• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top Shot

Re: Top Shot

When I'm out with the guys, whether out at the range, or at the pub, or at the restaurant, or at work, at weddings, at funerals, or just about anywhere else we talk about guns, shooting guns, gun components, ammo, reloading ammo, scopes, night vision, suppressors, and titties. I'm sure most here are like that as well. I haven't seen any of that sort of socialization going on with these groups. Just namby pamby whimperin' and whinin'.

It goes on, but that's not the stuff that makes for good TV. Or perhaps I should say, "successful TV".
The proven formula is friction and conflict.

this is the greatest show to EVER float the airways, or travel the fiber optic cable lines, just sayin

disregard, I still had the hot girlfriends thread on my brain, the show is entertaining but hokey as all hell, and Colby's a massive tool, listen to him next week, he's tryin so damn hard to act hard

Supposedly he builds custom hot-rods, or something like that.. but I'm somewhat in the know in Texas with cars and have never heard of him.

And yes, it's a shooting competition, retard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And yes, it's a shooting competition, retard. </div></div>

What are you, 8 years old?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It goes on, but that's not the stuff that makes for good TV. Or perhaps I should say, "successful TV".
The proven formula is friction and conflict.</div></div>

I have to agree. Sadly for most people drama makes the world (fun).

Nah, just dont like the way you write. You seem dimwitted, yet narcissistic at the same time; probably the result of never getting over being that little twerp instigator that got beat up allot in HS, nor ever get laid, so you take your vengence out on us all here in cyberspace.

I have nobody to blame here but myself for not noticing your "General Nuisance" warning.

*** SUBSCRIPTION CANCELED ***

Austin, TX called. They want their village idiot back.

The drama would still exist in my idea, but it would all be focused on the competition. Why do you make someone go home for failing a stage or personality contest? It is who is the top shooter overall and everyone has a bad day. We Americans like an underdog and comebacks, that's why we love the NFL. If they're going to continue to allow these shooters to squabble then I'd prefer the challenge include a duel like competition. Loser takes a dirt nap.

anyone know why that Denny guy's not gone? he blew balls in two events right up his skill alley, did I mention Colby's a massive tool?

No clue. Denny has shot like ass for the past 2 events and has yet to be elected. Meanwhile Kelly has gone to elimination 3 times and come back 3 times. I'm glad to see Brad gone though, his whining was irritating as hell. We'll see what next week brings I suppose.

The show is alot of drama, but what else is on on Sunday night?
You have to give it to kelly, he continues to send people packing, even when its not one of his known skills. Denny should have been gone already, he can't hit shit. He kept saying he wanted to be in the elimination challenge then backed down.

maybe next week Denny will get Kelley on all fours and ride him like he's a horse, maybe he'd tear up the course then....maybe go to wally world and get a toy horse thing, you know the one thats a horse head on a stick and he can shoot from it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phantasm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No clue. Denny has shot like ass for the past 2 events and has yet to be elected. Meanwhile Kelly has gone to elimination 3 times and come back 3 times. I'm glad to see Brad gone though, his whining was irritating as hell. We'll see what next week brings I suppose. </div></div>

I usually just browse this sight for info but thought I'd add some info..Denny hasn't shot with live amo in 10 years.. He shoots blanks in exhibition, basically a shower of sparks for breaking balloons.. He's kept around cause he's a nice guy. The others irritate each other..

Kelly and Mike have made up after the show.. Still the funniest line in the show.."She that bad?"
laugh.gif

UncleRay

I've been the "Expert" for 4 episodes of Top Shot now. What I can tell you after having been there is that what you see from your sofa is not the totality of the circumstances.

The stress factor weighs heavily on people when they know EVERYONE they've ever met is going to see them compete and judge them accordingly. This stress is not always beneficial to optimal performance.

At the highest level of counter-terrorist operations, we were tested again and again under various stressful conditions to inoculate us from the negative impact of stress upon human performance in a sudden, violent conflict crisis. This inoculation is particularly valuable when put to the test in real world application. Combat? of course. TV? would help there, too.

Here's an example of how good marksmen can fail a simple test which they are more than capable of performing in a relaxed state. On a contract I work, I recently saw 10 out of 12 seasoned operators from various service branches fail a shooting stress course they had been successfully practicing all week. Why? Because this time it was being judged by those who would decide whether or not these men had a job. Fail. Why? Stress. All conditions were the exact same, other than the fact they were being observed by men with stop watches and clip boards.

In addition to the stress factor of a major cable company crew surrounding them with expensive cameras everywhere, focused on their every move, you also have to consider many of these shooters make their living with pistols, not long guns. Yet, they had the courage to show up and compete on national television even though they knew they'd have anything and everything thrown at them.

If you don't have the courage to step up and put yourself on the line, how can you judge those who do? If that stings a bit, it probably should.

I applaud the show for putting shooting out there to the American people in a positive, responsible and FUN light when the rest of the media deliberately portray guns only as instruments of senseless murder and tragedy. That's a very good thing.

I also applaud the competitors for stepping up and giving it a go, even though they knew it would be an awkward situation viewed by their peers and only one could ultimately win.

When I see posts that demonstrate no respect or consideration for the factors reality presents, I figure I'm seeing some young kids who haven't been tested at anything, much less a competition against world-class marksmen in an unknown format on national television.

Suggestion: If you pull the banter up to a more professional level, you might be surprised how much more respect you'll get in return. Just a thought from a casual passer by who's been around the block.

Yes, there were some serious mistakes made by some of those on Top Shot. No excuses. That's the whole entertainment value of testing people like that on TV. There are no do-overs. If you screw up, it's out there for EVERYBODY to see and slam. Risky biz and kinda fun to observe.

There are a lot more shows like this to come. I've been invited to compete in some and be the host of others. There's plenty of opportunity to get out there and live, first hand, what I'm describing. I say, if you're good, get out there and give it a shot. Then, when you're done, share the experience with your forum buddies and let them know what it was like. Beats just hanging back and running people down without knowing. Besides, you might win a ton of cool stuff...

All the best,

~SAW

www.tacticalinsider.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAWMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
At the highest level of counter-terrorist operations, we were tested again and again under various stressful conditions to inoculate us from the negative impact of stress upon human performance in a sudden, violent conflict crisis. This inoculation is particularly valuable when put to the test in real world application. Combat? of course. TV? would help there, too.

Here's an example of how good marksmen can fail a simple test which they are more than capable of performing in a relaxed state. On a contract I work, I recently saw 10 out of 12 seasoned operators from various service branches fail a shooting stress course they had been successfully practicing all week. Why? Because this time it was being judged by those who would decide whether or not these men had a job. Fail. Why? Stress. </div></div>

You just contradicted yourself... These were all competitors, stress of shooting well is not new to them, they just sucked.. Listen, the show is called "TOP SHOT" not "Expert Pistol/ Average Rifle" The casting for the show sucked! If you bring on a guy to a top markmanship show because he is an expert at throwing knives.... your wasting your time and looking like a fool. I heard way too many guys on that show pick up a slew of diffrent weapons and say to the camera they had never fired this type of weapon before...

I understand you kind of biased because your deeply involved in the production, but the show sucked.. And Im saying this as part of the shooting community, and my sentiments are shared with every one of my brothers in arms when this show comes up in conversation.

This show is NOT for the standard door kicking operator, or even the <span style="text-decoration: underline">average</span> 3 gun competitior, as either one of these is very comfortable shooting under stress. This show is for the high school kids who think its cool to see a mason jar of gum drops explode in slow motion. I seriously thought about putting up a video for the casting call for season 2 just to save the reputation of everyone who has ever picked up a gun. Unfortunately, I had to re-deploy and I make more at work then I would shooting marbles with a sling shot on TV.

I know you already have your cast for season 2 set, and HOPE the show raised some intrest enough to have some ACTUAL multi-faceted shooters show up. But the space on my TIVO is going to be put to better use elsewhere. Good Luck

Happen to know guys that applied, but guess there was not enough <span style="font-weight: bold">Drama</span> in their sent packages. These guys have/do walk the talk, so I'm guessing that's not what the show is really about or they were looking for. Next time you might print up fliers and post them at public ranges, I'm sure you'll find the kind of applicants your really looking for. YMMV

I was sent to LA for casting for season 1 and sent back for season 2. Both times I showed the producers my outgoing personality and ability to tear the x out of a piece of paper. I don't want to toot my horn too much; but I fucking rock and would be 100 thou richer if picked. I did get a chance to meet those who they did choose and they are some pretty stand up people, except one, but I really feel that if the show was a little more geared for performance I would have stood in place of a couple of those that I know didn't match my abilities.

Frankly I thought the show sucked. I've seen some great shooting and shooters. They just don't have the flair (BS)that show wants.

Any half way dicent ISU Pistol shooter would excell on the shoots your show presents. (If you can shoot international pistol, you can shoot anything)

ISU shooters are quiet, all about concentration, no flair, no bragging about the bird dog BEFORE the hunt, just plain results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure, bend over!

</div></div>

You promise!

For those wishing for less drama and more demanding challenges, shows like that are coming on various networks. Some of them just might be pretty good. Only time will tell. Just know others have had the same thoughts and it's already being put into action. That's about all I dare say for now.

Best,

~SAW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was sent to LA for casting for season 1 and sent back for season 2. Both times I showed the producers my outgoing personality and ability to tear the x out of a piece of paper. I don't want to toot my horn too much; but I fucking rock and would be 100 thou richer if picked. I did get a chance to meet those who they did choose and they are some pretty stand up people, except one, but I really feel that if the show was a little more geared for performance I would have stood in place of a couple of those that I know didn't match my abilities.</div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYdwe3ArFWA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYdwe3ArFWA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was sent to LA for casting for season 1 and sent back for season 2. Both times I showed the producers my outgoing personality and ability to tear the x out of a piece of paper. I don't want to toot my horn too much; but I fucking rock and would be 100 thou richer if picked. I did get a chance to meet those who they did choose and they are some pretty stand up people, except one, but I really feel that if the show was a little more geared for performance I would have stood in place of a couple of those that I know didn't match my abilities.</div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYdwe3ArFWA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYdwe3ArFWA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Guess the secrets out. What can I say?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAWMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the highest level of counter-terrorist operations, <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> we <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> were tested </div></div>

HIGHLY DOUBTFULL..... Hell, id give you a shiny nickel if you could just name the organization that is at the "highest level of counter-terrorist operations" No one else... just sawman..
Of course I dont expect you to answer that and embarass yourself... point is, You were fluffing that up pretty good.. Not sure for who though, alot of us pretty well have our ear to the ground on that kinda buisness and its just dangerously close to poserville.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAWMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the highest level of counter-terrorist operations, <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> we <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> were tested </div></div>

HIGHLY DOUBTFULL..... Hell, id give you a shiny nickel if you could just name the organization that is at the "highest level of counter-terrorist operations" No one else... just sawman..
Of course I dont expect you to answer that and embarass yourself... point is, You were fluffing that up pretty good.. Not sure for who though, alot of us pretty well have our ear to the ground on that kinda buisness and its just dangerously close to poserville. </div></div>

Wow man, really? It's not like I didn't post my website with all the proof any legit operator would need to see. Check my background and stop embarrassing yourself for trying to call out a guy who's actually been there and operated at the highest level. Ask around if you're still that skeptical, but meanwhile have a little tact. When I screw up, I'm big enough to apologize. Are you? I'll take your open, public apology when you're man enough to realize you've unnecessarily insulted me with zero reason, I'll be waiting.

You can take this as a part apology...sorry.. I do see that i may owe you a shiny nickle, you probably DO know the name of the "highest level of counter-terrorist operations". Having said that, You were not it. You should have said you were with "ONE of the highest levels... ect." I would put DEV at a close 2nd though. Not taking anything away from you though... very impressive...

AND ANOTHER THING... j/k Oh hey by the way.. its about 9:45pm here in the box and i started drinking a bit ago.. Merry Christmas.. anyways, sorry if I came of as an asshole.. I seem to do that easily..and often for that matter and thats why your doing the PR work and im pounding sand... good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AND ANOTHER THING... j/k Oh hey by the way.. its about 9:45pm here in the box and i started drinking a bit ago.. Merry Christmas.. anyways, sorry if I came of as an asshole.. I seem to do that easily..and often for that matter and thats why your doing the PR work and im pounding sand... good luck </div></div>

Well, if that's a "part" apology, then I'll "partly" accept it and move on. Glad you're able to enjoy a drink and relax. By the way, the entertainment biz is a side job so far. I still work down range. And as for DEVGRU being second, I guess everybody knows mall cops are clearly at the top, with the rest of us jockeying for second. I tried out for mall cop once but failed the selection...

Best,

~SAW

Thank you for your service Mr. Sawyer. Nice to meet you.

Welcome to the Hide, Craig. You'll find this place very helpful to round out your expert status. We have many experts here in all things snipery and, fortunate for you, you have already met some in this thread. Keep reading and learn, learn, learn.
laugh.gif

By the way, use the search function for the super secret tacticool stuff
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAWMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I tried out for mall cop once but failed the selection...
~SAW </div></div>

no faulting you for that... im sure you found out, it takes most guys more than one try at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAWMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AND ANOTHER THING... j/k Oh hey by the way.. its about 9:45pm here in the box and i started drinking a bit ago.. Merry Christmas.. anyways, sorry if I came of as an asshole.. I seem to do that easily..and often for that matter and thats why your doing the PR work and im pounding sand... good luck </div></div>

Well, if that's a "part" apology, then I'll "partly" accept it and move on. Glad you're able to enjoy a drink and relax. By the way, the entertainment biz is a side job so far. I still work down range. And as for DEVGRU being second, I guess everybody knows mall cops are clearly at the top, with the rest of us jockeying for second. I tried out for mall cop once but failed the selection...

Best,

~SAW </div></div>

Craig, I DO hope you stick around and ignore some of the 'kids' on this place. I suspect you have a LOT of interesting stuff to say.

Cheers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear the next episode is going to feature an "Internet Commando" competition in which the competitors will be required to show their skills at: regurgitating firarms related information discovered through their expeditious Google-based research; buying and selling expensive gear without the foggiest idea as to its practical application (except, of course, what they discovered through the web); and most importantly, repeatedly posting unflinching support of new and novel equipment and gunsmiths based solely upon the say-so of OTHER cyber-experts. There will be bonus points awarded for the most insulting post made to thwart the efforts of new shooters and inexperienced web-users who dare make a mistake or ask a stupid question.

Now aren't some of you guys sorry you underestimated your chances of success and didn't apply?
smile.gif
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">ROTFLMFAO ! !</span>

And here I thought that this thread is/was about the TV show called "Top Shot".

We had the opportunity to watch the latest episode last night, and I just wanted to chime in here and say that we fully expected to see a "Bayonet Charge on the ammo dump" the way things were going there at the beginning.
wink.gif

Talk about "getting caught up in the moment" eh? Understandable that he was the one to go home in the end, but we were hoping/yelling for the "golf-pro/one-man-team/super-leader/personal-coach-and-counselor" to be the one to fail the elimination challenge, instead.

I just watched the first three episodes of season 2 on demand and set the DVR to record episode 4. I heard the scuttle about last season and did not watch any of that so I have no frame of reference for season 1. Season 2 looks pretty good and I see a lot of good shooters helping to cast a positive light on the shooting sports. I say send in your audition video and get to showing millions how its done if you think this bunch is just pulling their puds.
Welcome to SH Mr. Sawyer, hope you stick around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Craig, I DO hope you stick around and ignore some of the 'kids' on this place. I suspect you have a LOT of interesting stuff to say.

Cheers!

</div></div>

Excuse me... the men are talking here... go sit in the corner and wait your turn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Cheers!

</div></div>

Excuse me... the men are talking here... go sit in the corner and wait your turn</div></div>

well at least you waited close to 3 months to reply to ensure you got the whizz bang down perfectly!