• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tobacco Pipe smokers

Raven 6

Minuteman
Oct 29, 2006
Blue Ridge
Tell about your favorite blend, pipe cleaning etc. Thinking of trying it out, want to see what your doing.

Re: Pipe smokers

Herbal green or Crystalline? Most people I've met don't clean either, but be careful, it will consume all of your time, and a lot of your money. :p

Dr. Grabow, Duke....bent.

Captain Black Royal blend....

Per cleaning; keep a stock of filters handy, and of course pipe cleaners.

When it starts to taste like crap, you're overdue......

1 part cavendish and 2 parts white burley . . . placed in a plastic bag in a micro wave oven for 1 minute with a quarter slice of a golden delicious apple.

I prefer a very dark wet Cavendish blend that's name is a number letter combo I don't know off the top of my head.

If you're just starting out I actually recommend a corncob, it's what I keep in my car or back pocket at the bar. Be sure to get a tool, the scraper it most of what you need but the tamper is useful too. I'm a fan of chruchwardens...they bring out the gnome in me.
182619_1775217416975_1135519464_32049082_826098_n.jpg

Well I puchased a new pipe and starter tobacco (black cavendish)last night from a nice shop in Blacksburg (Blacksburg Pipe & Tobacco). Free plug. Gave it a try, very enjoyable. I like info like that Killer Spade. Damn, Grimm 17, nice pipe, I never thought of a pipe like that. Come on guys give us some of your pipe and tobacco combos.

Explore the possibility of establishing a repoire with a local tobacco shop. Nothing else will provide a better education, If not one in your community,then try to find one close. You can always "con" the shop out of some samples. I don't smoke a pipe any more,but when smoking I enjoyed a straight Virginia flake or a light to medium English mixture. Try products from McClelland's or Rattrays.

Favorite Pipe: Meerschaum / Apple bowl / Bent stem
Favorite Blend: Nostalgia (one of Rem's blend)

I keep it simple: church warden pipe with borkum riff whiskey

I actually started off with a glass pipe. Reason being is when you smoke it cakes and flavors your bowl wood and cob absorb these flavors and it can really enhance the flavor. However , some flavors DO NOT mix well and on the same token the absorbed flavor will tastes horrid. This is why most people have designated or seprate pipes. Glass is easily cleaned, doesnt really absorb. So, in my "trying out all the flavors phase" I used glass and eventually moved to wood and cob when I knew what I liked. Sure you can scrape a wood or cob but its a pain.
I cant say its fashionable or that you wont get dirty looks. But its how I started.

That apple microwave recipe sounds delicous.

Now if you could tell me a delicous tabacco combo and a excellent alcohlic drink to pair ill be all set.

Here are the only two that I have.

The small one is a Dunhill I bought years ago.

The large one is a William Demuth "Round Top". The old man from whom my dad purchased our farm died and this was one of the things he left in the house.

Pipes.jpg

There is a tread somewhere on here that covers Whitney, maybe you'll find her there. LMAO

I really like my meerschaum-lined briar bent filled with China Black Whiskey (gold cavendish and Oriental 'baccy flavored with bourbon). Very aromatic and flavorful. If I'm in the mood for something more "aggressive", I grab a tin of McClelland's Black Shag. It's part of their 221b series...an homage to Sherlock Holmes. Honestly though, most of the time I load my bowls with China Black Whiskey or one of the old standbys; Borkum Riff, Captain Black, etc....there's a reason they're so popular. They're mild, smell nice, and they're affordable.

For cleaning, use good pipe cleaners (not the cheapies) and get a bowl scraper. Some folks use cleaning solutions, but with my meerschaums I prefer to avoid anything that could get into the meerschaum and queer the taste. (91% isopropyl alcohol is fine for wetting the pipe cleaners since it evaporates fully and doesn't leave behind any objectionable flavors.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I puchased a new pipe and starter tobacco (black cavendish)last night from a nice shop in Blacksburg (Blacksburg Pipe & Tobacco). Free plug. Gave it a try, very enjoyable. I like info like that Killer Spade. Damn, Grimm 17, nice pipe, I never thought of a pipe like that. Come on guys give us some of your pipe and tobacco combos. </div></div>

Heh... oh the memories of smoking some Cavendish in the Burg! Go Hokies!! We are up by 7!

Va Gentleman I feel your pain, b'burg is a nice place to be. That pipe made all the snow on Sunday more enjoyable.

Trying out the pipe with some Buffalo Trace this evening. I've been smoking cigars for years, a pipe is different for sure, but I like it.

Ya, for some reason everyone thinks we're talking about Whitney Houston.

I changed the thread title, hopefully everyone will be on the same page.

The taste of pipe tobacco now, just reminds me too much of cheap infused cigars or those damnable black and milds(stink to high heaven). Now if there was a more natural tobacco, maybe with a little bourbon in it, I might think about it, but the bourbon and cigars is just too good a thing these days

I have 6 different pipes, but this is my favorite, a Ben Wade. My favorite blend is probably Frog Morton On the Town. My local shop has a lot of bulk baccy's andI have been working my way through all them. Rattarays red Rapparee is another one that I really like.

2012-01-15_17-10-09_794.jpg