• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes TReMoR2 vs h59 on HDMR

jl_sniper

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with the new TReMoR2 reticle? I'm looking at the Horus HDMR (heard fairly good things about it). I was looking for a comparison between both the TReMoR2 and the h59. Anyone have any opinions?

Re: TReMoR2 vs h59 on HDMR

Damn, I was hoping someone out there might have used both and could give some comparisons. I'm kicking around the idea of a "christmas tree" of some kind whether it be a Gen2XR or a Ga2 or one of these two.

Looking at the drawing of the TReMor2 I see how it ranges to .1 mil, and by thinking through how to use it I get the idea that the TReMor2 might be more versatile than the H59 (unless you are shooting 12" steel in a comp) and easier to read than the .1 hashes in the G2, but that is just guessing.

I really would like to compare them or here from someone who has.

Tremor 2 has a few issues if you are going away from the set up it was designed for. If you like to dial on extra mills at distance to stay near the center of your reticle on longer distances, the specked holds on the vertical scale will be off.
Running 308 with 118lr type loads in something like a OBR-GAP 10 type rifles, it is kick butt, but remember, when you start dialing on elevation, the hold formulas and windages built into the scope goes out the window.

Personally I like the 59 as a more versatile reticle

I guess I dont know the setup on the T2. It looks like a variation o the typical Horus tree. What speckeld holds?

I've read the about the system for the H59, Is there one for the T2, is it described somewhere?

I'd be putting it on a 308 bolt gun

Jon,

How is dialing on the elevation going to mess up using a regular mil hold? I was interested in buying a scope with this reticle but wanted to be able to dial on the elevation like you talked about and still us my mil holds if needed. Do you have first hand account with the reticle being off?

Thanks,
Josh

That Tremor reticle can fall off a cliff and die!!! Isn't it an acronym for "The Refined Mil-dot, blah, blah, blah". Bullshit, you have to think way to much!! I dont want to have to look at a reticle and think if I am at .2 or .5 or .8 mils. If the only reticles I had available were the Tremor or a standard Army Mil-Dot....I would pick the Army Mil-Dot, as it is the same all the way. I dont like having to think about where I am at. I use the H58 and love it, I know that each tick mark is .2 mils, and the dot in the middle is .5 mils. My spotter or myself cant even screw that up.

Not to step in on sniper, but I am pretty sure what he is referring to is how the Tremor reticle looks like a 3d drawing looking down a road, wider to narrower. This being the case, if you dial 5 mils up in elevation, so that your elevation hold is at the center horizontal stadia, your wind holds are way to small. As much as this thing is not being marketed as a "ballistic" reticle, it is.

The T2 is most definitely not for everyone. It has its advantages as well as some unique disadvantages (IMO). I'm not a Horus kool-aid drinker nor a hater. My intent here just to share info.

First off, the dots are "time of flight" dots and not caliber specific (in theory). In my experience with it so far, the T2 has worked well on 5.56, .308, and .300wm. Depending on what you're shooting, each row of dots represents a wind value (mph) at that elevation hold. For instance, if my caliber/load/rifle combo gives me a 4mph wind dot value the first dot out from the vertical stadia line equals a 4mph wind hold at that elevation, the second dot would equal 8mph, the third dot 12mph, and so on. If you want to see what your load/rifle combo would be, I believe Horus has a tremor 2 calculator on their site.

As stated above, if you add elevation to keep your holds out of the bottom of the glass, the wind dot value will change. If you must mix it up - dialing and holding - the best thing to do is add either 5 or 10 mils. If you dial 5 mils your wind dots are now halved (the 4mph dot becomes 2mph) if you add 10 mils your dots are now quartered (4 mph becomes 1 mph). I'm not advocating the above method for doing business - just putting the info out there.

IMO the system is pretty fast for practical shooting once you get the hang of it. It would be a great DM reticle. On the flip side, the TOF dots add some interesting issues with dialogue if you are running in a shooter/spotter team.

Hope this helps.

-John

Anybody know where I can get a manual explaining how to use the T2?

I have one and I'd like to use it as it's supposed to be used...

FWIW, there is a segment on the MagPul precision rifle series in which Todd H explains the reticle. In my two contacts with Horus over the past couple months requesting ETA of a manual, I get back an email saying that "it's still 'in the works'" and then I get referred to their .pdf on the H58, or, as Seekers just posted, the reticle and wind demo. On one of the HDMR threads a Hide member posted up a .pdf of the Tremor-2 illustrating the reticle markings' values.

HTH, tony

H59 all the way for me. To be honest, I never thought I would like a Horus reticle, until I had the chance to shoot behind one. Its really about personal preference, but I like the Horus grid, especially on my OBR. It makes a killer set up for quick second shots when needed.

I'm getting the H59 on my HDMR. I also like the floating center dot on it.

Thanks

Been wondering what the TREMOR looks like

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seekers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reticle and wind demo:

http://www.horusvision.com/hdmr.php

Also H58 owners manual, all at bottom of page.

Just ran across this thread, hope this helps.

Seekers </div></div>

I have a copy of the manual that Todd emailed to me if your still interested. Let me know I will send it to you.

Seems like a lot of haters on this site.

Not really haters, just a 4 mph wind is not the same hold for all chamberings, but .2 mills will always be .2 mils even if i dialed on my elevation hold. 338 or 22-250 mills will always be mills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying hard to work with the Tremor2, but right now I would suggest you skip it. The GAP2 would be my choice in the HDMR. </div></div>

I second this notion. I thought I would be in love with the H59, but not the case.

Absolutely just a different way to get to the same place.

Look for the Wind Formula on the DVD if you have it.