• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Traditional hunting rifle stocks versus

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Good morning,

I am curious to see how many of you all hunt with rifles in a stock that deviates from the traditional profile.

If so, your assessment? How does it feel when shouldering? Is it as quick to put into action?

Maybe not so much for the Western hunters hunting wide open spaces, or the hunter sitting in a box stand overlooking a 500 acre bean field - stock profile might not mean much.

Here in the Southeast most of my hunting is in the woods, or edge of fields. Shots are usually around 100 yds give or take. Opportunities for longer shots do exist.

1. Traditional stock i.e. Winchester M70 style, Ruger M77, and Remington 700 BDL.

2. Non-traditional i.e. KRG Bravo, Bergara HMR stock, Grayboe Renegade etc. (plus the Manners and McMillans).

I'm concerned about weight or modularity. Strictly speaking to the actual profile, forearm width, grip angle, and cheek riser, etc.

Thank you for your input.

I stil went with a traditional stock. They are a little more comfortable carrying on your shoulder with a sling and still easier more natural to shoulder quickly for a snap shot.

Reactions: kackling-jackel
My image of a hunting rifle is a W70 Featherweight, favorite hunting rifle. How you hunt plays a big roll in your choice IMO. Defining hunting leads to internet combat so I will stop here.

Reactions: VP47PPC
All of my hunting rifles get restocked with a McMillan Hunters Edge or Classic Edge, or a Manners SL. I find the SL is a fantastic all around stock for the way I hunt and shoot.

I have picked up a couple other Manners stocks to give them a try - the EH2 and the EH4.

I am going to try the new Manners Ultra Classic that @tmanners came out with at Shot show this year, once he gets the group buy goin!

I consider my mcmillan traditional in design ..but gives me more confidence....don't worry about if it changes poi because of weather or stock splits because of an unfortunat e accident . I see not much difference in a good fiberglass and wood in profile ,weight, pointability. But am a fan of the palmswell...I do appreciate a good wood stock...but probably hunting with fiberglass...

I'm going to go on a limb and say my hunting setup deviates from the traditional stock. :)

I hunt with an AXMC. To me its my ideal setup, taken it on short and long hike hunts from mountains to deer stands in Wisconsin. Being able to fold the buttstock to shorten the profile is a big benefit to me as well as all the adjustments and accessory potential. Speaking to chassis overall and not the AXMC specifically, I prefer the chassis because it provides great flexibility and adjustability. Ive shot with it prone, kneeling, standing supported on a tree limb and from a tripod setup in the field. The LOP adjustment is huge to me, since some hunts are -5 degrees so extra layers are needed thus making the shoulder pocket depth/angle change, handled nicely by the adjustable LOP and angling of the buttstock. Weight I think may be the primary difference to a traditional stock, but a chassis configuration weight can be lessened by carbon fiber barrels and changing/removing parts that aren't needed. With the chassis and more weight it also lessens felt recoil.

I do agree with @isofahunter in that how you define hunting may heavily impact your decision but i really enjoy the chassis feel for the hunting I do. I trust it, know how its going to shoot at different positions and configurations. A few users spoke to confidence I think thats what its about really, what do you feel confident and comfortable shooting with. lots of good choices out there!

Last edited:
I prefer the Manners EH1 and McMillan A3. I like a vertical grip and don't like the wide forend of other models. Most of the hunting I do in Idaho is conductive to longer shooting and I usually end up in the prone with a bipod. Works great for me, might not be the best choice for others .

I like a traditional stock, a Tikka in a McMilan edge or Tikka CTR in a BC sporter. Offhand, seated or prone no worries.

My lighter carry rifles are all traditional Manners and McMillan... my heavier rifles are all set up more for shooting off the ground...

XLR Evolution at the moment, but have used McM a5 and AI. I just can't get comfortable on a traditional style stock anymore, and I feel like a wood stocked rifle would look goofy with a suppressor. Maybe a McM HTG or B&C m40 would work, but that's for a later day.

I mix my hunt styles so I dont let the weight bother me, stalks, sitting on a clearing or field, box blind, etc. etc.

What's "traditional"?

Here's just three which I suspect fall into that category:
pistol-pommel-and-straight-hand-grips.jpg

And there are different rakes on the pistol grip. Single piece rifle stocks today (especially for precision rifle) tend towards much more vertical. Here's a selection from Manners alone:
MCS-EH8.jpg

mcs-ta-right_1.jpg

MCS-T7-Elite-Moss.jpg

prs1.jpg

And I am not just being pedantic. When I started shooting, these distinctions were worth loud fights. People would give you crap for having "not traditional" looking stock shapes if you showed up for a hunt with some military or foreign-styled rifle.

A friend of mine inherited some guns recently without trouble from the family because they were euro styled, so no one else liked them.

Need better definitions to discuss well.

Anyway, MANY discussions, esp from the shotgunning world. Google things like english/straight stock vs pistol grip.

@shoobe01 thanks for the input, but I covered the term “traditional “ in the OP.

However, to answer your question a stock with a profile shape in your first manners picture.

That profile has been on many wood stocked bolt action rifles over the years.

Thanks

After shooting tactical stocks I don't get the point of hunting stocks.
My elk hunting rifle in 6.5prc
20190131_155753.jpg

6.5 creedmoor
IMG_0917.jpg

The whole snap shooting thing is such a remote possibility and is usually a shot that you shouldn't take. I am going to take a shot from a rest or tripod.

One of my favorites is definitely the A5 pattern but for the hunting rifle I'm building now I want to keep the weight closer to 10 lbs and will be using a Greyboe Terrain.
You might want to take a look at the terrain, it's a transitional stock sharing some common features of target and traditional stocks.

Reactions: TanktheFrank
The more I think about it, the less I think I'd enjoy a traditional style stock. As my experience grows I find things that are must haves now, that I was unaware of when shooting uncle's "oughtsix".

1. The comb was set up for iron sights and left me with a weird head position. I could notice it then, and I can darn sure see it now.
2. I use AI mags, not to have 10+ rounds on tap, rather unloading and storing fast if needed. My opinion has me thinking that a traditional stock with a dbm is gross and not for me.
3. I prefer side mounted sling, rather than the bottom of the rifle.
4. A chassis, is infinitely more adjustable to suit my needs than a traditional stock, without serious modification. LOP, grip, fore end, etc. Therefore, I can get more comfortable, and for me that leads to more time behind the trigger, and from there more shot confidence.

The whole snap shooting thing is such a remote possibility and is usually a shot that you shouldn't take. I am going to take a shot from a rest or tripod.

My one truly "snapshot" was off hand about 40/50 yards with a narrow window before the buck that jumped up would dive into brush again. Because of all the years of wing shooting dove, quail , duck and skeet with traditional styled stocks it was natural to instinctively swing, acquired and hit the deer right through the heart. Most other times its shoot what presents - off hand, drop into sitting position or drop a day pack and shoot across it. Obviously hunting methods have evolved, the thought of lugging a shooting tripod, a heavier chassis rifle with a big fat optic does not "feel" like hunting. Ive seen the gamut from 4X scope's on a rifle in wood to variable powers on stainless steel in a fiberglass stock to now big glass to on bulky boxy chassis. No judgement here glad to have fellow hunters than see it die out.

chassis guy through and through here, mainly for the adjustments.
with a rail up front i can stick on a GO-Pro camera etc.
like someone else said, thick jacket to t-shirt.
my fathers old model 70 in 30-06 is nice and light but with a ton of layers on in the cold you can never get it fit right.
some of the latest chassis are almost as light as a "traditional", so the weight savings is becoming less and less of a variable.
everything had its time and i think the traditional stock is on its last legs.
modularity and pistol grips will be the only thing seen sooner or later, prob before im in the grave.

unless you are getting engraved and special wood species...thats a different story.

My one truly "snapshot" was off hand about 40/50 yards with a narrow window before the buck that jumped up would dive into brush again. Because of all the years of wing shooting dove, quail , duck and skeet with traditional styled stocks it was natural to instinctively swing, acquired and hit the deer right through the heart. Most other times its shoot what presents - off hand, drop into sitting position or drop a day pack and shoot across it. Obviously hunting methods have evolved, the thought of lugging a shooting tripod, a heavier chassis rifle with a big fat optic does not "feel" like hunting. Ive seen the gamut from 4X scope's on a rifle in wood to variable powers on stainless steel in a fiberglass stock to now big glass to on bulky boxy chassis. No judgement here glad to have fellow hunters than see it die out.
Keep in mind I am stating an opinion from a spot and stalk standpoint like we do in Arizona or similar terrain. The elk my son shot we spotted 1200 yards away and moved up to 500 yards away. I can see if you are in a heavily wooded area or in Africa rocking the 373 H&H using a hunting stock.

I agree with the evolution of hunting styles, and it definitely differs regionally. I do not hunt the same way they do in Florida, nor Colorado (for the most part), therefore I tailor my gear to maximize success. I hunt for food, and I prefer to leave the field with freezer meat. It is a good thing to have responsible, passionate hunters out there. To each their own fits this pretty well.

A weaver 4x on a Win. 70 in 3006 was more effective at taking deer in 1960 than a 30-30 from the 20s-30s with worn irons (under the same conditions of course). Is that like comparing a Seekins Havak, Bergara HMR, or a semi custom of today to that same Win. 70? Better equipment available to the masses, better bullets, better optics etc. etc.

It seems like there was a shift from "good enough" to "good for me". By that I mean more and more things are becoming adjustable for the end user, allowing them a better solution than just what was used in the past that seemed good enough.

I would have asked about successful hunters and what they use.
Hunting and fishing sucks I'd rather be killing and catching than hunting and fishing.

like we do in Arizona or similar terrain

Nexus, I thought that looked like AZ country S and E of Flagstaff. My hunting is mostly in S AZ, Coues spot and shoot but sometimes they pop out just below you or I get opportunities moving between stands (can't stay in the same place for more than 3-4 hours) Sounds like a great hunt that your son will remember forever.

Reactions: nexusfire
First year that I have hunted with anything besides a classic huntin stock. I have a McMillan game hunter and you get used to it pretty fast. Feels much better to me.

I had a 7mm08 Built on a McMillan m40a1 (HTG minus texture). Decided to build another off an Origan action so ordered another and set out to do the build. Funny thing, haven’t hunted with a rifle in about 20 years (give or take). So when the stock came in it felt odd. So much so I sold it and put the set up in an A3-5 I had lying around. Guess all that target shooting made me a vertical grip only guy. No issue with wrist position positional shooting or forarme girth.

All of my hunting rifles get restocked with McMillan Game Scouts. I like the vertical grip combined with the more traditional hunting forend. I’ve never had an issue shouldering rifles stocked that way in the field or found it to be slow in any way. To the contrary, the vertical grip makes it easy to manipulate and secure on the shoulder.

Another MCM Game Scout shooter. Vertical grip with nice slim silouette that you can hike with all day. Stock is around 2 lbs. i am running a krieger light palma (22”) in 6.5cm. The balance is a little nose heavy for my liking so when it comes time to re-barrel, gonna try a proof cf barrel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patton63
I personally prefer a traditional style stock for my needs which sounds similar to yours. I have a tikka in a McMillan Sako edge and I just ordered a EH6a from Manners for a build. I believe this will be a perfect mix, well I hope anyway.

Another MCM Game Scout shooter. Vertical grip with nice slim silouette that you can hike with all day. Stock is around 2 lbs. i am running a krieger light palma (22”) in 6.5cm. The balance is a little nose heavy for my liking so when it comes time to re-barrel, gonna try a proof cf barrel.

I just did this - Game Scout with a 22” Sender’s Light profiled Proof barrel in 6.5 creedmoor. It balances perfectly and is lighter than I was expecting.

We all have different standards and definitions. I am sure what some of those folks call hunting has little to do with putting on boots and a pack and heading to the mountains on foot for days or weeks. At least I have never seen rigs like that on the trail or in a scabbard on a horse, in a safari car in Mozambique, on a mountain in Central Asia.

My hunting stocks include:
McMillan Adjustable Game Warden
McMillan Game Scout
Manners EH1
Manners EH2
Manners T2A
Manners PRS2
Manners PRS2 (on order)

Just like many of you I started out with a Remy BDL then moved to a Sako then I got into PRS and got Desert Tech A1 and have hunted with it ever since. It’s a little weighty but I don’t even think about my traditional rifles any more. Its been on every hunt since I got it. I have shaved some weight going to a lighter scope, 16” barrel heavily fluted and covert hand guard. I throw it in a Eby low drag pack if I hav ea long hike and the weight has never bothered me. I have it set up to fit me, tuned the trigger the way I like it and built all the loads I need for what I am hunting.
I would say I’ve strayed as far from traditional as it’s gets!

Last edited:
I have allways used a traditional stock on my hunting rifles (bolt action). The majority of my hunting is done in NE North Carolina and the vast majority of shots are sub 200 yds. I really like the factory stock on my Bergara B14 Hunter---nothing fancy but a vast improvment over most factory plastic tupperware stocks. That said I can see how a more tactical stock/chassis would be helpful if I hunted out west or for a dedicated beanfield gun.

Reactions: rookie7
Good morning,

I am curious to see how many of you all hunt with rifles in a stock that deviates from the traditional profile.

If so, your assessment? How does it feel when shouldering? Is it as quick to put into action?

Maybe not so much for the Western hunters hunting wide open spaces, or the hunter sitting in a box stand overlooking a 500 acre bean field - stock profile might not mean much.

Here in the Southeast most of my hunting is in the woods, or edge of fields. Shots are usually around 100 yds give or take. Opportunities for longer shots do exist.

1. Traditional stock i.e. Winchester M70 style, Ruger M77, and Remington 700 BDL.

2. Non-traditional i.e. KRG Bravo, Bergara HMR stock, Grayboe Renegade etc. (plus the Manners and McMillans).

I'm concerned about weight or modularity. Strictly speaking to the actual profile, forearm width, grip angle, and cheek riser, etc.

Thank you for your input.
I use McMillan hunter stock . Hunting stocks have a more angled grip better standing ,a d the hunter stocks typically are slimmer hence lighter. Beaver forends more for bag ride and fat barrel .
Another big concern is barrel length . I have a 22" 270win I love for woods carry ,vs my 26" that seems to get hung up on every branch.
My 2 cents

I’m in the Southeast too and typically hunt pine plantations or hardwood creek bottoms.

I’ve used a Remington 700 in 308 in a KRG x-ray the last couple years and I’ve kinda gotten used to hunting with it
Pros: it’s quiet(suppressed), it fits me well, comb is set just right for eye alignment in scope, sturdy, tough, I like the vertical grip, I’m confident I can hit what I want to with it.
Cons: heavy, lots of places for sticks, vines, branches to hang up on when walking through the woods, just doesn’t carry as nicely as a traditional rifle.

I’ve got a Tikka hunter in 308 that I hunt with. As classic as classic gets for a hunting rifle, blued, wood, traditional in most every way.
Pros: it works, it’s light, shoulders well, carries well, I’m confident I can hit most anything I want with it.
Cons: it’s loud, eye alignment for the scope is not there, I’ve got a triad stock pack on it but it slips around some. Not bad but still not like an actual adjustable comb

I’ve got a NEF single shot 444 Marlin I hunt with also. Again as traditional as you can get really.
Pros: super compact, short, carries easy
Cons: slower follow up shots, not quite as accurate as the 308s but good enough

If I had to list them in order of my preference to hunt with I’d say the Remington in the KRG first, due to the fact that its adjustable so I could make it fit me, I’m confident with it, it’s got my best scope on it. Second would be the tikka, because it just works, it’s light, and an all around good package that fits hunting situations. Last the 444 marlin mostly due to accuracy and my lack of confidence that I could hit something at 200+ with it.

My usual shout out for GRS... All the benefits of a chassis without the weight and with way better ergonomics. I hunt Virginia whitetails from ground blinds so I want something compact and well-fitting. This fits the bill perfectly. It's 3 pounds. 2 pounds would be better but at least it's not 5 pounds minimum like a chassis.

-Stooxie

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
Anyone else hunt with an ar?

I built this 300blk to have a lightweight semi auto deer rifle since 90% of my hunting the farthest shot is 50-60 yards (unless I'm hunting down east with family on huge soybean fields). So far in the past 2 seasons I've taken 4 deer with it and the 300blk does the job fantastically.
I still love my marlin 270 but really like the compactness of an ar for hunting in the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_20181117_131312_916.jpg
    IMG_20181117_131312_916.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
Reactions: lou400a
I’ve hunted with an AR-15. Super lite, super compact, handles well, good starter gun because it’s adjustable and has lite recoil. The 223 will put a deer down quick with good shot placement. That caliber is not forgiving of bad shot placement tho.

I’ve never used a large frame AR.

I’m Definitely a more traditional style stock for my hunting rifles. M40A1 / McMillan HTG, Gunwerks Clymer, Manners styles. An M40A1 stock with Loggerhead adjustable cheek piece at the most depending on the weight. Mountain type hunting, the lighter the better. LR Antelope hunting in Wyoming is a different story, at that point I may op for something a bit heavier. It’s all personal preference.

This is a hog I shot a few years back. Surgeon 6.5x47, 30” Krieger in an AX Chasis. Different kind of hunting. Lol not the type where I had to carry it very far. ?

Last edited:
I’ve hunted with an AR-15. Super lite, super compact, handles well, good starter gun because it’s adjustable and has lite recoil. The 223 will put a deer down quick with good shot placement. That caliber is not forgiving of bad shot placement tho.

I’ve never used a large frame AR.

Yeah the blk is a little more forgiving than a 223, based on what I've seen mine do. But theres never a good reason to not make a well placed shot.

I know it's an old thread but has anyone considered the MDT LSS XL gen 2? Seems to meet all the pros of a chassis and the lightweight factor of a stock. Tried hunting with a KRG Bravo but the grip was just too fat for me. Granted I have much more experience carrying AR pattern rifles so that may be part of it.

The MDT chassis he was asking about, at least I think that's what the HCR has on it.

Oh gotcha. While they do have some similarities, it's not exactly the same chassis system. The one used on the HCR is a chassis by Accurate Mag. It makes for a great shooting platform and I've never had any issues with it. I use mine for hunting but my type of hunting does not consist of hiking for miles through the mountains. I do some walk & stalk type of hunts as well as sitting in or besides some shades brush low on the ground, or even box blind hunting. The most I ever walk around with it would probably be 2.5 miles.
IMG_20181205_153557_892.jpg

Reactions: Jumper
I think XLR’s upcoming Element V3 is going to be a shakeup for the industry, and the Pork Sword to a lesser extent. Typically we’ve been looking at 2-2.5lb for just the chassis, and it adds up fast... and then we end up carrying a 20lb-ish rifle in the mountains for a couple days. At 28oz including the stock and grip (admittedly as an option) it’s lighter than any stock I know of that can get a cheek high enough to be comfortable with a large-objective scope without several more oz of strap-on pad.

Reactions: CuTm
I think XLR’s upcoming Element V3 is going to be a shakeup for the industry, and the Pork Sword to a lesser extent. Typically we’ve been looking at 2-2.5lb for just the chassis, and it adds up fast... and then we end up carrying a 20lb-ish rifle in the mountains for a couple days. At 28oz including the stock and grip (admittedly as an option) it’s lighter than any stock I know of that can get a cheek high enough to be comfortable with a large-objective scope without several more oz of strap-on pad.
I haven't heard of it! What's the price point supposed to be?

Yeah buddy (y)

Reactions: gnochi
I haven't heard of it! What's the price point supposed to be?

Just over $1000 with a CF stock and grip and magnesium chassis. Aluminum is a bit heavier and a fair bit cheaper. There’s a thread about it over in the Bolt Actions subforum.

For comparison’s sake, I just spent about that on a CF stock with an adjustable cheek, a pic rail, and a couple flush cups, and an AICS-compatible bottom metal. Altogether that’s going to be about 42oz - just shy of a pound heavier.

I have a couple eh1's plus all kinds of factory stocks and chassis. I really like the HTG edge on my proof barreled 300wsm. I'll definitely build my next hunting rifle with this stock.