• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tract Scope Opinion?

Frankk

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2019
I’m considering a Tract Toric 2-10x42 for boar hunting with my 308 bolt gun. I need good field-of-view to deal with charging animals in rough hilly wooded terrain, and for shots no longer than 300yds. I also need a comfortable view thru wide eyebox at all magnification.
Thanks

I’m considering a Tract Toric 2-10x42 for boar hunting with my 308 bolt gun. I need good field-of-view to deal with charging animals in rough hilly wooded terrain, and for shots no longer than 300yds. I also need a comfortable view thru wide eyebox at all magnification.
Thanks
European hunters are the absolute experts when it comes to shooting running boars. The most popular scopes there have a magnification range that starts with 1X, goes up to 6X or 8X, and have a single illuminated dot in the center of a plain duplex or #4A reticle.

Trac makes nothing that fits that description so I suggest you shop elsewhere.

Reactions: Frankk
I also considered a Steiner GS3 2-10x42, but eye relief specs of 3.5-4.3 concerned me. Scope I want to replace (Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36) annoys me with varying eye relief

Is there anything else I should consider for less than $1k?

If you truly are dealing with the possibility of a charging animal I would recommend an optic with 1x on the low end. Even 2x can be hard to pickup a moving object at close range in a hurry. Don't forget to leave it on 1x at all times unless you are about to take a longer shot.

I had one for a short period of time. A little heavy at 34oz and a 30mm tube but it was a nice scope especially at the price point. I ended up sending it back and returned it because some dirt on the inside of the scope and was visible while looking through it. John was pretty understanding and nice to work with. The time i had it, the glass was pretty good and it tracked perfectly. If you don’t mind the weight, its great.

The point about low magnification for charging animals is well taken if that happens a lot. That did happen to me one time during a boar hunt in Tennessee last year but I still managed with my old scope Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36. I am actually well accustomed and satisfied with my old scope on low end but I do want to improve my image on the higher end while keeping a good low end. I apologize that I didn’t make that clear in my original post.
So unless I hear ugly reviews on the Tract Toric 2-10x42.. I’ll probably buy one to find out for myself .

The Toric 2x10 I looked up has a 49 foot field of view. I Feel that is ample. I use a fixed 4 power for close hunting. I would like more magnification on the longer static shots though so the Toric might be a good fit.

I pretty much had same logic with the Tract Toric 2-10x42 scope - so I just ordered it.

I got my original Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 because that’s all I could afford at the time.. But I will say it has served me very well thru four years and multiple successful boar hunts and never lost zero. It’s actually a very good short range hunting scope (up to 100yds) with a very comfortable eye box at lower magnification. Only reason I am looking at other things is to get more range while retaining the good short range performance I am accustomed to. Wish me good luck with the Tract.

I’m considering a Tract Toric 2-10x42 for b
boar hunting with my 308 bolt gun. I need good field-of-view to deal with charging animals in rough hilly wooded terrain, and for shots no longer than 300yds. I also need a comfortable view thru wide eyebox at all magnification.
Thanks

If your budget will allow I suggest you look at the Zeiss Victory 1-8x. There is no finer driven boar scope. The center dot illumination is usable in bright sunlight.

EJ

got to look through one this weekend It was not bad view buy 700 hundred dollars for a 2- 10 seems expensive for very little scope but one does what ones wants to with there money just my 2 cents .

Reactions: Frankk
The Zeiss Victory for $2700 is sadly far beyond my budget. But I did consider a Zeiss V4 - I might have gone with that if they had something near 2-10 range.

Well just ordered a 4-20x50 prs so will see how this pans out. Keeping fingers crossed

I can confirm the Tract Toric 2-10x42 works very well for my needs. It has a very wide eyebox and constant 4-inch eye relief at all magnifications, and it’s very clear and comfortable to get behind. And it of course passed every tracking test I could think of. Only time will tell how it holds up but I am very pleased with mine so far.

Reactions: AllAheadFull
I was nervous when I bought mine because they are only sold on line so you can‘t really look through it until you have it. So I watched every youtube video that I could find on them before purchasing one (the 4x20-50prs). I get it and look through it, got the reticle focused up for my eye then started comparing it to every other piece of glass I own. It beat them all. Tracking has been fine, which all the videos on line that I watched proved too. Totally worth it.

Not made any more. But something like it has to be out there.

I just got my 4-20 scope in today. And so far it looks good, very good. Hope to get it mounted and to the range this week. Edge to edge is clear. The parallax seems to be spot on. Will let everyone know as soon as I get it to the range. This will be going on my hunting rig.