• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Traveling with Long Guns

elmuzzlebreak

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2018
Hide,

Quick question when traveling with a precision rifle. Do you leave the scope on or take it off and take it in a carry on?

I leave them on. The only zero shift I've had/have I attribute to atmospherics.
I will totally admit, this being my first time I am paranoid with something lost or damaged. I will be using one of the beefy cabbalas armor extreme cases but just cannot help but worry.

The 100 zero is used primarily to ensure all are come-ups and to be nearly impervious to DA issues.

Wow thanks for telling me about zeros and how to use them.

That said, if you travel from 10 degrees C @ 500 DA to 45 degrees C @ 5500 DA you will have a zero shift from the last point you zero'd your setup.

Show us much please

Well unfortunately I don't have any photo evidence. I guess you and all there other people on the wide world of the internet will just have to take my word for it...or just ask someone else who has flown from North America to the Middle East. A lot.

Yep this is what I am wondering if it's worth doing. Don't want both the gun AND the optic getting lost.

I've travelled a lot with my long guns in locked (2x TSA approved combo locks) Pelican cases and I've never had anything stolen or go missing. Hope this works for you. Sorry for the highjack on a completely unrelated topic.

Reactions: elmuzzlebreak
Well unfortunately I don't have any photo evidence. I guess you and all there other people on the wide world of the internet will just have to take my word for it...or just ask someone else who has flown from North America to the Middle East. A lot.

So let’s forget DA because it really is for pilots with better tools than we use..

Let use real stuff Absolute or Station Pressure and temp.. hell, I’ll even toss in humidity -

I’ll use 29 station pressure and lower 0 C, with low humidity for the base Zero.. -710’ DA (again converting back to DA is silly) once you have the true measurements. This is a real location at a match I shot, but is useful as actually has lower DA than you sighted

Then use a match in summer 80F up in Colorado at 25inHg with 60%.. +7626DA - even higher than your example.

Run the numbers it is far less than .1mil, more like .01 for a 100 yard zero. A 300 yard or 500 yard, is a different issue. If you don’t know who to account for an absolute zero condition vrs another location, I’d be glad to show you.

If you are seeing the offset, it is you, not external ballistics.

But you should be careful not to give out incorrect info. And then be an ass about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: supercorndogs
I've travelled a lot with my long guns in locked (2x TSA approved combo locks) Pelican cases and I've never had anything stolen or go missing. Hope this works for you. Sorry for the highjack on a completely unrelated topic.
Eh it happens. All good.

I do appreciate the help!

rifle and scope stays together, easier to find of miss, easier for airport security to look over.

my scope generally comes off....mainly so i can fit it into a slimmer case.

if you buy decent mounts, your zero wont shift of anything overly significant.

Reactions: elmuzzlebreak