• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Torque Driver

bear58

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
Southern AZ
Can anyone recommend a good adjustable torque driver for action, base and ring screws?

Re: Torque Driver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Night Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Borka!!!

Hands down the best I have used.</div></div>

Amen to this. Here's proof:

22_mounted.jpg

Do a search for "Borka". You will read that it will be a great addition to your tool and/or range kit. Though not "adjustable", the design has the capacity to meet all torque requirements for your use. It's available as a stand-alone torque wrench, or as a complete kit with all bits, sockets, etc.

. . . and Boris is a 'Hide vendor!

Kevin

The Borka is not infinitely adjustable, but it has plenty of pre-defined settings common to rifles and scopes. Unlike other adjustables, it has one preset spring load and relies on the length of the lever arm to apply the proper torque. In that respect it is much like a fixed-weight wrench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use CDI torque driver and wrench.

http://www.cditorque.com
</div></div>
I use the same ~ first class quality tool.

Been using this one for a few years. Works great and is adjustable through a very wide range. I expect it'll be the last one that I'll have to buy.

Brownell's

Which model of CDI do you all use? 401SM get you thru everything on a rifle (rings, bases and action screws) or do you have multiple drivers? Any idea on cost. I can't find a price on that website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bear58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which model of CDI do you all use? 401SM get you thru everything on a rifle (rings, bases and action screws) or do you have multiple drivers? Any idea on cost. I can't find a price on that website. </div></div>
I use the 401SM (5-40 in.lb) for scope ring caps, base, and light action screws (e.g. ruger 10/22). I use the 1501MRP (1/4" drive, 20-150 in.lb) for scope ring clamp screws and higher torque action screws (e.g. AICS = 53 in.lb, HS-Precision = 65 in.lb). Can't remember the exact cost, but I think they are around $115 - $150 street price.

I haven't had any problem's the Wheeler fat one so far,lot's of usage ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Portability,borka
Home bench,snap on " driver off ebay. </div></div>

I use the same approach. Borka is great in the field.

F.A.T wrench has worked great for me, but only comes with limited bit sizes. I had to invest in another bit set to be versatile with different screws heads.

Borka's ATD, it will take care of you and come 'checked'/calibrated. peace of mind right there, and Boris has excellent CS.

I didn't realize there were so many great products out there. Thanks for sharing your reviews of them. Even though they all seem to have good virtues, I'm leaning towards the Borka full set (MG9) based on a combination of price, quality and range of inch/lbs in one unit. Anyone heard of a group buy in the works? Thanks again for all your inputs.

Borka MG5 gets two thumbs up here. The setup and the pouch it comes in is perfect for the house and the backpack.

If I had plenty of spare money I might have a few preset T-handle Seekonk wrenches for the house, but I don't and the Borka works great. I use it all the time.

I bet they are nice but that's around $500 for what you'd need. The guns we use aren't cheap either, I know but that is a lot of $ for two wrenches.

Never thought I needed one til I had to adjust an action screw last night and I want to make sure it's perfect on replacement although I wonder how much stuff like that affects accuracy, better safe than sorry though, I'll give that Borka a try

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sigma2chi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Never thought I needed one til I had to adjust an action screw last night</span> and I want to make sure it's perfect on replacement <span style="font-weight: bold">although</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">I wonder how much stuff like that affects accuracy</span>, better safe than sorry though, I'll give that Borka a try </div></div>Really?..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet they are nice but that's around $500 for what you'd need. The guns we use aren't cheap either, I know but that is a lot of $ for two wrenches. </div></div>The ones I own aren't just for firearms..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet they are nice but that's around $500 for what you'd need. The guns we use aren't cheap either, I know but that is a lot of $ for two wrenches. </div></div>The ones I own aren't just for firearms.......... </div></div>Well then I understand that.

Anyone thinking about the Borka tools check this out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kortik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen,

Thank you for your kind words about my torque driver. Shot Show closed yesterday, I'm still in Las Vegas, but should be back home shortly... Show was fun, picked up 4 more dealers, all good brands, to sell my products in the U.S. Not looking for any more U.S. dealers.

Anyway, I do not believe I know everything, but with my 30 years in practical engineering, Ph.D. in mechanical engineering and being a licensed PE in State of Michigan, which is, seriously, a big deal as far as I'm concerned, I thought I would give my reply to this "calibration" issue.

In short, most people do not realize where this calibration thingie comes from. In 99% of the cases, it comes from the need of CORPORATION to pass QS audits. To pass it, company must show re-freshed and annualy (or every 2 years) updated caliberation stickers attached to the something used for production or QC of company products. Whatever needs to have such sticker to pass audit may be perfectly fine, but company MUST still have it refreshed to be in compliance with formal requirements. Let's call it PAPER WORK part of th business.

In reality, if you're an individual user, you need this sort of frequent calibration as much as you need your balls painted in red to look attractive to the opposite sex. Say, you got
calibration certificate with your tools, which is fine in theory, but I wonder how much use you'll have for it in real life. Will it be actually used for the physical tightening of the fasteners? Is this piece of paper all you need to be completely happy?

Professional engineers know very well or at least may have an educated guess based on prior research, how the compression spring under specific constant load will behave, how much relaxation of the sprng will occur in certain number of years and how it may change force (or torque) values. No magic here, it's what prefessional engineers do for living. My torque drivers do not need annual "calibration", because it designed by me, the professional engineer, who is also, as I was told, qualifies as a gun nut, who knows a bit about this stuff, and if I say it is good for 50,000 cyclesor 25 years, whichever comes first, I'm putting my PE license and all my credentials as an enginner on line.... I do not sell my tools as sales guy, I sell my tools as an engineer who also managers sales.

If design is good -,= you do not need to worry about calibration, because it is simply not applicable in this case. If Seekonk, say, suggests calibration after every 5,000 cycles, or once a year, it has very little to do with real world situtation, unless Seekonk makes a super crapy product, which, I beieve, is not a case. It's just a way to make extra money for company by providing "extra services".

Borka Tools torque driver DOES NOT need to be recalibrated for at least 25 years or 50,000 cycles, which ever comes first. After one of this factors takes place, you can expect up to 5% drop in output torque, which is still not a big deal, as far as I'm concerned, but f you're concerned, I'll do spring replacement and re=calibration for you for $25 + shipping.

Boris
</div></div>

The 50,000 cycles without the need of calibration is crazy, that AND the fact that Boris would tell us that. Not many companies would make that public knowledge and that makes it easier to support and promote someone who would post that information. Honest, makes a good product, stands behind it with good CS and is a member here, not to mention the price compared to others. Hard to beat all that.

I use a mountz torque driver, nice unit but kind of spendy. Mine is a 10 to 50 inch-lb, they have a 30-80 in-lb driver also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aagifford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a mountz torque driver, nice unit but kind of spendy. Mine is a 10 to 50 inch-lb, they have a 30-80 in-lb driver also. </div></div>

I work with Mountz, they supply accessories for my torque kits.
Mountz and Borka will likely be doing more business in the future. The reason is simple - they are top notch torque tools professionals, management is gun friendly and their products are first class. Highly recommended.

I keep a Proto 1/4" torque wrench and Proto torque screw driver in the shop, Borka kit in the gear bag. All in all, the Borka could take the place of the 2 Proto units as far a rifle work goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone tried this torque wrench??

Fat wrench </div></div>

Yes, I use that one. Like someone else said, the bits that it comes with are limited but suffice for 80% of the scope, base and action installs I've encountered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WadeP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone tried this torque wrench??

Fat wrench </div></div>

Yes, I use that one. Like someone else said, the bits that it comes with are limited but suffice for 80% of the scope, base and action installs I've encountered.
</div></div>

Thanks for the info Wade. I have loads of bits and sockets at home, but not a torque driver that is in the in/lb range. I will be mounting a scope shortly and want to have the right tools to do it correctly without breaking the bank..limited budget is the word!