• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Traveling with a fire arm

PhOnEpHrEaK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2006
Salem, Ohio
I'll be flying soon with a firearm. I'm fairly sure I understand the rules. But, what I was wondering what kind of locks do you use?

Re: Traveling with a fire arm

The times I have traveled, have used either a case that allows for a padlock attachment or a case that has a dial combination built in. Once you have done your thing at the check in counter, you lock it up, and off you go. You hold onto the key, if using a padlock. Never had an issue yet, and have flown on Delta, Southwest, and American.

Doesn't matter,

I use TSA locks, and just the cheap ass wire combination ones because I have been called back from my gate. Depending on where they check the firearm through the scanner they usually set the explosive alarm so they open them. If you are not there, they call you back, so TSA locks make it easier.

Here in Denver they check with you standing there to start so it's not an issue, still they will open it and having the TSA locks makes it easier.

Been flying with TSA locks for more than a few years, no issue... never a word spoken about it. As I said too, I just use the cheap ass wire combination locks, not much bigger than what people use for regular luggage.

In fact it makes it easier, and I have flown to just about all the major states in the last several years... CA, TX, NY, CT, AZ, NV, FLA, etc. 200,000 plus air miles with them.

I think it was in AZ on SWA I was called back which prompted my move to TSA locks and I have never been called back since.

I've never flown where they DIDN'T run my case through the scanner with me waiting at the other end to lock it as soon as it came out. According to the airline employees, your case will not be reinspected once they have scanned and tagged it and you have locked it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bouvie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never flown where they DIDN'T run my case through the scanner with me waiting at the other end to lock it as soon as it came out. According to the airline employees, your case will not be reinspected once they have scanned and tagged it and you have locked it.</div></div>

Sacramento did this past trip, case went without me, to TSA.

Depends on the airport. I think it was Phoenix that did too, but 100% on Sacramento as I just went through there last month. The counter told me to wait 10 minutes, but with the TSA locks didn't have too.

What they do at the counter is nothing, they don't even look at it, just give you the tag.

I went somewhere recently, forget where, they left the case at TSA without the airline rep there. TSA had to call back for a pickup which was after I left.

I fly a lot and always with a firearm, it is different every airport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been flying with TSA locks for more than a few years, no issue... never a word spoken about it. As I said too, I just use the cheap ass wire combination locks, not much bigger than what people use for regular luggage.

In fact it makes it easier, and I have flown to just about all the major states in the last several years... CA, TX, NY, CT, AZ, NV, FLA, etc. 200,000 plus air miles with them.

I think it was in AZ on SWA I was called back which prompted my move to TSA locks and I have never been called back since. </div></div>

TSA won't complain about being given access to your firearm, but "TSA locks" are against Federal Regulations. I doubt you'll ever have an issue using one a TSA lock, though.

Interestingly, TSA recently modified the wording on their website to make this issue more vague by removing the phrase "...by anyone other than you.":

"The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from <span style="text-decoration: line-through">access by anyone other than you</span> being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft." http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

And as per 49 CFR § 1540.111:

"(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

<span style="font-weight: bold">(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.</span>

(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary."

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...node=49:9.1.3.5.9&idno=49#49:9.1.3.5.9.2.10.6

Why does the TSA room where the scan rifles at DIA have the inspectors carry keys for TSA locks.... ?

They happily unlock it with their locks to open and inspect it.

I think you are reading too much into it. I don't think they consider themselves in that statement as anyone else. They mean other civilians and not them.

They also state in the regs they will cut a case open with bolt cutters. Then impound the rifle with local law because you can't lock it back up.

And on their page it reads different,

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

Attention all passengers traveling with firearms. Please note the following:

Travelers may only transport UNLOADED firearms in a locked, hard-sided container in or as checked baggage. All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames and receivers, are prohibited in carry-on baggage.

Firearm possession laws vary by state and locality. Travelers should familiarize themselves with state and local firearm laws for each point of travel prior to departure.

Airlines may have additional requirements for traveling with firearms and ammunition. Travelers should also contact the airline regarding firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Also, please note that other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If international travel is planned, check the regulations of the destination country to ensure compliance with their requirements.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR § 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.

Failure to adhere to the following regulations will preclude passengers from traveling with firearms, ammunitions or firearm parts:

Travelers must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.
If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, TSA will provide the bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed.
TSA must resolve all alarms of checked luggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.
TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.
These regulations are strictly enforced. Violations can result in state and local criminal prosecution, as well as civil penalties of up to $2,000 per violation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does the TSA room where the scan rifles at DIA have the inspectors carry keys for TSA locks.... ?

They happily unlock it with their locks to open and inspect it.

I think you are reading too much into it. I don't think they consider themselves in that statement as anyone else. They mean other civilians and not them.

They also state in the regs they will cut a case open with bolt cutters. Then impound the rifle with local law because you can't lock it back up. </div></div>

I see what you're saying about the TSA quote, but Federal law is pretty clear: "...only the passenger retains the key or combination." Like I said, I doubt you'll ever have an issue using those locks. The only reason I know this is because I remember reading a very long debate about this very issue on another forum. Also, per TSA regulations, they should only cut the lock if the firearm was NOT declared. But of course, if they decide to cut the lock anyways, you're SOL. I definitely see the logic behind TSA locks, just wanted to expand on why the poster above thought TSA locks weren't allowed.

"TSA must resolve all alarms of checked luggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.

If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm."

I quoted TSA's site in the latest version nothing like what you have is there, there is nothing about retaining keys.

Not a single word, so something has changed.

And it does say if they can't reach you, they will cut it, not just with undeclared firearms, they attempt to reach you via the airline, if you miss the announcement it's cut and not loaded on the aircraft.

I started using TSA locks after going through security and being called back. Plus as of last month Sacramento did not have you go with your rifle. They sent it without you and they aren't the only ones to do that. This was October.

On their main page:

"e-CFR Data is current as of November 29, 2012"

However, maybe a letter to TSA asking for confirmation would be a good idea. I'll whip up a quick email later and see what they have to say.

You can, but clearly 99% of the people looking to check will check the TSA site and they don't mention it. It's not gray at all, it's not there...

And like I said, I easily have over 200,000 miles flying with TSA locks and its been smooth since. At least 2 years with them, possibly 3 years now as time flies.

Ask them, I bet they don't consider themselves in the rule which is why it's not on their site.

Main Problem I find when flying with firearms is this:
Make ABSOLUTELY certain that when you use your back pack as the carry on, all 300Wm, 308, 7wsm or any Creedmore variant loose round or any mag is not loose in a pocket, compartment or liner of said bag. THEY GET PI$$ED. I am not forced to guess on this.

Very true, Lowlight. I'd bet good money that the vast majority of TSA employees aren't even aware of that law. Like I mentioned, I'm not against using TSA approved locks (in fact, I think they prevent a lot of unnecessary hassle) and hope my posts didn't come across as confrontational. I've sent TSA an email, and will update this thread when/if I get a response.

In the mean time, here's some good info about flying with guns:
http://8541tactical.com/flyingfirearms.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Main Problem I find when flying with firearms is this:
Make ABSOLUTELY certain that when you use your back pack as the carry on, all 300Wm, 308, 7wsm or any Creedmore variant loose round or any mag is not loose in a pocket, compartment or liner of said bag. THEY GET PI$$ED. I am not forced to guess on this.</div></div>

This sounds could be an interesting story. Care to elaborate?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Main Problem I find when flying with firearms is this:
Make ABSOLUTELY certain that when you use your back pack as the carry on, all 300Wm, 308, 7wsm or any Creedmore variant loose round or any mag is not loose in a pocket, compartment or liner of said bag. THEY GET PI$$ED. I am not forced to guess on this.</div></div>

This sounds could be an interesting story. Care to elaborate?
wink.gif
</div></div>

I will say you can get the FULL attention of the TSA Mgt for a while....AND....Yes I have been a repeat offender!

I fear the updated no fly list!

I will say on the 300wm incident,they did give me back a screw in tree step, to board with, but kept the round.
.... But... Its a Big E-Stock Phantom pack.

Can't say if flying domestic with a firearm differs from flying international as I only have flown internationally with firearms post-911. I can say a few years back that I asked during my Global Entry background and interview the CBP, ICE, TSA and Homeland officers about locks and was told universally that the only locks I should be using are non-TSA locks and that the keys should be retained by me at all times. To date I have about 300k miles flown internationally over the past 4 years and have not had any issues with using heavy Master padlocks going out through Dulles.

Airline personnel tag the case, send me to the special TSA hand screening area where I am asked to open the case for their inspection. Once they're happy it gets a inspection slip dropped inside, locked up again, stickered and away it goes on their special conveyor.

Can't say, obviously, if this is universal but it has made that part of the process for me at least relatively painless - if flying in and out of Dulles can ever be considered painless that is.

Apples and Oranges, international flights are a completely different animal especially with a firearm...

And I use a combination lock, the idea someone else has the key is null. TSA does, but they are not just anyone. I dont even have a key, my guess they arent meant to be controlled. So the idea my TSA combination lock is unsafe, sort of flies in the face of the whole process they are promoting.