• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Touching up Cerecote Dark Earth

Jeff in TX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2004
McKinney, TX
Does anyone have any ideas on how to touch up Cerecote Dark Earth without sending the barrel to my smith to be completely redone?

Well, I don't have enough info to understand what your expectations(results) are but you can use the air-dry Cerakote with a brush for light touch up. Even better is an air-brush with a medium tip and 20 PSI of filtered air (compressor or propellant depending.) If you have to purchase and air brush, compressor, and the Cerakote you are half way to the cost of a professional re-coat anyway. My experience is that it never really "matches" but is close.

I've got two jars of Flat Dark Earth air dry. I'd repaint the barrel for you since I have the equipment if you pay shipping both ways. I'd do the oven coat as well if you buy the paint. I do have the Elite series Earth color but that won't match exactly. I'm in the Denver area.

Last edited:
So this is interesting...you guys are saying that "C Series" can be applied /will bond over the"H" with no blasting or mechanical prep?
How is it that "H" will not bond to itself (when fully cured)- but air cure will?

I don't think either will stick. It would need to be blasted and re-painted especially if using a different lot of paint.

It's not that it's bad it's more of a modification we made to the new MK12 Mod 0 and wanted it to match. No one makes a 300 Blk Out barrel in a .750 diameter behind the the threads for the suppressor. The front sight for the MK12 Mod 0 is .750 my particular barrel is .680 which has a taper behind the 5/8x24 threads. The front sight is just for looks and is not used as a sight or the gas block. Making a shim to slide over the barrel won't work because of the taper. We tried a few different things and nothing really held it in place. We came up with idea of using aluminium tape and simply wrapping it around until we had the correct diameter. Smith Cerekoted the barrel/tape and looked great. Everything was going to plan until we tightened the front sight and some of the tape squeezed out leaving a shinny aluminum. I'd just like to touch up the shinny aluminum tape.

I bought the barrel prior to deciding on MK12 Mod 0 build. I used what I had and it shoots lights out. The largest diameter 300 blk out barrel I can find is .745 though most are .740. If I decide to rebarrel sometime down the line, I'll go with .745 which will make this much easier.

I've got two jars of Flat Dark Earth air dry. I'd repaint the barrel for you since I have the equipment if you pay shipping both ways. I'd do the oven coat as well if you buy the paint. I do have the Elite series Earth color but that won't match exactly. I'm in the Denver area.

Thank you for your offer. Actually my smith is overseas on business. When he gets back he's got another idea to try and if that doesn't work he'll trim the aluminum tape, make sure nothing has squeezed out and repaint the whole barrel. I'm not blaming him in the least as he's tried a bunch of different options and he and I were both in time crunches to get it done and pick it up before he left to go overseas. All will be good soon!

5/8" threads on a .680 OD to support a suppressor?
I would have used .030 (or whatever was called for) in brass shim stock around the barrel instead of tape, might give that a try, awfully thin wall to turn a tapered bushing for it.

5/8" threads on a .680 OD to support a suppressor?
I would have used .030 (or whatever was called for) in brass shim stock around the barrel instead of tape, might give that a try, awfully thin wall to turn a tapered bushing for it.

The barrel diameter where the suppressor attaches is .730 then it turned down to .680 until it hits the gas port area of the barrel which is ,750. He turned a bushing/shim and split in half but it just didn't keep the front sight from turning when tightened down. We'll get this figured out. My ultimate goal is to find a 16" pistol port barrel that is .750 in diameter, but in the mean time this may not be the best solution but it works.