• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Torque wrench

razorback308

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Bossier City, LA
Ok, I'm trying to cheap out and am condisering buying a automotive style 1/4" torque wrench from Harbor Freight for 19.99. Torque settings are from 20-200 inch pounds. Is this a good idea or is it just plain stupid? Need input.

Re: Torque wrench

Whoaaaa! Stop! NO tools from Harbor Freight to work on guns!

Just my thoughts???

PM FASTFORD he had some extras!

^^^^
+1 RE: CACTUS' comments on HF

If you are after a torque wrench or any other precision tool, forget HF. Besides that, the torque wrench you mention is not "calibrated" (haha) below 20 LB/". Most scope ring cap fasteners require ~15 LB/".

For a gunsmithing torque wrench, get a Borka, which is available here on the Hide. Do a search for the "rave reviews". If I didn't already have a dial Snap-On, Borka would be the one - will probably get one anyway.

Kevin

Although we all love HF, those tools are for putting in a patio, moving the fridge, etc...

IF you spent more than $100 bucks on the rifle, get a real tool set - or, if you have just one rifle - go to a gunsmith and get it all done for less than the cost of the tools.

Yeah pass that deal up and find you a good used snap-on on ebay if you want a regular automotive ratcheting style torque wrench

Thanks for all of your input. I dont know what I was thinking. I decided on the Borka Adjustable Torque Screwdriver model ATD-10x80-CRS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razorback308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I'm trying to cheap out and am condisering buying a automotive style 1/4" torque wrench from Harbor Freight for 19.99. Torque settings are from 20-200 inch pounds. Is this a good idea or is it just plain stupid? Need input. </div></div>

Actually, its a great idea, if you want a 1/2moa gun to shoot like crap. Spend some money and get a fat wrench at least. These are 70 dollars and work wonderfully

+1 for the F.A.T Wrench. Have had one for a few years and always keep it in my shooting bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah pass that deal up and find you a good used snap-on on ebay if you want a regular automotive ratcheting style torque wrench </div></div>

This just get it calibrated before you use it alot.

I'd say go borka if you can scrape the cash together, replaced my FAT with one and am happy I did