• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Took the 7SAUM to 1650 (Range report)

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    So I had a few minutes today to stretch the DTA SRS Covert in 7SAUM out to a confirmed 1650 today, (but I suspect it was actually a bit further).
    I've been meaning to get a range report out on this rifle for some time due to the many questions about not just the 7SAUM but the 7SAUM in a DTA. So, for the record, here are the specs; DTA SRS Covert, sporting a SAC built 24" 8.5 twist Bartlein, the load was 60.5gr of H4831SC under a 162 Amax, velocity chronoed at 3020.
    IMG_0737.jpg

For those that are curious, I have gotten the DTA mag to feed this load <span style="font-style: italic">pretty</span> well, but not 100%. I still haven't gotten around to altering my mags a little bit to feed 100%.
    Conditions were great today, about 87F, little to no wind, and a slight uphill angle, here is a pic of my shooting lane:
    IMG_0729.jpg

And to save time in describing where I was shooting, I just Google Earthed a pic with a line of the shot.

1650yds.jpg

Google said it was 1647, but due to the elevation I dialed, and the fact that my dope runs a little high, I think it may have been a bit further, probably closer to a mile, but who knows without some more expensive ranging equipment. The altitude was 5400.
    So I got setup, and dry fired a couple times to ensure a good stance, and stability, then I got right to it. I had to make an educated guess on the distance since my Leica wouldn't go far enough, I figured it had to be close to a mile, so I looked at Shooter, and it said 16.08 MIL, so I dialed it in and fired. It hit high, one MIL high, so I dialed down and corrected for the wind, and within two more shots I was hitting the rock .5MIL wide and about .3MIL tall. small changes in the wind were apparent but not difficult to combat with this high BC screamer. Here is a scope shot: ( the target rock is the rock 3MIL's left and one down from the crosshair.
    IMG_0734.jpg

I shot a couple more times to confirm, and to inflate my self esteem. Then I shot at 1200 (8.0MIL) and 800 (4.2MIL). It was awesome, this thing is very powerful. And the recoil was very manageable.

IMG_0733.jpg

I took a couple more shots to see how good/bad my camo job fits in:

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

This combination has had just a few setbacks for me, but overall I am EXTREMELY happy with it. I cant wait till fall, I've got a deer and an elk who are gonna get "deep sevened".

Thanks for looking
    grin.gif

Re: Took the 7SAUM to 1650 (Range report)

Nice! Im jealous, my poor 7saum has been languishing in the safe since memorial day. Need to load up some ammo and get it back out to play.

by "deep sevened" i hope you mean harvest them with your 7mm...
    wink.gif

nice shooting spot. hopefully there won't be any more concerned citizens taking interest in your activities.

Great write up an pictures! Great shooting. That's awesome results with a 24-inch barrel - very packable. Your pics reminded me of where I grew up (Grand Junction, CO). Good luck this fall!

Very nice write up and awesome job! Love the SAUM!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hopefully there won't be any more concerned citizens taking interest in your activities. </div></div>

Not at 5400 there wont be.

That is a heck of a nice setup. Thanks for such a detailed range report.

Awesome range report. Thanks for sharing. That DTA is a great looking/shooting stick. Great Camo.

I have enjoyed playing with the 7SAUM, great cartridge. Thanks for sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impulse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wtf dude. left me at home again. </div></div>Sorry, it was an unplanned event.

More to come though.......

Very nice performance! Looks like it would be a very pleasant rifle to shoot given the cartridge and suppressor..

Nice Hope to build a 7SAUM in a Surgeon WSM.

awesome set up and location, thanx for the review, now i am all confused again about my next caliber.
    thanx

Gents

The recent 7SAUM posts are real encouraging, I've one in build and as it takes 12+ months to get things together here choosing the SAUM looks like it was a good move

English

Ok guys, I got out for a few minutes this evening. There wasn't much time to shoot, and I was using it as an excuse to get up on the mountain with my kids. Who did extremely well considering the steep almost mile long hike up the mountain.
    There was a little wind comming down the canyon, probably 5-7 from about my 1:00. I took a cold bore shot at 800yds just to see how I would do, and I probably would have done fine, had I dialed the right dope
    mad.gif

After I corrected and was on at 800, I looked up the canyon at my 1650ish targets, and held some more wind, and fired a shot. Due to the different lighting because of the time of day, I shot at a different rock than last time. There was a better lit rock just a bit closer, and a bit larger than the previous target. About .9MIL wide and .7MIL tall. To my surprise the extra wind I held was unnecessary, I hit right of POI, so I held the correction and hit the rock, a couple times. It was awesome, this thing doesn't mind wind, and it smashes things.
    The best part was taking along my best spotter team:
    7 and 4
    IMG_08191.jpg

Looking through the objective end of the Leica hahahahahaha!

I cant wait till hunting season, this thing seems almost stupid easy to kill anything inside 1000yds (as long as I dial right!)

Good stuff! (nice rig btw)

Anything under a thousand is almost a gimme with the saum, haha

I haven't shot mine a whole lot yet, but I'm doing the same thing with over dialing the wind. I'm used to a 308 getting pushed around and the saum just goes right through it.

dude, i love your rifle. And sorry but I have my son tomorrow or else I would love to come shooting with you. Thanks for the invite though.

Got out again today with Chubbles and Burglecutt, as well as my other brother and a friend(the owner of CBM#2)

We shot a couple different targets ranging from 480 out to 1120, which unfortunately was about as far as we could reasonably see with the desert mirage. I was impressed with some of the other's shooting, Burglecutt walked out his LAR Grizzly .223 out to the 1120 target in 4 shots then hit it twice in a row. My buddy Dan shot CBM#2 out to the 1120 yd target and hit it multiple times as well, both guns firing Hornady 75 gr bullets.
    I had shot all my .308's up before we got to the 1120 so I slid in the 7mm barrel and got to it. The 162 Amax's knocked alot of paint off of my mild steel silhouette. The wind picked up and swirled as the day progressed which made it harder to see, and to make the hits. Most of the day it was blowing pretty good from our 5:00, but kept shifting and gusting. Which made our bullets go high and left with the gusts, and low and right when it died. The .308's were fun. We had a blast, got some sun, and learned some doping.

Here is the 1120 target, humbly fashioned out of mild steel with a torch:
    IMG_08411.jpg

And some pics:

DSCF6336.jpg

Chubbles and "The Phoenix" (PCR Badger2008/Kreiger/XLR/NF)

DSCF6340.jpg

620E1EA4.jpg

And here is a little video of the 7SAUM in action(1080HD):

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MZSLDpBHsqI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MZSLDpBHsqI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: F.N.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you using Remmy brass? If so, what prep. are you doing i.e. weight sorting, neck turning, etc.?
    </div></div>
    Yes I am, and to my delight it has been very consistent. The only prep I do is cutting them to length, chamfer the mouths, and uniform the flash hole a tiny bit. The necks have been so close that it isn't worth my time to turn them.

Got her out again today, shot a sweet video, its only 645 yds, but still shows how badass this thing is!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXYbPWaRBNY&feature=plcp"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXYbPWaRBNY&feature=plcp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

As always, enjoy it in 1080p