• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Took the Wife hunting

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    Finally got my wife on a successful hunt, she drew a doe pronghorn tag and made a perfect shot with the 257 Blackjack.
    Great experience and some good shooting:
    pitboss doe.jpg

Only thing common where I'm at is blaze orange man. Wish there was more opportunities.
    Ya same here. It’s also unheard of in NM and AZ where I hunt Speed Goats to EVER see a doe Tag. WY must have a healthy population, I loved your article. I took my wife hunting ONCE! Between the sniffles and moving around... Well she hasn’t been encouraged to come back out, the second day she asked if she could sleep in the truck for the first part of the hunt and what a blessing that was, I was finally able to get on some Bulls. Haha.

Happy to see your success story and you must be so proud of your wife, thanks for the great read as always.

Congratulations to both of you,I always enjoy your reviews and your naratives.Good luck on the rest of your season.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
    Very cool, my gf wants to go hunting, I think her view of is a bit skewed though. She only sees the end result when I get home, not what it took to make it happen. I am afraid once the reality of public land hunting sets in when she's with me it won't be a fun experience for her. I have walked many a miles only to stare at sage brush and grass lol.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
    Very cool, my gf wants to go hunting, I think her view of is a bit skewed though. She only sees the end result when I get home, not what it took to make it happen. I am afraid once the reality of public land hunting sets in when she's with me it won't be a fun experience for her. I have walked many a miles only to stare at sage brush and grass lol.
    Ya, the impression most get is not an accurate depiction of what needs to be done.

Juggling the antelope population in Wyoming is a huge pain in the ass. Some where around 2000-2005 about half on the pronghorn antelope in North America lived within a 200 mile radius of my house. Then things got tough and the state lost close to 100,000 antelope in a 5-6 year period due to disease, weather, predation, etc. Today the population has stabilized at around 400,000 pronghorn.

While the Wyoming Game and Fish has been struggling to match critter numbers to carrying capacity, trophy quality has gone down hill. We can't seem to get a break from the weather and the animals often times don't have the groceries required to make big horns. Then we have the issue of gene pools, etc. Things get complicated. In addition, hunters harvest about 70,000 antelope every year.

Good news is, the Wyoming Game and Fish are managing some areas of the state for trophy bucks. Give it a few years and we might even have a few antelope that score as well as those found in the best parts of Arizona. For now, a buck that scores around 80 points SCI is still possible with some time and effort in many parts of the state.