• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Photos Transport Case

veezer

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
Hazard, Kentucky
I have been looking for a way to transport 3 rifles on our elk hunt this fall and was either looking at spending a boat load on Pelican cases or building my own. The case is 48" long, 18" wide and 14" tall (no more than 2 large pelicans stacked on top of each other). It is made of 1/2" plywood and some other scrap 3/4" wood I had laying around. I lined it with cheap carpet that I picked up at Lowes and lined the areas that contact the rifles with some suede I had from another gun case I built. For the wheels, I used casters that I welded so they wouldn't spin. I ended up spending about $75. I still need to figure out a way to strap down the guns so they dont rattle around. I made sure to make the smaller boxes inside large enough to hold a 50 rnd ammo box and bipod and is also big enough to hold a range finder in its case. It may not be airline approved, but it's going to be riding in the back of a truck, so that doesn't matter.

Re: Transport Case

Nicely done, suggest getting some rubber weather stripping for the lid, that'll keep dust and some indirect water out of it.

Strategically place some high density foam or egg crate in there and they won't rattle around.

If you do 'strap over' the barrels, make sure you do it at a supported point. Not where there is clearance between the barrel and the barrel-channel. That way you don't overstress the stock, at the receiver.

Not saying you would,,,, but some have.

I thought about some small bungee cords that would strap over the barrel under the scope just in front of the receiver. Maybe screw in some eye hooks into the bottom on each side of each gun?

Looks good! A suggestion if I may, a strap or bungie is going to leave its signature in the finish of your rifle after a couple of thousand miles in back of a peek-up. I'm thinking the creative use of foam is a better solution. In most places I know elk season coincides with cold weather. Moisture issues turn to ice issues, so sealing your box is fair important.

Yeah, I was thinking bungies might leave marks on the barrels. I think I will try to find some foam to place between the guns and top lid to better secrure them.

It will be under a toppper, but will have to keep an eye on the moisture issue.

super glue works for me on cutting out the rattle.
Just kidding. You are well on your way to having a great gun case for a little money spent.Don't forget to have a way to chain or bolt it to the inside of your truck bed.