• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses KC, MO

KC-Chas.

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2010
KC, MO
I had my first experience firing a L.R. rifle last week and now I'm hooked. Can anyone recommend any courses in the KC, MO area for newbies.

Re: Training Courses KC, MO

How much firearms experience do you have?

This is my opinion, but I feel you should have solid fundamentals before you go LR, so I recommend getting Fred's rifleman package. Practice the 25M AQT until you can consistently score in the 200s, then move on to LR. Since last October, I try to shoot at least one AQT per month, and finally shot my first 250 on Sunday (8-shot "quick-and-dirty" AQT, w/M4 clone, S&B 5.56 ball, USO SN4).

There is no "long range training" nearby that I am aware of, but come down to a Big Piney Tactical/"F-class" match and ask all the questions that you want. Make sure to bring a pistol and carbine along for the 2-gun course. Local Service Rifle/F-class comps are another good source of information.

"He's been bitten by the bug..." - welcome,

Bill

Bill -

Thanks for the note. I have been around firearms most of my life, but would still call myself a novice - I had to "google" some of the acronyms that you used above.

Since moving to KC from NYC I have mostly been working on my handgun skills at the range. Last week, however, I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's GAP and was blown away with the beauty of its accuracy and craftsmanship - it was a good looking rifle.

I plan on ordering the package you referenced above as a first-step and getting some range time in.

-KC-Chas.

Hi Chas,

Sounds good, and sorry about writing in acronyms (habit). Those targets are a good test of overall "readiness", and I figure if you can shoot off-hand, everything else should get easier (assuming rifle's not too heavy)?

"I have been around firearms most of my life... NYC...", somehow I didn't think the two went together?
wink.gif

Cheers,

Bill

The NYC comment is oh so true (I actually tried to register a shotgun - what a disaster). Originally from Wisconsin with a 5 year layover in NYC for work. Just married a KC girl and have been getting back into the hunting / shooting grove.

I'm currently shooting a Browning BAR, so I should be okay on the weight front while I practice.

-C

Consider adding a rimfire to the collection, it's a whole lot cheaper to practice with! I can't recall anyone shooting a BAR at Big Piney, but with a proper scope (target knobs, enough EL to get to 800), it could be fun. Is it in 308?

Bill

Agreed about the BAR, no way it get out deep it's a 30-06 Spfld. I was thinking to use it more to practice fundamentals close-up while I learn more about the technical aspects of the sport and then step it up to some proper equipment after I feel more comfortable with my knowledge and skills.

I was inquiring about training courses as I am equipment and knowledge poor. I didn't want to jump into a $3K gun before I knew what the heck I was talking about.

The 30-06 was setting long range records well before the 308 came along, and there are several flavors of factory match ammo available. Get your scope first, and then swap back and move it to the new rifle later? That is assuming your current scope isn't so great for LR shooting....

Bill

Good luck finding somewhere to shoot long range close by. Start schmoozing farmers to use there fields.

Take a look at DVC I haven't taken a class from them but everyone around here says their good. They are on the kansas side in garnet I think. just google it