• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Torn Between What Scope to Choose

Jayt54

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2018
Hey,

This is my first post but I've spent far too many hours reading up on here about what route I want to go with my scope purchase. Hoping some of you guys can offer up some opinions and help sway me so I can stop flip flopping.

Background: I am fairly new to long range shooting, have recently had experience shooting a R700 out to 600 yards with a PST Gen 2. I like a more tactically oriented scope, and plan to shoot paper and steel at known and unknown distances, as well as some hunting. Don't foresee myself going past 800 yards.

This will be mounted on a Larue 7.62 AR. Want to try to keep the rifle on the lighter side and still keep it practical for tactical applications. I would like to stick to FFP mil/mil

My main 2 contenders I've narrowed down to are:

US Optics B-10 1.8-10 GAP Reticle
Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 TMR Reticle

I qualify for the .Mil pricing on both, and the Mark 5 can be had for about 250 dollars less.

Concerns:
Lack of illumination on Mark 5 (how important is this)

Too much magnification for my needs with the Mark 5 (It's still a little smaller and lighter than the B-10 so maybe a nonissue)

Durability and tracking of both vs something like a nightforce

Like the idea of a 1.8x on the low end if it doesn't tunnel and is useable

Other Scopes Considered along the way:
Illuminated Mark 5 (for the price I may as well go with something like the ATACR)

Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 ( Pricing not far off for perceived gain of the 2 listed above)

Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 F1 (price is a good deal more, if it's leaps and bounds better I'd consider dropping the coin, but I don't see enough gain to justify the increase)

Any input is greatly appreciated, and other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for all the help guys!

Have you considered a 3-18 Razor. I run one on my Seekins 6.5 Creed gasser and really like it.

I did, but price wise the razor is a good deal more for me than the USO and Leupold. Almost on par with the ATACR.

I’ve never thought to myself “damn, I have too much magnification” but I did own a 3-10 and found myself wanting more than 10x so I sold it.

If you get the pricing, I would try the Leupy 5. It has excellent reviews so far. A NightForce atacr would be neck and neck as for my other choice.

I have the SHV and the eye box is a lot tighter than my ATACR. Great scope for its intended purpose but doesn’t hold a candle to the ATACR IMHO

I think the ATACR 4-16 would be hard to beat for the intended purpose. And the Gen 2 3-18 for a little bit extra on both ends but is heavier

I'd pick a reticle on any of the $2kish optics you mentioned and go from there. They're all so comparable but reticle choice can be a big factor between them, probably more so than the slight extra mag range or vice versa

Reactions: h3dgehawk
I'd go with at least 25X on the top end. Granted you might not think you need it now but it's nice to have when you do.

I honestly agree. Every scope I own except for the mark 6 3-18 goes to at least 25x on the top end. Having said that, the most I generally ever use is 15 for data shoots and 9 for tactical shooting, even out to 1000 yards. You just have so much more fov.

I honestly agree. Every scope I own except for the mark 6 3-18 goes to at least 25x on the top end. Having said that, the most I generally ever use is 15 for data shoots and 9 for tactical shooting, even out to 1000 yards. You just have so much more fov.
I don’t mean to hijack OP’s thread, but how do you like your Mark 6? I was considering purchasing one. I found the 3-18 M5B2 model (Horus reticle, non-illuminated) for $1200 but I was leaning towards passing on it. Cons I’ve heard it has are the B2 turrets (they don’t truly “lock”, but move about .05Mil up or down - not sure if you have B2 or C2, I heard C2 better), and that it’s had some tracking issues (according to sniper central and precision rifle blog (first scope he tested)). Thanks! Hope this is okay to ask here - only my second post on the Hide.

Reactions: Rebel Rooster
Thanks for all the responses guys. I agree with a few of you that said the mark 5 has got some good reviews, and am considering getting it in the 5-25x since I really don't lose much on the bottom end for the top end gain like some of you said. With that being said. What's your take on illum. I'd like to keep all my options open and don't want to regret not getting illum. But it's a big upcharge to get it if it's something I really don't need. Thanks again

Thanks for all the responses guys. I agree with a few of you that said the mark 5 has got some good reviews, and am considering getting it in the 5-25x since I really don't lose much on the bottom end for the top end gain like some of you said. With that being said. What's your take on illum. I'd like to keep all my options open and don't want to regret not getting illum. But it's a big upcharge to get it if it's something I really don't need. Thanks again

I wouldn't do it on the mark 5. For some reason, Leupold thinks it needs a 300 dollar upcharge, and I don't get that. I don't really use it on any of my scopes personally, but if you are using the scope in low light, etc. it could be beneficial. I'll let others that actually use it pipe in on that.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...t-leupold-mark-5.6869995/page-11#post-6948253

This thread is full of Mark 5 impressions. Here's a rather lengthy review i wrote on the 5-25. It's a quality scope for sure. If you look around it can be had for sub $2000 pretty easily.

ATACR 4-16 will be by far the best.
The SHV f1 will probably be the best value.
If you're really concerned about having some sort of close up capability then add an offset reddot to it.

One thing to keep in mind, is how usable is the reticle at the minimum power setting? I don't know how old you are, but IME the older I get the more trouble I have seeing those tiny rets at 3x in the FFP scopes, especially w/o illum. Just something to think about.

Have to agree with the above about 25x. I have shot for years with a max 17 power and never really wanted more. Few months ago I treated myself to a 5-25 and have been lovin it

Out of the two scopes you mentioned only the USO would i trust as being repeatable and dependable.

The Mark 5 may turn out to be a repeatable, dependable scope but we just don't know yet. While the Mark 5 3.5-18x44 has caught my interest for a gas gun and mid range hunting scope, it is only in a TReMor3 reticle therefore I wouldn't be relying on dialing repeatability.

Back to the USO of your choice, i dont think it has the upper power you would be happy with. I would be looking at the B17 for you LaRue.

As mentioned, the NF 4-16x42 is a outstanding scope. Rugged, reliable and repeatable. Excellent turret feel. Great glass. The 4-16x42 is my favorite hunting scope and all around rifle scope. It would fit your needs if you feel you going to be happy with 16x.

If thinking about 25x, you can't go wrong with a ATACR or the B25 is wanting a USO.

I’m in a similar situation, looking for a scope to go on a 16” 308 bolt gun. The issue I see with the 5-25 class of scopes is field of view given same mag setting/objective size which is why I lean towards lower mag. Currently leaning heavily towards the Mark 5 3.6-18 H59 since I already use that reticle. Definitely interested in opinions on illumination as well, not having it in this H59 is my only hesitation.

I’m in a similar situation, looking for a scope to go on a 16” 308 bolt gun. The issue I see with the 5-25 class of scopes is field of view given same mag setting/objective size which is why I lean towards lower mag. Currently leaning heavily towards the Mark 5 3.6-18 H59 since I already use that reticle. Definitely interested in opinions on illumination as well, not having it in this H59 is my only hesitation.

I don't see how you could go wrong with the H59 as I'm about to pull trigger on the Mark 5 in a TReMoR3

I know people who won't have a scope without illumination but i have never used or needed it. Battery in my S&B been dead for 8 years.

From a game animal hunting situation, I don't use illumination. If its so late I cant see my reticle, It's probably too late for me to be taking a legal shot.

Well, I'm probably biased, but I put a B10 on almost the exact same set up you have ( a LaRue 6.5 CM). I find the optics very good, I really like the reticle, and they are built like a tank.

For me 90% of my shooting is 25-400 yards, so I find 10X enough on the upper end and appreciate 1.8x on the lower end when I'm shooting offhand at distances of 100 yards and under. It's just faster. Even when shooting at longer distances I try to mix it up, rather than just shooting from a bench - i.e. prone, sitting, etc. Again, I find that much over 10-12x is actually a negative for this kind of shooting.

However, if all of your shooting is off a bench or prone with a bipod, you want to shoot small groups on paper at 400 or you think you'll be doing a lot of shooting out beyond 4-500 yards, you're probably going to want more than 10x. Like most things in life, it's a trade off.

I haven't used a Mark 5 or a USO, so unfortunately can't contribute much about your first choices. But I do have a NF ATACR F1 4-16x42, and I can assure you that you'll never regret stretching it a little bit and upgrading up front. It'll be worth every damned dime if you ask me. The ATACR iis nice and compact, with a useable practical magnification range, good glass, and awesome turrets. And it'll hold up to any abuse you put it through, for a lifetime.

I am limited to 600 yards where I live right now. Zero issues making hits and spotting misses on 1/2 moa steel plates at 600 with the 16x magnification.

Reactions: stwcattle
Hey,

This is my first post but I've spent far too many hours reading up on here about what route I want to go with my scope purchase. Hoping some of you guys can offer up some opinions and help sway me so I can stop flip flopping.

Background: I am fairly new to long range shooting, have recently had experience shooting a R700 out to 600 yards with a PST Gen 2. I like a more tactically oriented scope, and plan to shoot paper and steel at known and unknown distances, as well as some hunting. Don't foresee myself going past 800 yards.

This will be mounted on a Larue 7.62 AR. Want to try to keep the rifle on the lighter side and still keep it practical for tactical applications. I would like to stick to FFP mil/mil

My main 2 contenders I've narrowed down to are:

US Optics B-10 1.8-10 GAP Reticle
Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 TMR Reticle

I qualify for the .Mil pricing on both, and the Mark 5 can be had for about 250 dollars less.

Concerns:
Lack of illumination on Mark 5 (how important is this)

Too much magnification for my needs with the Mark 5 (It's still a little smaller and lighter than the B-10 so maybe a nonissue)

Durability and tracking of both vs something like a nightforce

Like the idea of a 1.8x on the low end if it doesn't tunnel and is useable

Other Scopes Considered along the way:
Illuminated Mark 5 (for the price I may as well go with something like the ATACR)

Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 ( Pricing not far off for perceived gain of the 2 listed above)

Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 F1 (price is a good deal more, if it's leaps and bounds better I'd consider dropping the coin, but I don't see enough gain to justify the increase)

Any input is greatly appreciated, and other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for all the help guys!

For what your saying, shooting steel or paper at unknown distances, take a look at the MSR reticle

https://finnaccuracy.com/pages/msr-reticle-development-and-features

This next link is all the basically all the tactical reticles and which are the most popular. This is a great read. Scroll down to steiner and the msr reticle. It is used by most of the top 50 prs competitors

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/07/31/tactical-scopes-reticles/

It is an amazing reticle for ranging unknown distances. It only comes in certain brands tho. SB, Steiner, Khales I think.

But if you have the money, get something with German glass, or even Japanese glass. At higher magnifications the image will deteriorate (with crap glass) and it will be hard to see higher magnifications at long distances.

And if your going “long range”. You will definitely want something with power at the higher range. 25x.

The next comment I may get flack for. I prefer German glass even tho it carries a heavy price. USO, nightforce, etc... are very, very nice. One of my scopes is a USO lr17, glass simply does not compare to my German Glass scopes. But if you ever get to look through a Steiner or a Schmidt or Hensoldt's you will understand what mean. It’s the difference of watching Tv in 1080 or 4K

Steiner military 5-25 with MSR reticle can be seen used around 1800-2000. Do not hesitate to buy a used scope from a reputable seller

The last thing I want to say, much to my surprise when I was looking, the amount of scopes considered really good have minor tracking issues. To me this is unacceptable for scopes costing thousands. There is a guy on YouTube that reviews the tracking on many of the popular scopes and test them. Check out his videos. It may not matter to much at 100 yards, but at 1000 it does

If you want to go for the sickest scope on the planet and money is no object, Tangent Theta kills them all

I am a scope snob, I think i am more into scopes than I am guns. What I do for a living is very much dependent on high end optical glass. So I am very opinionated

Last edited:
Maybe I missed this already being mentioned above concerning illumination; if you've got a ffp optic and you need to use any magnification below 6 power, on some reticles the cross hairs get super super fine, and at 3x the center cross hair can be almost indistinguishable. Because of that reason alone, illumination can be very handy to have although simply coming up in power will make that cross hair easily visible again. Just something to think about. For anything ffp with a floating dot I would think it would be even more important to have illumination.

Reactions: Crews
if you are looking for a upper teens $ scope, check for a used NF NSX.
you can find one for 1500$ or new for 1800+/-
lifetime warranty
5.5-22
glass is really good, used to be considered great
more than enough for 308 at 1000...that what i still have on one of my 308's

Maybe I missed this already being mentioned above concerning illumination; if you've got a ffp optic and you need to use any magnification below 6 power, on some reticles the cross hairs get super super fine, and at 3x the center cross hair can be almost indistinguishable. Because of that reason alone, illumination can be very handy to have although simply coming up in power will make that cross hair easily visible again. Just something to think about. For anything ffp with a floating dot I would think it would be even more important to have illumination.

Agreed 100% on illumination. For a bright day out on the square range shooting targets, you'd think it's wasted money. The minute you take a FFP scope out hunting, it's an absolute necessity.

Reactions: demolitionman
Agreed 100% on illumination. For a bright day out on the square range shooting targets, you'd think it's wasted money. The minute you take a FFP scope out hunting, it's an absolute necessity.

I found that the illumination helps me even on bright days shooting some targets with my .22, especially if the center dot on the target is black and is larger than the floating dot on the reticle. With the illuminated floating dot, I can make sure it is right in the center of the black target dot. Without illumination the floating dot gets lost on the black target dot.

The ATACR 4-16 is worth it, especially on a gas gun. Its size really makes a difference compared to other 14"+ optics.