• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRASOL

Last I checked, it had not been updated for YEARS. And, the reviews were terrible - lots of crashes and incompatibilities with phones.

1572703876522.png

I've got Strelok Pro, Ballistics ARC, and Hornady 4DOF.

By FAR, Strelok Pro wins for me. Easy to use and feature-rich. Also, Strelok is CONSTANTLY being improved and updated. The developer is super-responsive to user requests or for troubleshooting.

I found Ballistics ARC and 4DOF very cumbersome to use.

I never got Trasol because of the reports about crashes and that they haven't updated the app in years.

1572703851015.png

Lots of complaints of crashes. A sample of many...

1572703973718.png

It's too bad, because the concept is good!

Last edited:
Great point!

Admittedly, Strelok Pro's interface isn't as "pretty" or "fancy" as some of the others. But, it WORKS and it's EASY to use. It does what it's supposed to do. And, I submit that the responsiveness of the developer to suggestions / improvements / and bugs is unprecedented in the "app world." There's a great Strelok user's group on Facebook where Igor Borisov (developer) participates. He also responds to emails. I've had several interactions with him, which were very positive / productive.

I started a thread here on SH about new features that come up periodically in Strelok: Another new feature in Strelok Pro!

Trasol has been a solid performer for me, out to a mile. I may just be lucky but the crashing issue never really affected me (IOS version) until just before the new release - probably crashed for a couple of weeks. Its probably the easiest interface to use IMO, just enter the info and let the app do its thing. As with any app it does have its little tricks and tweaks. To your question about truing, the app does not do it for you, you have to make adjustments manually.

I've got multiple apps and you can make any of them work with enough effort. Hornady had been excellent and then they had an error with a recent update which I believe is resolved now. Applied Ballistics works well, I'm just not a fan of having to purchase a CDM for every bullet you may shoot. BallisticArc is good and interfaces with different weather meters, Strelok seems to work for many - the interface is not my favorite so I've not taken it to distance (but it seems to work), BulletFlight is older but still works as well as any, and on and on.

There are so many options out there today, I would say find the one that works the best for you and get to know it. Personally Trasol and Hornady 4DOF are my go to apps and work well to 1200-1400 before even needing to tweak.

When they came out with Trasol 2.0 for Mac ios, I bought a new iPod touch to run it. The old version always ran ok for me on an earlier iPod touch, the 2.0 version is even better. I used to run Hornady 4DOF for Hornady bullets, and Trasol for everything else. This past summer I mostly used Trasol for everything. 4 rifles, 3 calibers out to 1200 yds. Really easy to use, really accurate dope. I’ve got a Trimble Nomad running FFS, but the Trasol on an iPod is smaller and easier to carry.

Reactions: Geno C.
TRASOL has worked really well for me out to 2500. I have multiple rifles loaded into it and it has been great. I have new shooters upload the free version and they can run it with ease. Very user friendly for me. I’ve never had it crash yet

When they came out with Trasol 2.0 for Mac ios, I bought a new iPod touch to run it. The old version always ran ok for me on an earlier iPod touch, the 2.0 version is even better. I used to run Hornady 4DOF for Hornady bullets, and Trasol for everything else. This past summer I mostly used Trasol for everything. 4 rifles, 3 calibers out to 1200 yds. Really easy to use, really accurate dope. I’ve got a Trimble Nomad running FFS, but the Trasol on an iPod is smaller and easier to carry.

Yeah... it appears they have abandoned Android support for it. iOS users don't seem to have a problem.

If they ever decide to update / fix the Android version, I'll gladly pony up the $10 to try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgecrusher
Was also wandering how many people were using TRASOL. I have had nothing but good experiences with it while using it at least twice a week for over 2 years now. I have it on my iPhone 10 that is my personal device and also on an iPhone 5s that is my dedicated range bag phone that has nothing on it except load data and ballistic software. The iPhone 5 has been out for long periods of time in many conditions and even has gotten extremely hot, and have never had a problem out of TRASOL crashing or slowing down at all.

If you have any iOS device, I feel it is the best to use but that is just an opinion. More than likely, support for Android was dropped due to the fact that making things run smoothly on the android OS is a nightmare. My friends company has also made this decision recently with a couple apps they own because they have such a hard time getting things to run stable on the OS, so it isn't financially worth having a team constantly trying to fix it just for one OS when one fix leads to another problem.

As someone who has never needed to veer away from TRASOL, how does Strelok and other systems stack up? I feel like there are only so many factors one needs to account for before it boils down to just needing to get out there and shoot and get the experience with your weapon system and whatever load you're shooting.

Was also wandering how many people were using TRASOL. I have had nothing but good experiences with it while using it at least twice a week for over 2 years now. I have it on my iPhone 10 that is my personal device and also on an iPhone 5s that is my dedicated range bag phone that has nothing on it except load data and ballistic software. The iPhone 5 has been out for long periods of time in many conditions and even has gotten extremely hot, and have never had a problem out of TRASOL crashing or slowing down at all.

If you have any iOS device, I feel it is the best to use but that is just an opinion. More than likely, support for Android was dropped due to the fact that making things run smoothly on the android OS is a nightmare. My friends company has also made this decision recently with a couple apps they own because they have such a hard time getting things to run stable on the OS, so it isn't financially worth having a team constantly trying to fix it just for one OS when one fix leads to another problem.

As someone who has never needed to veer away from TRASOL, how does Strelok and other systems stack up? I feel like there are only so many factors one needs to account for before it boils down to just needing to get out there and shoot and get the experience with your weapon system and whatever load you're shooting.

Trasol is your best option in the iPhone. Its not working like the other 3DOF solvers (AB, Strelok, Shooter, Ballistic, etc.). I've been pretty successful comparing Trasol and Hornady 4DOF (using Hornady bullets). All the other will work so its not an issue of function but more of preference. They all work pretty well out to about 1000-1200 yards and then the differences start to appear. There are ways around it like buying the CDMs from AB but the Trasol just works and does so with minimal drama.

If you were to compare against a different device the Kestrel Elite with AB is a no brainer and my understanding is that it comes with the CDMs so now you have a great device that isn't dependent on signal to give you that data.

Most has been said already. When I tested it 4 years ago, all in all it was a good app -- simple, clean and straightforward.
Here's a longread on what Trasol actually does: https://guns.ptosis.ch/trasol-review
Can't say anything about the new versions, since under recent Androids the app is a total big fail.

TL;DR -- Although it does not use the "G" reference curves, with the right BC value practical accuracy competes with G7 3DOF.
Drawbacks: "one size fits all" model, does not understand custom curves (e.g. Doppler-measured). Unless shooting Lapua into and beyond transsonic, this is a non-issue.
Advantages: profile tweaking is done right. The interface is clean and straightforward, and it shits me not.

This said, the choice of it over, say, Strelok (or any other good 3DOF solver for that matter) is largely a question of personal preferences of the interface.

I used TRASOL at the last elr shoot in Kansas. At the 3010 target, I was off about 1moa. That most likely was a little misread wind. Using g1 bc for a badlands 350gr 375cal of .945

Reactions: LastShot300
Yup. Still the only ballistic app I use. Been going strong for 4 years now across several differnt calibers. As long as I input all the data correctly the solutions have been dead on

Reactions: LastShot300