• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trainer build

Nightlybane

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
Illinois
Once taxes are back, I'll be getting 12k back. So I'm going to invest in a varmint build/trainer build. I love the .223 but open to options like 6.5 swede and .308. My other rifle I'm building is 300 prc. So question is, what other round recommendations do you all have? I'm wanting a caliber for varmint also. Short action mausingfield. Or long action depending on caliber for maximum efficiency and ballistics.

You can't go wrong with a straight 223. But every .223 barrel should be sold with a bullet feeder equipped Dillon 750, 3K pcs of LC brass, two cases of primers, 32lbs of 8208, two 4500ct bulk packs of 75gr BTHPs, and a RT1500 case prep toolhead with a Layman M die, universal decapper, and a Lee APP with swaging die. That way you can sit back and watch all the nannies complain about the rising costs of ammo.

But seriously, the problem with 9mm subguns, cool AR15's and STI's is everyone buys one, makes an initial investment of blammo, shoots thru half of it, and then never shoots their gun anymore bc their hording their pathetically small reserve of remaining ammo. If you're going to do those guns justice you have to be ready to feed them so you can shoot them guilt free.

223 wylde

Reactions: Nightlybane
I'm reading every response and it seems like .223 is the way to go for a trainer.
I think it is the way to go. I have 3 custom rifles: 6.5 x 47, 6mm GT, and .223. I don't really treat the .223 as a trainer. It is my low-cost, fun rifle, and I can shoot it in tactical classes of competition. I run a 1:7" twist 28" MTU contour Criterion barrel and shoot 80 grain projectiles. On a low wind day, it is just as accurate as the other two out to 600 yards.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
You can't go wrong with a straight 223. But every .223 barrel should be sold with a bullet feeder equipped Dillon 750, 3K pcs of LC brass, two cases of primers, 32lbs of 8208, two 4500ct bulk packs of 75gr BTHPs, and a RT1500 case prep toolhead with a Layman M die, universal decapper, and a Lee APP with swaging die. That way you can sit back and watch all the nannies complain about the rising costs of ammo.

But seriously, the problem with 9mm subguns, cool AR15's and STI's is everyone buys one, makes an initial investment of blammo, shoots thru half of it, and then never shoots their gun anymore bc their hording their pathetically small reserve of remaining ammo. If you're going to do those guns justice you have to be ready to feed them so you can shoot them guilt free.

If you don't want to deal with the processing, purchase the brass already sized, trimmed, and swaged.

I run a Dillon 550B and put a Mighty Armory mandrel sizing die in the first station to touch up the processed case. Size, prime, powder, seat, and a very slight taper crimp. 300 rounds per hour and with 77 SMKs, groups are all under 0.5 MOA.

If you don't want to deal with the processing, purchase the brass already sized, trimmed, and swaged.

I run a Dillon 550B and put a Mighty Armory mandrel sizing die in the first station to touch up the processed case. Size, prime, powder, seat, and a very slight taper crimp. 300 rounds per hour and with 77 SMKs, groups are all under 0.5 MOA.
Thanks for the advice. I don't reload but will have to get a good setup

22lr for a trainer. Can shoot out to 300yards and get all the fundamentals down for long range