• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes TReMoR 2 Reticle Specifications

Re: TReMoR 2 Reticle Specifications

Nothing about you wiz, Horus just doesn't enjoy the best reputation for CS. This I can attest to first hand as well.

That is the old one, the new one is designated DTR.

Hey man, I just call it like i see, and know it. Just because a guy is included in a DVD and they claim something doesn't necessarily make it fact, a good salesman gets overlooked, a good salesman, instructing you on their product so you'll buy it, suddenly becomes the greatest thing on earth. I often wonder how anyone got a shot on target until the advent of all this new technology. Or is it...

Whatever floats your boat man, I am sure you'll be more than happy so run with it. Besides, who the hell am I, just dude with a website.

So don't sweat my small stuff and do your thing.

Thats fascinating. Im very interested in this reticle is the bushnell hdmr the only scope its available in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aaronb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats fascinating. Im very interested in this reticle is the bushnell hdmr the only scope its available in?</div></div>

Good question, but I don't know what other scopes offer it. :\ I thought that one of the new Leupold Mark 6 scopes that I saw at SHOT show may have had it, but it could've just been a different Horus reticle.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the freedom to choose whichever gear suits their skill level, preference, and budget. I'm not here to sell the T2 reticle, just share what I've learned about it.

I'm not a former military or LEO sharpshooter, champion long range shooter, or even seasoned long range shooter. I am a software engineer by trade, and a firearm enthusiast. I get to the range as often as I can to enjoy my hobby, which sadly, is not as often as I would like. I don't believe that there is any replacement for practice and training when it comes to any profession, including but certainly not limited to long range shooting. I welcome new technology that I personally find may help me to make more hits on my targets, because it makes my limited range time that much more enjoyable.

Seasoned long-range shooters, and current/former professional shooters are likely to find the T2 and similar reticles "too busy", "unnecessary", and/or "too complicated". For them, they most likely are, because those individuals have hours upon hours behind their rifles and thousands of rounds logged. I wish I had that opportunity and experience, but until I do, I will continue to feel free to use whichever technology I choose.

This is America, welcome!

Now, let's get back on topic, shall we?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyfishguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, there is a section on the DVD where Todd clearly explains his reticle. It's so simple, it's genius. He's eliminated having to use wind formulas. All you need is accurate wind speeds. And he says it works with all calibers. Value for each wind dot is, .223 = 3 mph wind, .308 = 4 mph, .300 WM = 5 mph, 6.5mm = 6 mph, .338 LM = 8 mph wind. So for a 12 mph wind with a .308, you would 3 dots (12/4=3). He also states it's accurate to 8,000 ft.. Above that elevation, the value of each dot increases by 1 mph. Simple.</div></div>

It helps to double check the wind dot calculator to find the values for your rifle/ammo/environment. For my 20" .308 rifle, 175gr SMK load, and environment, the wind dot value was closer to 3.2mph per dot. YMMV

I like the technology in my car too, the salesman was awesome, even set up my iPhone to the car, in the showroom. it was great, I have 28 computers in my vehicle that help me do everything I need to get from point A to point Bee, and it will even hold the brake down during rush hour traffic without having to touch the pedal. I was driving today and twice the girl came on to warn me of traffic, the stereo volume turns up the faster I go and the whole roof is glass with a Roman screen to give me shade. I often wonder how I ever made it from point A to B before getting this... don't even get me started on my iPhone.

Then again for some ignorance is bliss.

enjoy your conversation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, at this point, I've got questions I'm not even sure how to ask
laugh.gif
I expect that'll improve when I hit the range with it, soon as it warms a bit.

yes, there is a section on the T2 reticle. I've only given it a once over, so I'll be back to it.</div></div>

No problem! Take some time to practice with it at the range and see how it works for you. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions about the millings and I'll do my best to share info.

I should have a TRemOR2 inbound. Once I get a chance to play with it a bit, I will report back.

I like reticles with hold points, but I think the Horus reticles take it a little too far.

Dang Frank... let these guys discuss a reticle without you trying to talk them out of it... It is another tool in the tool box, some people use a 4 way tire iron to take the lugs off (mil-dot) which works fine... no one says it doesnt. Other people who want to pay a little extra can choose to take the tires off with an impact wrench, in this case the Horus.. Both tools work, but there have been some advancements... just like in your space car..

Frank,
All drama aside,

Can you share why zeroing, or dialing in 5 mils so our zero is at the top duplex is a bad way of setting up the gun.

When I heard that, I actually thought it was a good idea. This way the whole reticle was left open for doing all holds, and if you have your dopes memorized, IMO it can be a very fast shooting system since one doesn't have to look at the turret to dial anything.

I also compare it to how we ran Chaos at RO when doing the 400y Hold over/Hold Under drill.
With the way Todd described it, there's no need to remember when to hold high or when to hold low.
One disadvantage to Todd's method is possible having to zoom out the reticle to be able to see some of the lower marks at the higher mil values.

Can you share your considerations as to why it might or might not be a good idea to do this his way. Whether looking to place shots fast, no math, simple etc...etc...

Thanks

Rick in keeping with the recommendation that I allow others to explore various tools for the toolbox, I would say to try it for yourself.

See how intuitive it can be, in fact I recommend zeroing at the top of P3 reticle and then shooting a competition that way. It would be a good practical exercise.

Adjusting the scope to a possible area of operation, as in knowing a target may appear at 400 yards, so calling that zero, then knowing your holds above and below is not the same as stacking mounts to give yourself 40MOA of cant then having to zero high.

But I highly recommend everyone who feels it is worth consideration try it and then report back how effective they felt it was. Again, shooting a match and placing would be a great example. Although, I'm pretty sure the results in the video weren't impressive enough for me to recommend it, but I will agree, it's a tool so there can be nothing better than the practical application of a method to recognize any personal pros and cons.

If you like it, use it.

Frank, I tried that, I had a zero stop that wasn't working with the 20MOA rail on the rifle. SOoooo had a comp to shoot, new rifle that I wanted to use, got it doped out with a 400 yard zero. After all, most of the shots ( I thought ) would be out past 400.

Yeah... guess what, about half the shots were 200 and under, big wind, and positional, tough positions and time at that. It was a Gen 2 reticle(S&B 5-25), so yeah, holding in air, but the wrong ( not used to ..) direction. And most of the targets were 1 MOA or less. Predictable results, less than stellar, both myself and the rifle shoot better, but not that day. Too much thinking required under too much stress.

Having said all that, I do like the H stuff for a lot of things. I hate some of them for some things. I picked up a CHEAP S&B 4x16, with an H37 in it. Hate it, the reticle is right where I want to watch trace, and zoomed to 16, it's way up at the top of the picture. That reticle is gonna get replaced, love the scope, hate the picture.

Got an H58 and H27 that I think are pretty good. But Horus customer service sucks.

I think Tubbs's reticle is pretty cool, and seems intuitive. That for me, is kinda important, not having to over think, under time/stress. Haven't made up my own mind yet about the Tremor2......

Seems for whatever reasons, there are lotta strong feelin's for these type reticles.

Mike the results you saw are very predictable, and just demonstrates how something like suggesting it, when you have the horsepower of the guy in the DVD can really hurt people in the long run. Suggesting fringe "work arounds" where, yes, if you dial on 600 yards to your scope and your turret gets cut off, then you can get away with using this zero point until you can replace it. <span style="font-style: italic">(FYI I saw a student shear his windage knob off a S&B that continued to work without the windage knob. In fact he didn't see it and after the drill i handed him the knob I picked up) </span>

There was a training opportunity in the dvd at this point. The first would have been to explain the fact that you weren't gonna get a zero with a 40MOA cant, the second could have been a field expedient method to compensate. This is where the scope drill similar to the scope swap monkey drill would have worked better. Show how if you have a damaged scope in the field, you can use what you have and demonstrate the method to compensate to include if you had an MOA turret. A good instructor not promoting a singular product like the horus or the stomp would have seen this and then fixed the problem by removing the stomp. Instead of making it appear, the combination used was worth the cool guy factor.

Bottom line, it's common sense, and common sense approaches tend to do better than something for the sake of shameless promotion.

For Rick,

Our eyes are drawn to the center of the reticle, we like the fine intersection. Also, in terms of scope quality the center of the reticle is the "sweet spot" where in lesser quality scopes you risk distortion around the edges. Thirdly, picture the reduced FOV, you're taking an already closed system and cutting it down to a 1/3rd. In the same context, think of spotting your impacts at distance, where is it easier to see, where do you tend to see it. Overly that thinking of trying to spot your own impact with a compromised FOV and you run into a problem novice handgun shooter see, where they move the sights trying to see the hit on target. They lower the pistol so not to block the target and thus trend low. If you are holding at the edges, you'll soon realize the view downrange is greatly reduced, so you'll want to bring the scope back to center. We like the middle of things, and fine aiming points.

In the context of precision, consider that competition shooters "zero" for range to minimize the amount of deviation from center. They dial windage, they have sight inserts to give them a solid sight picture because this breeds consistency and accuracy. Will it work in a pinch, minute of full value numb nuts, yes, it will, but I would also suggest as soon as you got back you fix or replace it. Doing it on purpose, is silly. Quartering a target is always the most desirable sight picture, you can even slice and intersect with windage, but without a whole lot of practice holding around the edges, I will guarantee a limited amount of success.

In a word, Rick, you moved the sights to 400 yards because the mover was the highest value target, it also allowed you stay closer to the center of the reticle while engaging multiple targets at multiple distances. So you focused on your highest priority the mover, and then worked field. Staying closer to the center also made it easier for a new shooter not used to the technique to reference the windage easier. So it gave multiple lessons in a single drill, but at the end of the day you were able to return the scope to "0".

I will also note for ELR I tend to dial my scope, because 1. I have time and opportunity to fine tune the adjustment. At 2000m the threat to the shooter is reduced, so taking the time to dope and dial helps with precision. If it requires me to follow up because I missed, I am hopefully closer to the center of the reticle increasing my ability to see the impact and only requiring a small adjustment for a second shot follow up. I get the maximum benefit from using my high dollar optic. I am not limiting my options by potentially hitting too low to see, or requiring me to dial off my magnification to loose fine details. Can I do it, sure if I tailor the target along with a beneficial downrange landscape, but for maximum effectiveness where I don't control the variables, the best chance for an ELR hit is by staying in the center of my optic with my windage and elevation dialed. In higher wind conditions too dialing some windage also helps me stay in the center.

There is the "WHY" to all this, none of which has anything to do about looking cool or promoting any product, and everything about maximizing the precision. Holds in that fashion are about speed and efficiency inside the shooters danger space, after you go beyond a point of danger to the shooter, it's always more desirable to set up the shot correctly. Which is why Rick the drill you did only went to 600 yards and not out to 800" which we have done and you can do, but significantly reduces your effectiveness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rick in keeping with the recommendation that I allow others to explore various tools for the toolbox, I would say to try it for yourself.

See how intuitive it can be, in fact I recommend zeroing at the top of P3 reticle and then shooting a competition that way. It would be a good practical exercise.

Adjusting the scope to a possible area of operation, as in knowing a target may appear at 400 yards, so calling that zero, then knowing your holds above and below is not the same as stacking mounts to give yourself 40MOA of cant then having to zero high.

But I highly recommend everyone who feels it is worth consideration try it and then report back how effective they felt it was. Again, shooting a match and placing would be a great example. Although, I'm pretty sure the results in the video weren't impressive enough for me to recommend it, but I will agree, it's a tool so there can be nothing better than the practical application of a method to recognize any personal pros and cons.

If you like it, use it. </div></div>

hey Frank, thanks for the reply.
See that's what I was looking for, considerations I just don't have the experience with and don't think about. It all makes sense and something to really consider and think about.
Thanks bud.

Stacking the reticle sounded ok in theory to me, and to be honest I've been planning on trying it out to see how it fairs, but I think you're at the end of the day each guy should try any new technique regardless of where they hear it and see if it fits in their toolbox.

When I get around to doing it I'll make sure I post back to share my findings.

Again, thanks

R.

I have no dog in this fight whatsoever, but I appreciate how this thread has turned into a more serious and very informative discussion. Thanks for your posts Frank.

I am obviously new to the "Hide" but I do have 2 cents. I just received HDMR Tremor2 after studying everything I found here. I read everything available on the net, watched LoneWolfUSMC vid and ordered and studied Art of Precision Rifle. I guess I bought in hook line and sinker.

Results: 700P LTR .223 good for head shot i.e. 8" inch steel 591 yards .75 inch off center with 4mil hold first shot. Hand loads: Hornady 68bthp, Lapua brass, and Varget.

Im a complete newb at this distance. I emailed Todd Hodnett for some clarification on the wind holds and he promptly replied with an instruction manual that he is currently writing. I realize this thread died two months ago but if anyone is interested contact me I'll send it to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike the results you saw are very predictable, and just demonstrates how something like suggesting it, when you have the horsepower of the guy in the DVD can really hurt people in the long run. Suggesting fringe "work arounds" where, yes, if you dial on 600 yards to your scope and your turret gets cut off, then you can get away with using this zero point until you can replace it. <span style="font-style: italic">(FYI I saw a student shear his windage knob off a S&B that continued to work without the windage knob. In fact he didn't see it and after the drill i handed him the knob I picked up) </span>

There was a training opportunity in the dvd at this point. The first would have been to explain the fact that you weren't gonna get a zero with a 40MOA cant, the second could have been a field expedient method to compensate. This is where the scope drill similar to the scope swap monkey drill would have worked better. Show how if you have a damaged scope in the field, you can use what you have and demonstrate the method to compensate to include if you had an MOA turret. A good instructor not promoting a singular product like the horus or the stomp would have seen this and then fixed the problem by removing the stomp. Instead of making it appear, the combination used was worth the cool guy factor.

Bottom line, it's common sense, and common sense approaches tend to do better than something for the sake of shameless promotion.

For Rick,

Our eyes are drawn to the center of the reticle, we like the fine intersection. Also, in terms of scope quality the center of the reticle is the "sweet spot" where in lesser quality scopes you risk distortion around the edges. Thirdly, picture the reduced FOV, you're taking an already closed system and cutting it down to a 1/3rd. In the same context, think of spotting your impacts at distance, where is it easier to see, where do you tend to see it. Overly that thinking of trying to spot your own impact with a compromised FOV and you run into a problem novice handgun shooter see, where they move the sights trying to see the hit on target. They lower the pistol so not to block the target and thus trend low. If you are holding at the edges, you'll soon realize the view downrange is greatly reduced, so you'll want to bring the scope back to center. We like the middle of things, and fine aiming points.

In the context of precision, consider that competition shooters "zero" for range to minimize the amount of deviation from center. They dial windage, they have sight inserts to give them a solid sight picture because this breeds consistency and accuracy. Will it work in a pinch, minute of full value numb nuts, yes, it will, but I would also suggest as soon as you got back you fix or replace it. Doing it on purpose, is silly. Quartering a target is always the most desirable sight picture, you can even slice and intersect with windage, but without a whole lot of practice holding around the edges, I will guarantee a limited amount of success.

In a word, Rick, you moved the sights to 400 yards because the mover was the highest value target, it also allowed you stay closer to the center of the reticle while engaging multiple targets at multiple distances. So you focused on your highest priority the mover, and then worked field. Staying closer to the center also made it easier for a new shooter not used to the technique to reference the windage easier. So it gave multiple lessons in a single drill, but at the end of the day you were able to return the scope to "0".

I will also note for ELR I tend to dial my scope, because 1. I have time and opportunity to fine tune the adjustment. At 2000m the threat to the shooter is reduced, so taking the time to dope and dial helps with precision. If it requires me to follow up because I missed, I am hopefully closer to the center of the reticle increasing my ability to see the impact and only requiring a small adjustment for a second shot follow up. I get the maximum benefit from using my high dollar optic. I am not limiting my options by potentially hitting too low to see, or requiring me to dial off my magnification to loose fine details. Can I do it, sure if I tailor the target along with a beneficial downrange landscape, but for maximum effectiveness where I don't control the variables, the best chance for an ELR hit is by staying in the center of my optic with my windage and elevation dialed. In higher wind conditions too dialing some windage also helps me stay in the center.

There is the "WHY" to all this, none of which has anything to do about looking cool or promoting any product, and everything about maximizing the precision. Holds in that fashion are about speed and efficiency inside the shooters danger space, after you go beyond a point of danger to the shooter, it's always more desirable to set up the shot correctly. Which is why Rick the drill you did only went to 600 yards and not out to 800" which we have done and you can do, but significantly reduces your effectiveness. </div></div>

Thanks for info.

I have no dog in this fight, but this has got me thinking.

My John Deere riding mower came with a user's manual.
My gas grill came with a user's manual.
My Mazda came with a user's manual.
My Vortex Viper PST/Leupold/Nikon/etc all came with a user's manual.
And so forth.

Is there some justifiable or logical reason why they felt it was not necessary to create instructional literature to accompany these reticles? Seems to me that if you are going to create a reticle that requires learning a proprietary methodology, you should probably have a way for people to learn this stuff. The user should not have to do the equivalent of a college research paper in order to figure out how the damn thing works.

F it, I am putting my cents in and it's more than two.
I know multiple (more than I can count on my digits) friends AND peers in different SOF units, using the tremor2(h58,59,and tremor). shit they helped develop them. hint hint I'll give you one guess who it was.
wink.gif

These reticles were developed to help quickly range HUMAN sized targets at given distances to aid in a rapid first round kill. I'm NOT saying you can't use them for matches and plinking, but they were primarily designed for military use. Once you fully learn how to use them they are WICKED fast for said purpose.
If you have one learn it, KNOW it, you might as well use it to its full potential.
I just think this post got wayyyyy off the tracks, and I'd like to put somewhat of a positive input in here. The reticle works just like any other reticle, you get out of it what you put into it. And if you haven't or don't want to put in the time to learn it, then I don't think you should bash it.

I tried a Gen 2 XR a couple years ago, and I spent more time counting dots to ensure I had the right hold ... AFter double/triple checking I could have dialed the elevation and sent a round. After a few attempts to like the reticle I ended up going back to the GAP reticle. I dial elevation and hold wind about 90% of the time. With the Horus reticles I have yet to take the plunge and try one. This Tremor after a lot of reading (this thread) and studying the subtension sheet, I can see where it would work for someone who has the abilty to spend a LOT of time with it. The big hangup I see is that its pretty chaotic. The holds aren't lined up and that would cause me to recount and check the hold even more. I know that once you learn it and trust it, get comfy with it, put it in practical application and it works, your then confident in it. I understand why its setup the way it is. I can see the H## being user friendly but wow ... the more I look at this reticle ... the more I talk myself out of it.

Great thread though ... tons of solid info.

Anybody knows where to get instruction regarding TREMOR use?
Thanks

I've been asked in PMs about how I feel about the reticle since I've used it. And who I know is using it. Remember this before you read. I'm going to use an example to get my point across. Rifles, Scopes, reticles, sand bags, etc... are like women. We all have our personal tastes and use what we are either accustomed to, can afford, or what we are proficient at. As for who I know is using it, why does that matter. Just because guy A is using it and you want to be like him, while that's in style? Use what you like and train at being great at it. I know guys using Bushnell elites and SS scopes and kick the crap out of mister AX w/ a S&B. The gear is not an equalizer, the range time is. Yes gear helps, but it isn't going to automatically make you the next David Tubb, Sgt Waldron, or Carlos Hathcock etc...
Now on to the reticle.
LIKES- For what it is, it is very informative and well thought out as far as information to the user. It has lead holds, wind holds, elevation holds, and if studied and practiced is very useful for engaging targets quickly and accurately when using hold offs. As for hold offs at extended ranges, I hold off a lot and believe all should be proficienct at it, but past a certain range I always prefer to dial for my elevation. )Don't ask my opinion on what range because every shooter is different and you have to find what you are comfortable with and train to get better.) For the wealth of information that is available to the user by using the Tremor reticle, I like it. But again you must train and put the work in, in order to maximize the most out of the tool (as with all your gear.) I personally like hearing Todd speak on shooting. He has a wealth of knowledge since he has been shooting for so long, and has trained many shooters I know. What others have against them is their business and I have no quarrel with anybody. In my opinion this is a far better reticle than any of the Horus reticles to date. I expect as Todd and others continue to use this reticle, we shall see it evolve with lessons learned as with all things in shooting.

My dislikes, I am not a fan of what appears to my eye as a "cluttered" FOV. For all the information it has in it, I just am accustomed to a clean FOV. Like many here, I have been lucky enough to use many reticles. Classic Army mils, USMC mils, Horus, NH-1s, P4s, P4Fs, GAPs, etc but for me and my eye and what I like. I think the Gen 2 XR is hard to beat. I know my winds and my leads, but it took time and devotion. With time and training anybody can become proficient.

I've been using the Tremor 2 on a Bushnell HDMR for several months now and have a couple of hundred rounds of experience with it up to 600 yds. I haven't been able to exercise it for moving targets yet but take every opportunity to practice with wind of various speeds and directions. I agree that the selection of a reticle is a very subjective matter, and only familiarization and practice can change an initial opinion. For me the reticle has completely eliminated dialing in scope dope. I suspect that when I start extending beyond my 600 yds there will probably come a point where I will prefer to dial in the scope; but, for what I've been using it for, hold offs are rapid and accurate. At first the reticle was busy and somewhat intimidating, but the more I used it the more intuitive it became. In wind speeds from 3 to 30 mph and ranges from 300 to 600 yds I am now holding 27 for 27 first shot hits on 6" to 18" targets. I use a Kestrel with the Horus ATrag software to figure my hold offs.