• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Too much Koolaid?

Bob Shaver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2006
Illinois
With the exception of one Streamlight I have mounted to a 1911, every weapon light I have is a Surefire.

I've always been a fan of quality, but after getting the last Cheaper than Dirt catalog etc I have to ask if I'm misguided? I see multiple lights with longer run times and more lumens for a lot less money.

So what's been your experience with off brand lights?

Re: Too much Koolaid?

I bought a cheap light the other day ($35) to mount on my AR. The light is good and bright but the overall quality and lack of weather/waterproofing is the main thing that jumps out at me. (I am sure I will get $35 of use out of it though)

The only off brand light I have is an Olight m21. Its been great and has been mounted on my AR since I got it. I am considering changing it out for a Streamlight supertac because I dont really need all the different modes the M21 offers for a gun light.

FWIW, if you like building stuff, you could probably just build a light better and cheaper than anything you could buy.

And another fwiw, surefire is considered koolaid for a reason, they make good stuff. My gf carries a 6p led for her duty light.

Does your life depend on it? If not then get the cheapest light you can and replace it when it goes out.

Been very satisfied with my Streamlights, bright little suckers for the money.

I used an Early Streamlight for about 8 months before the mount broke. It was $89.00, I dont think I got my $ worth out of it. My unit was forced to purchase Glock brand lights for our G22's. Almost every single one them broke or stopped working during the first few hours of range use.

What do you do when 10+ lights shoot craps and you need to get operational?? You dig out the Surefire lights that have seen thousands of rounds and at least 11 years of HARD use by SWAT grunts. Big as shit, and the 6004 holster were the size of a boat paddle but they soldiered on long enough for Staff Commanders to make another poor decision about what was best for the team.

Just saying.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used an Early Streamlight for about 8 months before the mount broke. It was $89.00, I dont think I got my $ worth out of it. My unit was forced to purchase Glock brand lights for our G22's. Almost every single one them broke or stopped working during the first few hours of range use.

What do you do when 10+ lights shoot craps and you need to get operational?? You dig out the Surefire lights that have seen thousands of rounds and at least 11 years of HARD use by SWAT grunts. Big as shit, and the 6004 holster were the size of a boat paddle but they soldiered on long enough for Staff Commanders to make another poor decision about what was best for the team.

Just saying..... </div></div>

But.....He's not bitter
grin.gif

I think the new LED flashlights are game changers and Surefire is no longer the only game in town. Mounted a Fenix light to my shotgun and it seems to work well...only $50 for 180 lumen led light.

I have the shurefire LX2 LUMAMAX and can say that its one of the best LED torch lights I have seen.

the hellfighter lights that are out are damn sure tempting, brighter, longer run time, great customer service, and made right here in the us

I mounted a g2 with a led bezel on my ar.
Runs like a timex and inexpensive to boot!

I agree the led lights have changed the game for handhelds and I do bet my life to brands other than surefire. When it comes to weapon mounted lights I stick with the surefire or streamlight stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the hellfighter lights that are out are damn sure tempting, brighter, longer run time, great customer service, and made right here in the us </div></div>

You realize Hellfighter lights and Countersniper scopes are the same company??? The whole company is a crock. If you believe anything they say, I have a bridge you need to buy.

Do some research.

Surefire has always worked well for me and gave me no reason to try anything else. They may cost more but mine have always worked 100% of the time.

I've had good experiences with both a Streamlight Polytac ($40ish) and Olight T20 ($50ish). For my purposes (IDPA, camping, home improvment, general use) I'd rather buy a handful of cheaper lights and have them in various places (car/truck, safe, workshop, range bag, etc) than one expensive light I'm worried about losing.

If I was LEO/mil I'd probably spend the cash...but otherwise I do think that KoolAid is a bit too expensive.

I just recently purchased my first Surefire flashlight (closeout from LAPoliceGear.com) I like the reputation that they have and that I spent my money on American labor. However, I think for the kind of money surefire charges every one of their lights ought to be waterproof not water resistant. Correct me if I am wrong but I went through every page of their website and associated material and found nothing claiming more than weather resistance. With the level of their machining and the tolerances they use, it can not be that difficult to put in some quality seals.
Regardless, I love my light and it will accomplish its primary task with aplomb - checking out any bumps in the night in and around my home.

I have a couple of SF lights. Yeah, they all work, so does all my other lights that don't cost 3x as much. And from what I hear, all the LEDs are made overseas in Korea. Just that you are paying for the name and SF marketing. Those full on magazine spreads are not cheap.

Look in to some of the fenix flash lights. I have 2 of the and love them. I have one mounted on my ar with a weaver style scope ring and have not had any problems. and the other one i carry everyday on me. Both lights have adjustable light output 1 setting is strobe. 1 flash and 1 is SOS. The other setting 1 is 8 lumen and setting 9 is 230 lumen. it also has 2-8 on the settings but unsure of the lumen levels. on 8 lumen the battery last 8 or 9 days and on 230 lumen the battery last 8 hours. you can also get rechargeable battery's for them..

If I was just putting a light on my weapon to utilize my rail I would go with any reasonably priced light. When I put a light on a duty weapon I demand the best quality, and a company's reputation has a lot to do with it.

Also if you are military or law enforcement Surefire gives you 20% off. That makes an x300 or an 870 led for-end light a little more reasonable. Now it is only a few dollars more than the cheaper lights.