• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft Tomahawks

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
Thinking of a "Decent" tomahawk - I don't need a TACTICOOL type, I want one that is functional and can be thrown in the pack, into the truck, and used in a camp situation etc....

Who's got what?

Re: Tomahawks

I am partial to RMJ varieties. Not cheap, but forged from one piece of steel and should last several lifetimes. They may fit your category of tacticool but the don't charge a premium for that. If you compare other hawks, you will see you are getting what you pay for with an RMJ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am partial to RMJ varieties. Not cheap, but forged from one piece of steel and should last several lifetimes. They may fit your category of tacticool but the don't charge a premium for that. If you compare other hawks, you will see you are getting what you pay for with an RMJ.
</div></div> I have never heard of them before so thanks for the heads-up. They are very pricey but as you say, you get what you pay for.

It's larger than a tomahawk but the Estwing E45A Camp Axe is a nice tool.

Estwing-E45A-rw-150792-252294.jpg

Between it and a Tom Brown Tracker knife all camp firewood needs are met.

GRANFORS BRUKS Axe, the best axe I've owned to date, and I've owned a few.

I've used it for pretty much anything you can think of, from chopping campside firewood to dressing a deer to chopping salad. A couple of passes on the wet stone and it's sharper than my sushi knife.

It's not cheap thou, think I paid $175 for it a few years back.

GB does make a nice axe along with their sister company, Wetterlings.

Estwings are still made in the USA and are a great value.

If the OP is looking for a camp tool, this is definitely the way to go.

I've got a friend that makes what you're looking for. His name is Lee Reeves. He knows his stuff and is a great guy. Quality is exceptional.

http://ssidders.tripod.com/id358.htm

While I was doing some work for him, he took my then 10 year old son into his shop and started him with round stock tool steel. About four hours later, the boy had completed his first hand forged knife, shaped, tempered, and treated. All that needed done was a handle needed made and then the final sharpening.

I'll give my business to those type of people every chance I get.

Look for a website that deals with "Rendevous" equipment. Lifestyle reenacting from long-hunter/settler time period and attire and tools. These guys compete with their hawks. I have used several to help with field dressing a deer and they work great and shouldn't be that expensive. They are all wood handles so that might be a factor in your decision.

Got an SOG and keep it in the UTV. Comes in really handy and its pretty stout. For the money, its a heck of a tool.

IIRC, Steve Woods (maker of the hide fighter) had some pics of ones he did on his site... You might contact him.

The S13 Shrike has my vote - small, lightweight - that's what I was looking for!

Would be cool just to get a Tomahawk head and re-work it if someone has one lying around.

I used to have an old 1800's indian tomahawk but gave it to an ex g/f...(Doh!)

I have used my RMJ for a 1000 diferent things, i bought it with a specific purpose slightly tactical but not for headhunting or anything. they are used a lot by rescue units as a tool which is very similar to what i use mine for. if you look on youtube you can find the owner of RMJ taking apart a car with one, pretty freaking cool.

here is one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOZ5gLSefhY

An earlier poster made mention of the Estwing axe. There are 2 sizes of those. One is more of a hatchet. It is less than $40(might be less than $30) and is made hell for stout. Tacticool by no means, it does appear to be all business.

For one to "throw in a pack," I have a little Gerber. It is handy a pocket on a shirt and seems to be fairly durable.

I picked up a couple of Cast Iron Tomahawk heads on E-bay for $10, going to sharpen them and builds ome handles.

I like Gerber stuff, the other "Tacticool" Tomahawks are rather expensive...I can't see paying $300+ for something that will b e used as a tool, since I"m not hand to hand combat fighting it's not reasonable for me.

I'd be concerned that a cast iron head won't hold an edge very well, as it will be soft. If you're setting the edge, you might go with somewhat beefier on the angle.
I'm in the process of forging one from an HC railroad spike, simply because it looked like a fun project. It's coming together well. We'll see how well it will hold an edge.
CW

If you want to forge another I'd be interested. Perhaps I can make handles and you make the heads?

The two cast iron Tomahawk's will be wall mounts - I love working with wood so I will make some rustic looking handles for them and cross them on the wall.
Now for real life attaching to the go-bag - I'll patiently wait for one to come up.

This one is a wok in progress. I flattened and split the spike end, and folded it back on itself for a wider area to mount a handle.
It's progressed a bit since this picture was taken.
I'm depabing on how much grinding and sanding to do, because I could make a polished piece that looks machine made, but I kinda like the rough hammered finish, with the exception of the portion that will be sharpened.
I'm wanting to do a round poll eye in the next one.
IMG00182-20110727-1803.jpg

Ive got the SOG F01T that I keep in the truck. Has been very useful thus far and seems sturdy enough to last.

CW, I like what your doing there. You might like these, a great review and history.

http://furtradetomahawks.tripod.com/

John Baldwins master work, now hard to get (book average price nearing $400) so this one is a steal

http://www.allbookstores.com/Tomahawks-Pipe-Axes-American-Frontier/9780965114608

Others might start here...

http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/index.php/cPath/220

http://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html

http://www.nvsikligar.com/onlineshopping.aspx?cat=4

That way you can work the handle lengths to fit your task. Unlike the RMJs, Nams, etc. with their fixed handles (own 'em, great) until you actually use a hawk and can change the handle length, you can never know what you are missing.

Hunting set, joint buster...

HUNTING.jpg

Great reading. Thanks for the links.

Here's another link that might interest you, with regard to how various styles of hawk are made.
CW

CW, any chance of an update? Would definitely like to see how things are/did work out with that RailRoad spike project.

Absolutely.

Everyone needs a 'hawk when the Redcoats need an ass kickin' for messing with your kids.....

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rc4804a6u6Y"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rc4804a6u6Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

GF got me a battlehawk for christmas. It's the tacticoolest.
IMG_20111224_230634.jpg

She's still learning
smile.gif
solid S7 though, so it's pretty tough

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CW, any chance of an update? Would definitely like to see how things are/did work out with that RailRoad spike project.

Absolutely.
</div></div>

Can do.
I'm glad to see this thread revived. I'd be interested to see how ArcticLight's project has progressed as well.
I have made some progress, but it got pushed to the back burner for a while. I maintained most of the shape that you saw above. I did a little more tweaking with the hammer, then ground it just enough to shape the edges, and left the rest as-smithed. I've hardened and tempered the edges.
I've not yet done much for the handle.
As this one is going to have to sit down in a cut-out in the handle, I'm thinking about welding several inches of round rod to the bottom, drilling out the handle, and epoxy bedding the whole thing in. I'll probablly cross-pin it too. That outght to make it a heck of a lot stronger.
I've since begun one with a round poll-eye split and drifted in. I'm looking forward to playing with this deign as well.
I'll get some pics put together next time I play with the forge.
CW

Just got my fort turner "rogers rangers hawk and it was only bout $150 with a good heavy leather sheath. Its pretty sick and its hand forged. Look em up.

I've carried into the woods the past probably 30 years the carpenter's hatchet my grandfather used as a carpenter for Southern Railway in the very early 1900s. He used it fitting wooden livestock cars before they went to steel then to refrigerated cars.

The handle in it now is a factory one that I shaved with a piece of thick plate glass to fit it to the head. ( That was before we had cable TV or a computer... hahaha) It's beeen in whatever 4X4 vehicle I was driving at the time with my standard tool kit.

not sure if they still carry them, but you can,t beat the old style boy scout hatchet. compact and tuff. can be thrown, but not as easy as a forged, wooden handled hawk. never understood why you would want to throw your last weapon at somebody. they may just pick it up and chop you up with it. eeeeeuuuuuu

Any of you guys tried the Woodman's Pal survival tool? Very interesting design, but how useful is it in the field?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't think it is possible to get one cheaper. It came in 4 days. Pretty nice and if I lose it or it breaks (don't think I could if I tried) it won't be to much skin off my hide.
SOG Tomahawk
http://www.lapolicegear.com/ss-sog-f01t-tomahawk.html

SOG-Fusion-Tactical-Tomahawk-600x512.jpg
</div></div>

How sturdy does it feel? think it would hold up to chopping wood?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't think it is possible to get one cheaper. It came in 4 days. Pretty nice and if I lose it or it breaks (don't think I could if I tried) it won't be to much skin off my hide.
SOG Tomahawk
http://www.lapolicegear.com/ss-sog-f01t-tomahawk.html

SOG-Fusion-Tactical-Tomahawk-600x512.jpg
</div></div>

How sturdy does it feel? think it would hold up to chopping wood?</div></div>
Oh yeah it seems plenty tough. Does not seem flimsy at all. the handle seems very solid and it has two pretty big bolts that hold the blade to the handle. I would have no problem chopping wood. Although the edge side is not as big as a normal handheld axe so it may take extra whacks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How sturdy does it feel? think it would hold up to chopping wood? </div></div>

I have one of these and was quite impressed. It's held up great and gives me quite a bit of confidence in it's ability and durability.

When SOG first came out with these they had wood handles. They sent a few to some troops in the sand box to play with. Out of the ones they sent (I believe it was 10) the handle on one broke. These troops were really pushing them chopping up doors and 50gal drums and such. SOG said the one handle failure wasn't acceptable so they switched to the synthetic handle.

For the money they're a good choice.

Another good choice (and I have a good bit of personal experience with these as well) would be the offerings from Cold Steel. Bit more traditional designs but they're excellent steel and good hickory handles. The really make them work well you will need to do some fitting of the head to the haft but not a big deal and can be done with hand tools.

I love tomahawks and find them to be an excellent field tool for chopping.

Charlie

50cal,
Devon lives right down the road from me and is a great young man as well as his family, the Price family. Have had the opportunity to give some input on his hawks and his builds are second to none. For anyone looking for a traditional hawk, military, or any type of custom blade give Devon a serious look. He is a young devoted craftsman that will be around for a long time!

I have a small fiskars hatchet. It is like the gerber stuff I think. Not sure if or who makes them for both brands. Fiskars is good quality though.

-polarcow

I bought one of the SOG fasthawks from walmart during their christmas special sales for $20. Wasn't sure how good it was going to be, but I tried it because of the decent reputation that sog has. I liked it so much that i bought the larger one in the tomahawk and also like it. They are pretty sturdy and hold a good edge. I now carry the tomahawk sized one in my patrol car and have used it many times to chop up trees that have fallen in the road after a bad storm. People laugh and say " you're gonna be there all day chopping away, just wait for the fire department". But they are very surprised when I chop through most trees within 10-15 chops and clear the road before the page can get over the radio for the fire department.

I really like the SOG brand and plan on getting more of them. Oh and the SOG fasthawk is idea if you are on a special response team like "swat, SRT, or any of the other teams" because its functional but small size make it easy to attach to vests or other bags. The perfect size to chop or even help make entry...