• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Pace for a 45 pound Pack

bmt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Skinner's Mudhole, Oregon
hi guys:

I am working on a trip to ThunderRanch in May. Part of the training involves heading up the ridges for work on high angle shooting.

I have been carrying a Gunslinger II pack (thanks Ceylon) loaded with a rangefinder (thanks Doug at cameraland) rifle, spotting scope, tri-pod (Precision Rifle Solutions).

I am also carrying my bench sandbags to account for extra water I will carry up the hill. Total is 45 pounds on the scale.

I get about 4 mph with this load on FLAT land.

ThunderRanch is at 5,600 ft elevation. I ain't huffin at 4 mph. I WILL BE when I get to elevation.

So, whats a good training pace?

BMT

Re: Training Pace for a 45 pound Pack

If you can 5 MPH is a decent pace without running, I try to run every other light pole when doing any distance under 8 miles. Also train with more weight than you will be carrying I think that is really how to get the edge when rucking.
hope this helps
Adam

and hills. It sucks but it will definitely make a difference.Try to jog the downhill portions and maintain that 4-5mph walking pace on the uphills. Be careful though, especially if you up the weight and/or decide to run. If your pack starts to shift around or you step down funny you can hurt yourself and it's not worth it!
Jason

Are you training closer to sea level?

4-5 mph is good for between 35-45 pounds, but an altitude change and drier air can also kick the snot out of you. Add some short, basic PT runs (2 miles should do) 3-4 times a week to maintain or build your aerobic capacity.

Rucking stairs will help for slope work. You might want to get some basic ski or trekking poles to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you training closer to sea level?

</div></div>

Yes, about 450 above sea level.

BMT

Intervals have always help me gain speed and endurance both in running and rucking.

Work intervals into you ruck, do 2 miles at a 4mph pace, then 2 at a 6mph pace, repeat. If you aren't able to do 6mph then start with 5mph, once comfortable with your speed bump it up.

This shaved tons of time off my timed movements.

Become more comfortable while moving at higher speed will pay off when you hit higher alt.

We did this in prep for a 3 day, 60+ mile movement on the Appalachian Trail, worked very well.

How I have always done it ( Not that I hump up mountains ) but I always train with more weight than I'll use for my 20k or how ever long the distance is. This normally helps me out. I would also think that the terrain is going to dictate your speed a lot so I wouldn't worry to much about the time if you are going up a mountain side I'd be more worried about proper footing so you don't destroy your ankle and can't make it back down.

Flat land at low elevation will NEVER prepare you for hills at 5000 ft no matter what the pace.

You need to get on some ellipticals, treadmills, stair machines, etc. and work the hills. On the ellipticals use resistance which sort of replicates load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flat land at low elevation will NEVER prepare you for hills at 5000 ft no matter what the pace.</div></div>

granted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to get on some ellipticals, treadmills, stair machines, etc. and work the hills. On the ellipticals use resistance which sort of replicates load. </div></div>

I have some local hills to work out on, but only on weekends.

BMT

Thanks for all of the tips. This ain't gonna be a 50 mile hump. A lot of shooting then pick up and move. But, Clint LIVES at that altitude and won't be carrying a pack, so I gotta keep up.

BMT

Work above areobic threshold for as long as you can (Beyond what you could maintain indefinetly assuming you stay hydrated/fueled). What helps is keeping your percieved effort as low as possible, if it feels easier than your usual workout, it will be easy on the nerves and legs, even if the duration is alot longer. Endurance has alot to do with the perception of exertion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to get on some ellipticals, treadmills, stair machines, etc. and work the hills. On the ellipticals use resistance which sort of replicates load. </div></div>

No, I disagree with this. Ellipticals, and cycling are not what you want. You will be weakening all the micromuscles that you will need. You need to train on dirt, where the impacts will be realistic. That is the case for any hike prep IMO.

You need to build both endurance, and sprint cardio. Find yourself some unpacked dirt hills, and stairs to climb. But yes, hit them hard.

I live at ~4200 ft, and travel to sea level about once a quarter. Always cracks me up how much easier it is. Kicks my butt coming back though.

45 lb is not a lot of weight at all. If I had to train for 45lb in the mountains, but lived low, I would try something like putting on a 55lb pack, and do my long runs at max pace only permitting myself to breath through my nose, or something else to restrict airflow.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So, whats a good training pace?
</div></div>
Good is relative. With 55lb 12m30s miles is pretty doable over an 8Mi course at this altitude in boots and hiking gear. I am translating those figures from a 13km 1h45 finish with 25Kg weight, so I may have screwed up at some point. In any case, I don't think they are something to brag about, just something that most can attain with some work.

Why are you hiking sand BTW? Cant you just take the bag?

Thanks for all of the tips. I put many of them to sue, did not get to do a lot of hills (life gets in the way) but I will be ready.

I leave Tuesday for ThunderRanch. My experience is that I am the third most fit guy there. (Instructor Randy DeHay, age 30 and retired SF is #1). Usually there is a "super fit" dude, me (fit) and everybody else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ajwcotton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also train with more weight than you will be carrying I think that is really how to get the edge when rucking.
hope this helps
Adam</div></div>

Very true. I was a LRS team RTO carrying ungodly weight in my ruck, but when I went to the "hooah schools" I felt like I was wearing a fanny pack while most others struggled with their rucks. I remember coming in 3rd on the Air Assault 12 mile final without even trying. If you're used to wearing 65, 45 feels like nothing.