• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tooley Custom Rifle w/ AICS AX chassis

philodox

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2007
Athens, Ga
Tooley Custom Rifle w/ AICS AX chassis

***LONG POST WARNING***

Well, this build took a lot longer than expected. Finally, it’s all done! Here’s the skinny on my new Tooley Custom .308 rifle with my Accuracy International AX Chassis!

Here are the spec’s on the build:

Tooley Orion action
.308 Win 20” Hart 1-10 barrel threaded 5/8-24 with cap
AI AX Chassis
Trigger is a Rifle Basix set at 2 ½ lbs
Cerakote finish on the barreled action, melanite finish on the bolt
20MOA Badger rail

Total cost for the whole build minus the optics and my suppressor: $3575

I first met the Tooley Custom Rifles sales rep, Gary Springer, at the Southeastern SWAT championships in Spartanburg, SC back in May of 2010. Low and behold, he has some demo rifles with the AX Chassis on the vendor table. I offered to write him a check for one of the guns right there on the spot, but he told me that I would have to include my first born with it. He laughed, I wept silently. I took his business card and went on with the competition. I called him a few days after the competition and asked for Tooley to do a build for me with the AX Chassis as the stock. He said he’d have to run it by Dave Tooley to see if they could sell me one prior to release to the general public. He had to make a phone call to AINA to see if they would be able to provide a chassis for the build. A few days later I got the word, yes they would. So that started what turned out to be a longer than anticipated drama, none of which was Tooley’s fault. AI was taking their time to get the final product done right. It was well worth the wait. I’m nothing short of pleased.

Last June, Gary drove down to Athens, GA from Gastonia, NC just to go over spec’ing the rifle out. He brought a few demo guns so I could go over barrel contour, bolt knobs, and all that other good stuff. Here’s a link to the YouTube video I shot of that (very short).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgW2q5MaD8M

I decided to go with a 20” Hart 1 in 10 twist and one of the Orion actions built to Tooley’s spec. At the time, I was being told that my AX chassis would be ready by the end of July 2010. I wanted to go with a Bartlien Barrel, but the lead time was over 6 months back then. A Hart barrel would be available much sooner and fit better in the timeframe I was looking at getting the whole build finished in. Not to mention there is little, if any, discernable difference between the two barrels. I turned over custody of my Premiere Heritage scope to Gary so he could bring it to Dave Tooley for test firing once the barrel/action work was done. And I waited...

Fast forward to August 2010. As it drew closer to the end of August I was getting ancy about the build. I called Dave and he told me that AI was having problems getting the final version of the AX ready to market as they were adding features and tweaking the general design. I was fine with that with it being a new product line. I was expecting delays. He said most likely September/October time frame and it would be complete.

I gave Dave Tooley a call at his shop near the middle of October 2010 to get an update. He told me the action and barrel were finished, but AI was taking their sweet old time with the chassis as they were still in product development. He was nothing but apologies even though it was something he had no control over. Dave went out of his way in wanting to make me happy. He offered to buy a brand new AICS 2.0 chassis and give it to me as a loaner until the AX Chassis finally came in. I readily agreed.

November 8th I drove up to Gastonia, NC to pick up the gun. I felt like a crack head in a cocaine factory, I was so stoked. Dave’s shop was amazing. His shop was a real shooters wet dream. After picking up my jaw from on the floor I saw this sitting on the bench.

JonsRifleonAICS.jpg

I couldn’t wait to get back to shoot it. Personally, I can’t stand the AICS 2.0. The thumbhole just annoys the piss out of me. If I didn’t have to return the stock to Dave I would have taken a hacksaw to it to make it a pistol grip. The gun flat out shoots. Will consistantly do 3/8” 5 shot groups if you do your part. Wish I had taken grouping pics. I’ll do that later.

Fast forward several months. After numerous “I’m sorry Jon, but….” Phone calls, I was told 2 weeks ago that my chassis was in a shipment from England to AINA which would in turn be sent to Dave. My rifle chassis was coming in. Then Murphy struck, it had been damaged in transport somehow....

So, yesterday I sent Gary a text to check for updates . I’m sure I was bugging the piss out of him since I’ve been doing that since the start of this build. He finally told me yesterday that he had good news. They had another chassis in, problem was it was with black skins. He didn’t have to even ask the question if I wanted to wait for the correct color or not. “Heck yeah, I’ll take it” I told him. He said that he would drive up tomorrow (July 19) to deliver it to me.

So here I am, fondling my now completed gun (glad to be rid of that AICS 2.0). Need to get this sucker out to the range. I’ll try to do that tomorrow. Dave Tooley is a tip top rifle builder and his customer service is top notch. Can’t go wrong having him build you a gun.

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

SAM_0293.jpg

SAM_0295.jpg

SAM_0297.jpg

SAM_0298.jpg

SAM_0299.jpg

SAM_0300.jpg

SAM_0301.jpg

Re: Tooley Custom Rifle w/ AICS AX chassis

In addition, I have the following to add. The premiere heritage with Badger M40A3 34mm rings will not fit on the AICS AX Chassis with a badger 20moa rail. The front lip of the bell housing of the objective lens that allows for those cool flip out scope caps touches the fore end of the chassis as seen in the below photos

SAM_0302.jpg

This caused the rings themselves from seating all the way on the base as seen here

SAM_0296.jpg

That said, I have to either find someone to trade with so I can get higher rings, or fork out the cash to replace these badger rings.

I won’t be able to give a range report until I get the scope ring issue fixed.

That looks so good dude.. Pity about the rings/rail combo issue going on there

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks so good dude.. Pity about the rings/rail combo issue going on there </div></div>

Thanks and no kidding. I've waited a year and a month for this build to complete. I guess waiting another week for rings won't hurt that bad...

But the rifle is just screaming "shoot me!"..
frown.gif

How many pounds new stock lighter ? do you feel any difference between ax and aics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Ice 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How many pounds new stock lighter ? do you feel any difference between ax and aics? </div></div>

I haven't put it on a scale yet. I can tell you that with the suppressor, bipod, and scope the whole package probably weighs near 17 or 18lbs total unloaded. It's a heavy gun for sure.

The AX ergonomics are far superior IMHO. Take that with a grain of salt as I cannot stand the ergonomics of the regular AICS. I just don't dig the whole thumbhole concept.

I'll be able to do a detailed range report on the whole package as soon as I get the scope ring issue fixed. These badger m40a3 rings work fine on a regular run of the mill AICS chassis using my Heritage scope. The full floating forend of the AX is just abut 1/8" too high.

Oh well, probablem will be addressed tomorrow when vendors open.

whats the general price area for the ax chassis? i totally want one for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the general price area for the ax chassis? i totally want one for sure. </div></div>
About $1300 +/- depending on the bells and whistles you have installed from the factory.

Does anyone know what the procedure is to remove the barreled action from this chassis? I'm guessing there are a couple screws under the forearm grip that allow you to slide the barrel shroud off then proceed as normal?

And does this will work with a Jewell trigger without the need to mill or file the receiver like the current crop of AICS? I would think so, but I gotta ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim-VT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know what the procedure is to remove the barreled action from this chassis? I'm guessing there are a couple screws under the forearm grip that allow you to slide the barrel shroud off then proceed as normal?

And does this will work with a Jewell trigger without the need to mill or file the receiver like the current crop of AICS? I would think so, but I gotta ask. </div></div>

The forearm grip is held in place by 2 screws. Remove them and you get to the barrel shroud. It is held in place by 10 screws, yes 10. Once you remove that it's business as usual.

There is plenty of room for a jewel trigger in the AX chassis. There is at least 3/8" of space to all sides of the Rifle Basix trigger I have in there.

Congrats on your sweet build and getting through the torture you endured while waiting. Now shoot the damn thing and please post vids.

Disregard my question in the AI picture thread. I had not seen this post. However, BigJoe might still want to know the backstory on how you obtained the AX AICS before anyone else. Nice snag.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PESTRIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on your sweet build and getting through the torture you endured while waiting. Now shoot the damn thing and please post vids. </div></div>

I have to fix the scope ring issue first. I won't be able to get a handle on it until tomrrow. However, there will be pics/vids galore along with an in depth range report on the AX chassis and the custom build Dave Tooley did for me in the near future. Just have to get some more bugs worked out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1505,

Disregard my question in the AI picture thread. I had not seen this post. However, BigJoe might still want to know the backstory on how you obtained the AX AICS before anyone else. Nice snag.

Josh </div></div>

I lucked into the AX for the most part. I asked the right person in the right position with the right company and it happend. The cards just fell that way and I lucked out. Dave Tooley of TCR was a big help in getting the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1505scouts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition, I have the following to add. The premiere heritage with Badger M40A3 34mm rings will not fit on the AICS AX Chassis with a badger 20moa rail. The front lip of the bell housing of the objective lens that allows for those cool flip out scope caps touches the fore end of the chassis as seen in the below photos

SAM_0302.jpg

This caused the rings themselves from seating all the way on the base as seen here

SAM_0296.jpg

That said, I have to either find someone to trade with so I can get higher rings, or fork out the cash to replace these badger rings.

I won’t be able to give a range report until I get the scope ring issue fixed.
</div></div>

Just a thought - couldn't you have a relief cut milled out of the top of the rail at that point, so the scope would fit? It's not like you're going to put accessories that far back anyway, or at least not on the top..?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought - couldn't you have a relief cut milled out of the top of the rail at that point, so the scope would fit? It's not like you're going to put accessories that far back anyway, or at least not on the top..? </div></div>

I suppose I could. But I don't want to compromise the structural integrity should I decide to get night vision for the rifle.

Best bet is to get taller rings.

I bought the rings for the scope back when I had my FN SPR. They were the perfect size for that gun. I just didn't have the forsight to take the floating foreend into consideration for this build.

Sure - looks like the fore-end is one piece and could take it but you've got to be happy with it in the end.

I've thought about buying an AX and I must admit the additional height over bore caused by the fore-end is a little bit of an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure - looks like the fore-end is one piece and could take it but you've got to be happy with it in the end.

I've thought about buying an AX and I must admit the additional height over bore caused by the fore-end is a little bit of an issue. </div></div>

If it wasn't for the front lip that Premiere put on the bell housing of the ocular end so their nifty scope caps can fit on it, then I wouldn't be having this issue! I debated taking that lip off as it seems to screw on. However, upon further inspection it looked like if I unscrew it I open up the tube. I didn't want to do that :p

Dave found some rings for me in his shop. I just need to change out the battery on my calipers and measure to make sure the rings he has will give the proper fit. The rings he has are Talley, not sure what model. They are 34mm.

Well, new rings are in the mail. Have a set of Talley Tactical 34mm rings on the way. They are 1.250 inches from center line of the scope tube to the base. Should give me more than enough clearance for the Premiere to sit comfortably on the new chassis.

If all goes well, the post man should have them in my mailbox by Friday.

Folks,

I wanted to stay out of this but as I understand it this has heated up with people being upset with AI. <span style="font-weight: bold">We</span> have all been waiting a very long time while refinements took place and a full production model was being developed.

With that being said for the record I ordered 10 AX AICS a long long long time ago for a contract with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division for new sniper rifles. As it turned out I had one extra chassis from that order. If not for that Jon would be waiting just like I am for the remainder of my outstanding orders. I'd guess each and every one of you will get yours before I see anymore.

Took some better photo's today. Here they are. Wish the sun was out, but it was a little overcast.

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

Love that AX chassis, and Dave makes nice stuff. Enjoy that rig!

Still waiting on new scope rings to get here. That said, I won't be able to hit the range tomorrow. Range report will have to come next week at some point. Sorry for the delay guys.

That is one beautiful setup you have there .
I had a question on the chassis, can you tell or do you know what the barrel diameter max is at the receiver ? I think this is my next chassis, I was originally going for the JP stock but the max barrel diameter is something like 1.2" and mine is 1.3"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is one beautiful setup you have there .
I had a question on the chassis, can you tell or do you know what the barrel diameter max is at the receiver ? I think this is my next chassis, I was originally going for the JP stock but the max barrel diameter is something like 1.2" and mine is 1.3" </div></div>

I used my digital calipers to measure an interior diameter of the barrel shroud is 1.403 inches at the muzzle end. I'm sure it's consistent all the way down the tube.

Rings got here yesterday. Just finished mounting the scope on the new rings. Won't be able to hit the range until tomorrow after work.

I sure hope you're correct.. seeing this rifle gives me chills.

Is that normal ?

VERY NICE SETUP you got there !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sure hope you're correct.. seeing this rifle gives me chills.

Is that normal ?

VERY NICE SETUP you got there !!! </div></div>

I'm sure that the measurement is correct. Just double checked it. I would keep some space for the barrel to vibrate when each round is fired though. Wouldn't want to screw with the barrel harmonics and make each shot inaccurate.

In no way was I insinuating that your measurement was wrong. I'm sorry for the comment if it sounded like that. I have had my dreams (LOL) come to a screeching halt cause I assume to much about a chassis. I guess I'm more concerned with the measurement where the receiver meets the barrel.
AIAX.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In no way was I insinuating that your measurement was wrong. I'm sorry for the comment if it sounded like that. I have had my dreams (LOL) come to a screeching halt cause I assume to much about a chassis. I guess I'm more concerned with the measurement where the receiver meets the barrel. </div></div>

No worries man, didn't sound like that at all. I just wanted to make sure I gave you the correct measurement. It's the same inside diameter all along the fore end tube.

How heavy of a barrel are you wanting to get?! If it gets too heavy you'll need a hand truck to lug that rifle around.

The barrel is 1.30 right were it meets the receiver and tapers down to like 1.1inches if I'm not mistaken.
this ONE

I have that exact rifle but really like the look of the AX chassis as I liked the JP chassis. I'm more of a AR guy and these fit that look but with the bolt accuracy.

How long is your forehand grip, I hear there will be options on length ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel is 1.30 right were it meets the receiver and tapers down to like 1.1inches if I'm not mistaken.
this ONE

I have that exact rifle but really like the look of the AX chassis as I liked the JP chassis. I'm more of a AR guy and these fit that look but with the bolt accuracy.

How long is your forehand grip, I hear there will be options on length ? </div></div>

The forehand grip is 5 3/4 inches long. I haven't heard about options for a longer one. I've only heard about options for different backstaps for the pistol grip.

I meant the forehand rail, sorry.

i've starred at your rifle pictures literally all day, my boss would be pissed if he knew. LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I meant the forehand rail, sorry.

i've starred at your rifle pictures literally all day, my boss would be pissed if he knew. LMAO </div></div>

Ah, the fore end rail can either be 13 inches or 16 inches long. Mine is the 16 inch variety.

16" ? wow that means your suppressor takes up like 2" of your barrel or am I being thrown off by the pics ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16" ? wow that means your suppressor takes up like 2" of your barrel or am I being thrown off by the pics ? </div></div>

Angle of the pics is throwing you off. The barrel sticks out about 3 1/2 inches from the end of the barrel shroud. It looks a lot less because of the nomex can cover I have on the suppressor.

that must be it...

congrats again on the great looking rifle, can't wait to see how it shoots.

Nice to see one of these out in the wild at last...

Well, went out to the range last night. I only have about 20 minutes to spend there. My sons first pee wee football practice was last night and I had to be there to watch.

That said, I only had time to zero the rifle and shoot a group. I need to make time to hit the local 750yd range sometime in the near future.

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

After setting up I started to zero. Boy was the scope off! The new rings combined with the new chassis, my adjustments were 2.2mil up and 0.6mil left from my previous zero with the badger rings and old chassis. I didn't expect it to be that far off.

Here's the 5 shot group I sent downrange last night. Of course, as always, I manage to screw it up on the 5th shot. I suppose I could blame it on being uncomfortable as I shattered my right wrist in 8 pieces at the end of April. Have a plate and 11 screws in there right now. My first time shooting since the break.

If I don't count that 5th round, the group is .277 inches. Counting the 5th round it's .445 inches. Needless to say, I am very happy. I was shooting 168gr Hornady TAP factory law enforcement rounds.

5shotgroup72611.jpg

thats a great first outing and will only get better when you get your wrist used to the movements again.

Did they win ?

He missed the red dot three times...
smile.gif

I am looking forward to shooting that rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: froggy2229</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He missed the red dot three times...
smile.gif

I am looking forward to shooting that rig. </div></div>

You could have if you didn't have to play Mr. Mom yesterday and cook dinner
smile.gif

Well, went out to a long distance range today called Gun Site Hills. Was able to get some data shooting on steel from 300yds out to 675yds. Conditions were good. Humidity was around 70% and the temp was at 85deg when I started out at 9am. No wind. Way to build up a sweat walking downrange to paint said steel. Anyhoot. Here's a photo of a 5 shot group at 675 yards. Not sure of the size, but held up a $5 bill for reference.

IMG_1896.jpg

Dave builds one hell of a rifle. Anyone looking for a custom rig should hit him up, you won't be disappointed. I couldn't be happier with the one he built for me.

Beautiful, and I'm only a 10 minutes down the road from Dave.....hmmmmmm

Cant really tell by the pictures, but is the barrel shroud made of Aluminum, or is it a Composite type of material (very hard plastic?)
BTW your a lucky bastard to have this stock before its released in the USA
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cant really tell by the pictures, but is the barrel shroud made of Aluminum, or is it a Composite type of material (very hard plastic?)
BTW your a lucky bastard to have this stock before its released in the USA
smile.gif
</div></div>

The barrel shroud is made of aluminum. It needs to be to support the weight of any accessories, i.e. night vision, that you may want to place there. It's mounted to the chassis itself by 10 screws. It's as ridged as they come.

It's quite cool to watch the barrel vibrate when a round is fired. It's easy to see it in contrast to the shroud which does not vibrate.

And yes, I am very fortunate to have asked the right person at the right time. I could very very easily be waiting on this chassis just like everyone else.