• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Took the 33xc 3050 yards

joseph-98

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 24, 2012
Nevada
www.instagram.com
Shot the southwest url match today. The 33xc performed very good. I on the other hand a few small issues that will not be happening again, I planned to shoot off the ground but the landscape was not going to allow for that so I had to shoot off a table only problem is all the tables were right hand cutouts. And the reason that is a problem is because I'm a left handed shooter. so I pretty much had to stand and lay across the tables. So very unstable.
I didn't have time to do proper load development so I just threw together 2 different loads. And the atips were the ones I decided on great sd and less then .5 inch group.

1760 yards
2251 yards
2680 yards
3050 yards

The atips held together very well at all distance had several hits on the first two. But the last two that inconsistencies of the table really showed up.

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_145045_524.jpg
    IMG_20210905_145045_524.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 505
  • 20210904_151447.jpg
    20210904_151447.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 565
  • 20210717_122059.jpg
    20210717_122059.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 563
  • 20210905_065121.jpg
    20210905_065121.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Those benches are crazy what a dream that firing line is beautiful. What kind of monthly/annual does that range cost? Location? Nice! Is that some kind of sound absorbing material on the ceiling? Horse mat pad on top of bench?

Those benches are crazy what a dream that firing line is beautiful. What kind of monthly/annual does that range cost? Location? Nice! Is that some kind of sound absorbing material on the ceiling? Horse mat pad on top of bench?
Those were not the benches at the match ...I took that pic when I ran over to the range to see what these bullets would do the afternoon before the match...
Las vegas 150$ a year

My question is...why do you care if the bench is left or right cut out? I shoot 1 mile benchrest once a month and I square my shoulders up on the rifle just like when shooting ELR prone....I have hips and shoulders square behind the rifle with the rifle pulled back to me at the back edge of the bench. Both my feet are flat on the ground and my toes are pointed to the target. The key to shooting off a bench is to have a nice drummers throne that adjusts up and down so you are the right height so your check weld is perfect and you aren't fighting to stay locked in.

Also, I'm jealous...I haven't shot at anything over 2500 yet.

My question is...why do you care if the bench is left or right cut out? I shoot 1 mile benchrest once a month and I square my shoulders up on the rifle just like when shooting ELR prone....I have hips and shoulders square behind the rifle with the rifle pulled back to me at the back edge of the bench. Both my feet are flat on the ground and my toes are pointed to the target. The key to shooting off a bench is to have a nice drummers throne that adjusts up and down so you are the right height so your check weld is perfect and you aren't fighting to stay locked in.

Lol because when a bench is cut out you can get close and behind the rifle when it's not you have to stand up behind it and lay across.. next time you have a chance put your rifle on a rectangle table and try and get in the position your talking about alot. With wide stance bipods you can't get it close enough tho the edge with out it falling off... thats why shooting benches are normally knocked so you can sit directly behind it

What do the benchs you shoot off of look like ?

Maybe you haven't caught on I'm a left handed shooter

What do the benchs you shoot off of look like ?

Depends on the location...some look like the photo in the first post....concrete with both left and right....some are wood with right handed cut out only....some are just square....or rectangle. I've shot off plastic folding tables....doesn't really matter to me. It used to bug the crap out of me when the right cut out was cut too deep or not enough....or at the wrong angle...but since I started shooting bench like I shoot prone...and square up...I really don't even think about the bench layout any more.

Depends on the location...some look like the photo in the first post....concrete with both left and right....some are wood with right handed cut out only....some are just square....or rectangle. I've shot off plastic folding tables....doesn't really matter to me. It used to bug the crap out of me when the right cut out was cut too deep or not enough....or at the wrong angle...but since I started shooting bench like I shoot prone...and square up...I really don't even think about the bench layout any more.
Lol as stated in the first post..... .I was planning on shooting prone... but the landscape would not allow it.. and I shoot prone 100% of the time .... so now having a table " not use to shooting from tables" and then having no cut out.. so it wasn't a natural shooting position... then you made my point by saying it use to bug me when they were over cut or not deep enough.... man I feel like you know exactly what I'm talking about... why are you questioning it so much lol

then you made my point by saying it use to bug me when they were over cut or not deep enough.... man I feel like you know exactly what I'm talking about... why are you questioning it so much lol

Yea...I know exactly what you are feeling...but after a LOT of time behind the bench...I changed....so I guess my tone was a bit off on my first post. It's weird...I shoot with a lot of guys who have shot bench their whole lives....and me...I spent most of my life down in the dirt....sniffing clay and kissing ants...but now that I'm having success...I see a lot of experienced guys starting to shift to the back of the bench.

When we don't have 40lb guns on linear rails....when we are shooting 'tactical benchrest'....or ELR from a bench....we have to spot our own shots...and that's a little difficult when you are to the side of the rifle and that magnum recoil throws your sight picture all over the place.

I guess my first post should have been.....don't worry about the cut outs...just shoot bench like you shoot prone...square up...it will be a better position...and feel more natural to you. But like I said..the key is to have a seat that is adjustable to get you to the right height.

Yea...I know exactly what you are feeling...but after a LOT of time behind the bench...I changed....so I guess my tone was a bit off on my first post. It's weird...I shoot with a lot of guys who have shot bench their whole lives....and me...I spent most of my life down in the dirt....sniffing clay and kissing ants...but now that I'm having success...I see a lot of experienced guys starting to shift to the back of the bench.

When we don't have 40lb guns on linear rails....when we are shooting 'tactical benchrest'....or ELR from a bench....we have to spot our own shots...and that's a little difficult when you are to the side of the rifle and that magnum recoil throws your sight picture all over the place.

I guess my first post should have been.....don't worry about the cut outs...just shoot bench like you shoot prone...square up...it will be a better position...and feel more natural to you. But like I said..the key is to have a seat that is adjustable to get you to the right height.

I think it would of been allot different if I could of got on the ground like I originally wanted to. But I have already got a bench for just in case next time . I don't like depending on others so problem solved for next time. I still prefer prone. But at least I'll be able to get behind it lol

Attachments

• received_277616797205398.jpeg
    received_277616797205398.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 104
Good job on the load development.

I'm also having good luck with a 33xc. This is the 300 Atip with 24N41 from a 30" barrel chambered with the solids reamer. QL gives 3100 fps for this load with a 34" barrel, so it's maybe 2 - 2.5 grains, 3-4ksi lighter than what you're running. No pressure signs on the brass, but the ATips gave better 100 yard groups and vertical beyond 2000 yards if I kept the pressures down. The brass would take 3100 fps with these bullets in this barrel before it became difficult to size. I also tested Retumbo and came to the conclusion it was a little fast, H50 required compressed loads to give high velocities.

5 at 100 yards

Group.jpg

10 shot string.

IMG_3232.PNG

I made a solid buffer tube from stainless steel for the XLR chassis. It's longer than the provided buffer tube as well.

IMG_3282.JPG

The extra 3 pounds at the back really helped the tracking and keeping the target in the field of view during recoil.

I've done a few wildcats, but the reamer, brass, dies package from Tubb has been the easy button for 338 ELR.

I have a 32" 1:7 barrel to try with solids the next time I have an action that needs a barrel.

Reactions: Balor
I think it would of been allot different if I could of got on the ground like I originally wanted to. But I have already got a bench for just in case next time . I don't like depending on others so problem solved for next time. I still prefer prone. But at least I'll be able to get behind it lol
Do you have any pics of that table unfolded by chance? Would love to see it or any build specs if you feel up to it please. Thanks

The key to shooting off a bench is to have a nice drummers throne that adjusts up and down so you are the right height so your check weld is perfect and you aren't fighting to stay locked in.
I bought a Roc n Soc drummers throne for just that reason...not ELR, just hated sitting on the side of a bench and could never quite figure out why pretty much all benches are still made that way.

And, while it may not be the case for the OP, I find there to be absolutely zero problem shooting from the square back of the bench. Raise the throne a bit, lean forward a bit (which I want to do anyway) and Robert's your mother's brother. :)

Reactions: b2lee
Yeah im using imr 8133 it works very well so far.. I ordered some h50 to see how it works but I'm really liking how the 8133 is working. I may try a few little things to see how it goes... ialso made some 275 Lazer cutting edge rounds and they are screamers. But the group was a bit shitty so I decided to shoot the atips at the match

Attachments

• 20210904_151756.jpg
    20210904_151756.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 65
Ever try any .338 257 grain Lehigh’s, in your 33XC?

I do the same, get squared up at the back of the bench and ignore the cut outs.
Made me a lot more consistent at shoot off of a bench.

I’m tempted to try the A tip in my 338 edge but I’m worried they will Houdini with my 1-8 twist.

Sadly I haven’t been able to get past two miles this year because it’s be hard to get friends out to shooting and spotting or the life drama shit in July and August :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
I do the same, get squared up at the back of the bench and ignore the cut outs.
Made me a lot more consistent at shoot off of a bench.

I’m tempted to try the A tip in my 338 edge but I’m worried they will Houdini with my 1-8 twist.

Sadly I haven’t been able to get past two miles this year because it’s be hard to get friends out to shooting and spotting or the life drama shit in July and August :(
3200 fps and the atips stand strong ...

great thank you so much for that....love that setup

Great looking rifle and shooting. I see you are running the Ivey(loving mine) and I see some others using them as well. Are most competitors running adj bases, or CTs, or a combo or base/rings etc...

The base option is certainly the cheaper route over a prism or Charlie tarac.

I went with the Charlie tarac because of the adjustment range and easily being able to move from rifle to rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: newageroman
The base option is certainly the cheaper route over a prism or Charlie tarac.

I went with the Charlie tarac because of the adjustment range and easily being able to move from rifle to rifle.
Well I went with the base, because I only have one elr rifle and all my other rifles have their own optics. And I have 100 yard zero and can dial 300 moa still.

I see you are using a M&S adjustable bag base. Do you know which one it is? V3 or V4? I have a V3 and have been trying to find a decent rear bag for it. Mind sharing which Protecktor model you have?

How do you like the bag with the adjustable base?

I see you are using a M&S adjustable bag base. Do you know which one it is? V3 or V4? I have a V3 and have been trying to find a decent rear bag for it. Mind sharing which Protecktor model you have?

How do you like the bag with the adjustable base?
Mine is the v4, i had to v
Call them about the bag, i had to make it half as tall, and also made it flat instead of the angled bag

I like using it, very stable

Thanks for the input Jospeh! will give them a call and see if they can make a custom bag for the V3.

Reactions: joseph-98
Nice guns!

I also built a 338 class Long range rifle this winter. But went with 338 Lapua AI. 1:8 twist 31,5" Barrel.
Settled for 3150ft/s with 285 Warner Tool flatlines. Cant wait to bring her out as far as possible, Only could try it to 900m and only needed 4.9mils to score hits.

Reactions: joseph-98
Nice guns!

I also built a 338 class Long range rifle this winter. But went with 338 Lapua AI. 1:8 twist 31,5" Barrel.
Settled for 3150ft/s with 285 Warner Tool flatlines. Cant wait to bring her out as far as possible, Only could try it to 900m and only needed 4.9mils to score hits.
Very cool , yeah these things are wicked for sure. I found a good spot right about the same place 3150ish

Reactions: archer_custom