• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tough Mudder

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Well signed up paid the money June 2 pa... Got running shoes, joining Golds gym tomorrow. Now need advice on diet. I'm 5'9" 169 lbs and in okay shape. I really only need to drop 5 or so pounds. But really want to get cut up! I'm running with a team and my wife, but I REALLY want to train to run a 2nd time that day myself to push my body and mind? Most of my training will be core cause I think muscle fatigue will be a huge issue. Anyway where can I find the info to get my diet squared away. Any info from the guys who ran a Mudder would be great.

Re: Tough Mudder

Good for you for signing up! The only piece of equipment that Golds has that will help you with a TM is a treadmill. The obstacles are fun, but certainly not challenging. If you can't do 10+ pull-ups, that might be helpful too (more for the grip strength on the monkey bars than the actual pull-up strength). I recommend running and more running to get ready.

Cavemanmoore, thanks. I've been running and I feel better running now! I want to work up to 3 miles a day. Working on push ups and pull ups

+1 on the running.
At about mile 10 you will really start to feel drained.
The obstacles are fun, in fact your will look forward to them as they are a nice little break.
For excercise. Crossfit!!! or anything else that has the same "give it your all" kind of routine. Lots of endurance!!!
For diet. Look up the Paleo diet. Lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and nuts.

Good luck on the 2nd lap.
A few of us on my team are talking about trying that next time.

I did it last year in Utah.
I am about 5lbs over weight, all in my gut. I made it through with no problem.
Get the cardio up and make sure you do what ever you can to strengthen your ankles. I saw more ankle injuries than anything else.

The massive guy in my group had to drop out about 3/4 of the way through, he ended up with a minor break in his hip area.
The thin guys really held their own.

Do the workout they have on the site. It is in a PDF format.
I include it in my workout once a week.

You can get entire workout plans that include diet on bodybuilding.com. They have tons of plans on there based on what you want for your end result. http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/
If you scroll 3/4 the way down there is a thing that asks male/female, and it will prompt you a few times and guide you to a good workout based on what you want.
I had my squad follow Ryan Hughes's muscle building workouts for 6 weeks before Iraq and we all were very impressed with the results.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ryan-hughes-muscle-building-program.html
S roll past the supplement stuff and it has a full diet regimen as well as a training regimen.

Paleo, Paleo, Paleo. Keep it simple, it works. Here's a "typical" day of meals for me. I'm 6' 3" and 219lbs though.....

Breakfast:
3-4 eggs, cup of chobani yogurt, cup of organic oatmeal, and 1/2 an avocado. 5g of BCAA's mixed with water, men's mega sport daily vitamin, and a healthy fats (MCT's, fish oil, etc) supplement.

10:15am:
Couple hands full of almonds or peanuts with a banana.

Lunch:
A couple chicken thighs (more fat on them), spinach salad, 2% cottage cheese, and an orange.

Snack:
More nuts or a protein bar

Dinner:
More meat, veggies, and fats, brown rice. 1/2 an avocado. 5g of BCAA's with water.

After lifting/before bed:
20oz of nonfat milk with my protein. In my case it's "Amplify XL"

Hope that helps you, it's all a mystery until you find what your body wants. That's the fun in it.

I did it down in AZ last year. Go with some friends is my best advice. No one is clocking you. If it turns into a 12-mile hike, so be it.