked a great time to start back up right? Ammo and components are cheap still right? RIGHT?? 😂

Finally someone that shoots as much as I do!

But in all seriousness, threading ihe muzzle should not decrease the accuracy. May even increase it if a new crown is cut.

It’s been a long time since I read through those threads. When I was shopping for cans I read them years ago. So it may or may not be useful info to you

I have a Rem 700 AAC SD 20” 308 I use for a rain/Shitty day gun. No can but it has the factory muzzle device

View attachment 7851689
Great info in there, thanks! Fortunately I’m a machinist so if I really needed too I could chuck up on that sucker now that I know it’s the mounts and not the can itself. Worst case scenario I leave that for my ARs and buy another can.

Great info in there, thanks! Fortunately I’m a machinist so if I really needed too I could chuck up on that sucker now that I know it’s the mounts and not the can itself. Worst case scenario I leave that for my ARs and buy another can.
You always need another can!!!!!

Lot of good smiths here that can do it. But also check w/ Jim Pixley (jpgrips.com). He does lots of threading, is reasonably priced, easy to deal with, has fast turnaround, and can do w/o removing bbl from action.

Lot of good smiths here that can do it. But also check w/ Jim Pixley (jpgrips.com). He does lots of threading, is reasonably priced, easy to deal with, has fast turnaround, and can do w/o removing bbl from action.
His prices are pretty darn reasonable compared to my local guy who wants $140 plus a disassembly fee.

I think he charges a little extra for barreled action but not much. Mainly just to cover his additional record keeping requirements given the action. You would need to remove bolt and trigger before sending. Probably worth a call unless it's covered somewhere on his site. It's been a while but he's done a lot of stuff for me over the years. Never an issue.