• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tracer bullets

CowboyBart

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2007
North West WY
I want to make tracer bullets inert. How long do I need to soak them in water for? Guessing - Let them dry for a week before loading??

What tracers, M-196,M-856, M-62, M-276, M-25, M-10, M-17 ? Some tracers have a sealed base with a thin copper cup covering the trace element. Soaking it in water won't do anything.

Reactions: camocorvette
30 cal, Orange tip, light cannelure and a heavy cannelure. Copper cap on base. What do I have to do to these in order to NOT be "that guy" that starts a wildfire?

30 cal, Orange tip, light cannelure and a heavy cannelure. Copper cap on base. What do I have to do to these in order to NOT be "that guy" that starts a wildfire?
Honestly? Don't shoot them. It only takes one to start a fire. I wouldn't take that risk. PB blast might penetrate the cap but is that worth the risk?

American reloading has pulls that'll probably be more accurate anyways for a cost well lower than a fire departments bill for a fire.

Depends what they are. If they don't have a copper base and are open base tracer bullets. You could soak them in water. If they have a copper base your better off selling/trading them. Or only shoot in wet conditions.
If open base bullets and you soak them. The compound could potentially fall out. Giving you ridiculously different bullet weights.
Either way. There not gonna be good for anything accuracy wise. Unless just banging steel.

Don't soak them in water. A lot of these flammable compounds go right back to being flammable and/or explosive again when they dry out. And water does dry, obviously.

If they didn't dry, now you've got water inside your loaded cases that WILL migrate into the powder eventually. If you shoot them before that happens, that water converts to steam and changes the pressure, possibly making a safe load dangerous.

Lots of reasons that is a bad idea. If you're not safe to be shooting tracer bullets in your area, just don't shoot them. Don't be "that guy" who was so cheap he had to use something anyway just to save a few bucks.