• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Torque Wrenches. Where to buy?

Ariel

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2008
PA
Folks,
Imp looking for a good all around (compact) Torque wrench that will tackle mounting optic rings to bolts and crews to the correct torque specs. Can you point me into the right direction and where to buy? Thanks in advance.

Re: Torque Wrenches. Where to buy?

i got mine off EGAY for like 20 bucks and it works just as well as the FAT wrench

I got my in-lbs and 3/8" ft-lbs from Sears on sale. Craftsman.

I bought my cheapie 1/2" ft-lbs for tires and such from Harbor Freight.

Oh, and you want in-lbs for your mounting needs.

I got mine off the Snap-On truck years ago, still works great!

Bob

What is the proper torque for rings. I have a craftsman IN/lbs

OH No! I think I have over torqued the scope tube then. Should I loosen it or leave alone. Been on two years. 15 in/lbs is nothing

I guess I should use that craftsman

Thanks

as long as you have not tried to mount a 30mm in 1" rings...

when you say "too much" is that 20-25 in/lb or did you get your cheater bar out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovetsx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OH No! I think I have over torqued the scope tube then. Should I loosen it or leave alone. Been on two years. 15 in/lbs is nothing

I guess I should use that craftsman

Thanks </div></div>

I'd say if it's working properly and it hasnt shifted at all... DON'T touch it
wink.gif

I had also just put a holographic sight on a shotgun. I used the Allen wrench that came with it. I guess I'll get the torque wrench out and see how much hand tight really is.

Thanks guy.

Using an L shaped allen/torx wrench you can apply a lot of torque using the long end of the wrench as your handle. Use the short end of the L and you will be fine.

I think I saw where IOR is now stating 12 inch pounds of torque. Was surprised to see in my NightForce manual that they stipulate 15ip.

Back when I first bought my Craftsman adjustable IP Torque wrench, and Leupold Mark 4 or LR/T scopes were the only mil-dot scopes available, I used 25ip on the 3.5-10x m3 and 4.5-14 scopes I had. Six or seven years of use and mounting, they never showed any marks on the tube and still looked like-new.

If you want any decent holding power at 12-15ip you might think about lining your rings or scope tube with some kind of tape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoBlaze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks,
Imp looking for a good all around (compact) Torque wrench that will tackle mounting optic rings to bolts and crews to the correct torque specs. Can you point me into the right direction and where to buy? Thanks in advance.
</div></div>
I like my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">SK 73008</span></span>. The SK 73008 has a torque-setting range of 16-88 in/lbs. so you can torque everything from mounts and rings to actions.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Heavy-duty body is anodized and built for industrial applications:</span>
SKMicrometerTorqueScrewdriveraccess.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">The driver accepts 1/4" drive bits:</span>
SKMicrometerTorqueScrewdriverHexSoc.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">The torque setting is adjusted by turning a hex in the end of the handle with the supplied allen wrench:</span>
SKMicrometerTorqueScrewdriverTorque.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">
The dial is marked in 4-pound increments, so if you want something in-between you have to eyeball it:</span>
SKDialCloseup.jpg

Keith

Harbor freight sells a quarter-inch drive inch-pound torque wrench also. I bought one for $13 some years ago. I also have their three-eighth and half-inch drive, these wrenches are knock offs of the ones built by Proto (professional tool), which cost me $250 in 1971. I took mine to the calibration shop and place them on the dead weight tester and they all read dead on for all the calibration points. Went back and bought 3 of the quarter inch drive and place one in each of my target rifle boxes. These "clickable" torque wrenches rarely needs readjustment and stay accurate for a very long time. I used to sent them in every 3 years, even then they are just put on the dead weight tester to verify the readings and no work done on them.

The harbor freight have sale once a while and you can get on their flyer list. The model is the click type and if you buy one make sure you read the calibration mark correctly. Follow the side marking line then up to the numbers to read the major readings, the small hash marks on the rotatable handle are then added to the previous major calibration to get the setting desired. It will click when that torque is reached, you will feel a sudden "slip" for the lighter settings instead of the "click" expected.

Thanks Guys. All I needed!

You can buy the newest Snap-On ones for about $170.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Snap-on-T...d=p4506.c0.m245

or

Harbor Freight is now $20-
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2696

They all do the same work, AFTER you verified their accuracy with a dead weight tester.

I think Proto went out of business, or may be sold to Stanney Tools.
This is their web site describing their torque wrench.
http://www.stanleyproto.com/default.asp?...rSitename=PROTO

And, by the way, I do use my $13- torque wrench on rifles costing more than $3000-
smile.gif

I bought a CDI Inch-lbs torque wrench from amazon for around $130. CDI used to make Snap-On torque wrenches until they were bought by Snap-On. I bought one like this because I needed one that would work well on cars as well.

my bad Kevin. I forgot to read top to bottom.....left to right.

Good to know though, since I have one NIB ....wondering if I should keep or sell.

Forget all that asian crap. Start looking in the pawn shops for a good US made Snap-On, cheep and accurate. Get a 1/4 drive inch pound wrench.

Scott

Badger Torque Wrech KIT.

Accessories_Badger_Torque_Wrench_Kit.jpg

This Kit includes:

1EA. Mil-Spec Preset 65 IN-LBS T-handle torque wrench
1 EA. Socket 1/2” HEX
1 EA. BIT, 5/32” HEX
1 EA. BIT, 3/16” HEX
1 EA. BIT, #30 TORX
1 EA. HOLDER, BIT
1 EA. T-15 L-WRENCH
P/N 306-40

thats a killer kit!!!

Sears, I think I paid $85 for a craftsman that adjust from 25 to 85 inch pounds on the scale but the dial ring is graduated so you can still back it down to 15 inch pounds for rings.

I have the FAT wrench, it works just fine for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Badger Torque Wrech KIT.

Accessories_Badger_Torque_Wrench_Kit.jpg

This Kit includes:

1EA. Mil-Spec Preset 65 IN-LBS T-handle torque wrench
1 EA. Socket 1/2” HEX
1 EA. BIT, 5/32” HEX
1 EA. BIT, 3/16” HEX
1 EA. BIT, #30 TORX
1 EA. HOLDER, BIT
1 EA. T-15 L-WRENCH
P/N 306-40 </div></div>

Ahh Yes...I think I found my next purchase. Thk Triad!

The brownells, although made in america and high quality only goes from 6 to 36 and the blue handled one had been checked for tolerances and was way out, sometimes 10-15 " lbs. Too bad. Brownells are made in america and have great warranties. I have a screwdriver kit on order from Brownells but will search for another torque screwdriver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wheeler Fat Wrench? Any one tried their tq wrench

$50 </div></div>

I have the Fat Wrench and it works just fine. I tried to find a wrench made in USA but gave up and bought the Wheeler.

The Seekonk MCX seems to work quite well. 3-30 in-lbs in 1/2 in-lb increments. This is definately a buy once cry once type buy.

Pat

I ordered this from LO. I had a fat wrench and somehow I misplaced it...the Borka looks like a solid set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kortik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This offer for MG3-SRA kit (multi torque driver and accessories) to SH members expires on June 1st.

MG3-SRA
</div></div>

I just picked up one of the borka torque wrenches. It seems to work really well. I order it on Friday and had it today (monday).

+1 on the Borka - "the Multi Preset" shown on Brownells. All the reviews I read prior to purchasing indicated good precision.

And, yes, 12-15 in-lbs isn't very tight. If you're guessing, you are probably guessing high, which has never caused a problem for me, other than that one scope that flexed until the crosshairs were no longer perpendicular, but I backed that one off and it's fine now!

A Borka goes with me to the range. I order Seekonks directed from the factory for the workbench.

UPDATE

Got mine today... Woo Hoo..
IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215-2.jpg

Remember, I'm sure most know this, but remember to always back off to the lowest increment (mine is 5) not all the way... This takes tension off the spring and will give you a consistent true reading for a long time. Leave the spring compressed, then the accuracy of the tool is no longer in spec. Just in case someone didn't know... This goes for all torque devices...

Just bought the SK 73008. It is discontinued, like all good things these days it seems. I'll pair the SK, which fits 1/4" bits with the Brownell's Magna Tip Professional Super Set...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=51840/pid=26376/Product/Professional_Super_Set#

Which has a lifetime warranty and seems to be capable of withstanding the torque put on by this wrench. The Super Sets are on backorder, however.

Driver,

Where did you find the SK? if you dont mind me asking, how much did you find it for? I did some searching and found 2 online for around 250.00... I would just like to have a driver that goes to 80 in. lbs.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE

Got mine today... Woo Hoo..
IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215-2.jpg

Remember, I'm sure most know this, but remember to always back off to the lowest increment (mine is 5) not all the way... This takes tension off the spring and will give you a consistent true reading for a long time. Leave the spring compressed, then the accuracy of the tool is no longer in spec. Just in case someone didn't know... This goes for all torque devices...
</div></div>

I didn't, but I do now! Going to back off my FAT Wrench as soon as I get home.

Thanks for that.

Neil

You're very welcome Neil...

Thats a little trick I picked up a few years ago on the Snap On truck, after chasing one down to warranty a ratchet... As I waited, I listened to a Mechanic complain that his torque wrench had to be re-calibrated for the third time in like 18 months... Myself knowing that Snap On sends a certificate of accuracy to a fractional percent of the tool, I knew something sounded odd, sure enough the driver asked the guy if he ALWAYS backed his wrenches down to the lowest setting and not all the way. The guy said no... The driver smiled and said, well there is your reason... I bet that mechanic has that exact same wrench if he listened!

Glad I could help Neil...

Everyone that hasn't, really needs to check out the Borka. No backing down to remember and it should cover all your gun needs. Super easy to use too.

MG3+MG3-SRA.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kortik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Update as of May 18th, 2011

This offering will be closed on June 1st. If you're interested to acquire Borka Tools multi torque driver kits after June 1st, please visit Borka Tools website (www.borkatools.com) to purchase these kits on-line. My website also contains a list of authorised dealers in the U.S.A., Canada, U.K. and Australia. Some of these dealers are well known and respected Sniper's Hide vendors, including:

Rifles Only
Triad Tactical
8541 Tactical
Liberty Optics
JW Precision
Mile High Shooting Accessories

If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns, feel free to contact me directly.

I'm extremely grateful for the support and active feedback received from
SH members, and would like to acknowledge a very important role of Sniper's
Hide and Frank Galli in helping me to fire up my business in relatively short
period of time.

Borka Tools will be introducing more products in the near future, and I hope
to be able to present them to SH members first in order to gain your valuable
feedback, which is naturally one of the the best ways to find the truth...

Boris
_____________________________________________________________________________</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Borka Tools Sniper Rifle Field Kit.</span>

New Borka Tools offering is code named <span style="font-weight: bold">MG3-SRA</span>. <span style="font-weight: bold">MG3</span> means ATD-15x72-12FS-MG (Military Grade) torque
driver in T.A.B. GEAR pouch, <span style="font-weight: bold">SRA</span> means that the driver also comes with Sniper Rifle Accessory (SRA) kit.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Brief specifications of MTD-15x72-12FS-MG torque driver:</span>

Made in the U.S.A. _______ Patent pending.
12 fixed torque settings: 15,18,21,24,27,30,36,43,50,57,65,72 inch-lbs.
Torque settings calibration accuracy: +/- 4%
Assembled torque driver weight (MTD-15x72-12FS-MG only): 4 ounces
Total weight with adapters and carry pouch (MG3 driver kit): 6 ounces
Materials: stainless steel, alloy steel, structural polymer
Warranty: 1 year limited, parts and labor

<span style="font-weight: bold">Click</span> to see the picture of MG torque driver and adapters from MG3 kit.

More information/feedback about MG3 driver kit, aka <span style="font-weight: bold">MG-TG</span>, is available here: <span style="font-weight: bold">Borka Tools Torque Driver</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">As offered, MG3-SRA kit (see pictures below) consists of</span><span style="font-weight: bold">:</span>

1. MG3 torque driver kit (aka MG-TG) comes in T.A.B. GEAR cordura nylon pouch and includes 2 adapters:
1/4" hex (male) to 1/4" square (male) adapter
1/4" square (female) to 3/8" square (male) adapter

2. Additional components, all supplied by Mountz, Inc. and verified to fit comfortably into the T.A.B. GEAR pouch:

Autolock bit holder (recommended for use as a primary driver spindle)
Mini ratchet wrench
1/2" hex socket (1/4" square drive)
Customized 18 pcs. hex bits set in 2 separate bit organizers, which includes:
Hex: 3/32", 7/64", 9/64", 5/32", 3/16", 3 mm, 5 mm
Flat: 4.5 mm, 7 mm
Torx: T-10, T-15, T-20, T-25, T-30
Philips: #1, #2
Pozi: #1, #2

Autolock hex bit holder from Mountz makes it possible for the user to securely attach a wide variety of different,
including long ones, hex bits and hex bit holders. Use of Autolock also makes it easy to elongate the torque driver
spindle at least 1.75" by assembling the Autolock bit holder and the standard magnetic hex bit holder together, for
additional clearance which may be needed while working with trigger guard fasteners.

Total weight of MG3-SRA kit is under 12 ounces. In comparison, total weight of MG3 kit (without SRA) is 6 ounces.

Price for SH members:

MG3-SRA (with accessories as decribed above) - $125.00
MG3 (without accessories) - $ 95.00

Delivery by USPS, either by Priority or First Class Mail, depending upon the shipping weight and destination.

Free shipping for SH members in the U.S.A., <span style="text-decoration: underline">including shipping to APO addresses</span>.
$10 shipping charge per each MG3-SRA kit for SH members in Canada.
$12 shipping charge per each MG3-SRA kit for SH members in other countries.

Borka Tools reserves right not to accept orders from SH members residing in certain countries, known not to handle USPS priority and first class mail from the U.S.A. in organized and timely manner.

So far, had <span style="text-decoration: underline">no</span> issues with deliveries to Canada, U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany.
Deliveries to these countries typically take <span style="text-decoration: underline">6-12 days</span>, except for <span style="font-weight: bold">Canada</span>, which is geographically the closest, and
therefore, it takes <span style="text-decoration: underline">12-22 days </span>for the package to arrive.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">How to order:</span></span>

Please send an e-mail to:
<span style="font-weight: bold">info AT borkatools DOT com</span>
Replace words AT and DOT with the appropriate symbols, with no spaces, for standard e-mail format.

and include the following info:

1. The tool kit code (either MG3-SRA or MG3) and quantity you would like to order.

2. Your user name on SH forums

3. Your shipping address, or at least the country of residence, as it is not always clear, by just looking at your email
address only, where you're located. Knowing your location is important, as it affects shipping charge and total amount
of the payment I'm supposed to request from you when your order is ready for delivery.

<span style="font-weight: bold">4. If you prefer to pay by USPS money order, please add this note to your e-mail. </span>

5. Ask any product related questions you may have

When your order is ready for delivery, I'll be sending a request for payment, from my PayPal seller
account, to your e-mail. You can then use your <span style="text-decoration: underline">credit card</span>, e-check or PayPal account to pay for the
order. Your credit card will be processed directly by PayPal secure system. If you indicate your
preference to pay by money order, I will be sending you an e-mail for money order request.

When you do send your payment by money order, please also include your complete shipping address and your e-mail.
Make money order (for either $125 or $95) to Borka Enterprises, and mail it to:

Borka Enterprises
29383 Breezewood
Farmington Hills, MI 48331

<span style="font-weight: bold">Have a specific request - do not place an order thru SH Private Message system, it takes much more time for me
to process it. PMs are welcome for everything else: questions, suggestions, issues, etc...</span>

If you are interested in other torque driver models, please visit www.borkatools.com, and e-mail to me your questions
and inquires. As of today, I also have limited quantity of <span style="font-weight: bold">Adjustable Torque Screwdrivers</span>, with 10-80 inch-lbs. torque
range, of classic "cam-over" design. Screwdriver kit includes 32 very high quality 1/4" hex bits, specifically selected for
gunsmithing applications. Each screwdriver is checked on torque meter for scale accuracy prior to shipping. Screwdrivers
are built in heavy duty fashion, relatively heavy and are not suitable for field use, but are perfect for use indoors.

My best regards and wishes to SH members

Boris
www.borkatools.com

MG3+MG3-SRA.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">History of this new offering.</span>

The development of this new multi torque driver and accessories kit had as its purpose to create a kit, which would be:

1. optimized for indoors and field maintenance/service of as many different scope/mount/rifle combinations as possible
2. compact and light weight as much as possible, to allow the user to carry more ammo and other essentials
3. compliant with certain quality requirements for the torque driver and accessories
4. priced within reach of the majority of potential buyers, interested in quality U.S. made firearms maintenance tools.

MG3-SRA kit became possible thanks to valuable feedback obtained from several professional sources and
individual users, and also, in large part, because I was lucky enough to receive very friendly assistance directly
from Mr. Brad Mountz, president of <span style="font-weight: bold">Mountz Inc </span>(San Jose, CA), the leader in U.S. made, high quality industrial
grade torque tools, equipment and related accessories. Brad, being the firearms enthusiast himself, made it possible
for me to obtain certain Mountz components of the latest design, required for my new kit. He also took it upon himself
to make sure that it was done with relative ease and at reasonable prices.

Adapters were sourced with the help from Tim Fitzpatrick of <span style="font-weight: bold">Michigan Industrial Tools </span>, (Grand Rapids, MI).
All torque driver parts are made and assembled in Michigan, fasteners and small internal parts are purchased from
McMaster Carr and Lee Spring Co, and carry pouches are supplied to Borka Tools by Tony Burkes of <span style="font-weight: bold">T.A.B. GEAR.</span>.
</div></div>