• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-22

1kHIT

I have a chance to purchase a friend's TRG-22. It has the muzzle brake, bi-pod, optilock mount and 30mm rings (med), 2 10-round mags, and the rifle is in black. He has exactly 417 rounds down the barrel - all FGMM 168's. I got the rifle today, and in all honesty, it is a WAY bigger rifle than the pics on this forum make these rifles seem. I'm not saying I don't like it, but it's not anything like my Remington 700.

I guess my question is: is this really worth the $3000 my friend is wanting for his rig? My current rifle shoots an honest 3/4 MOA set-up, and I'd never really thought about getting a rifle set up that may or may not do more than that. What are the other benefits of owning the TRG, and in other's opinions (who actually own an TRG), are they worth the additional cost over a Remington 700? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Jason G.

Re: TRG-22

Take it to the range and put some rounds down the pipe. Only you can decide whether or not it's worth it to YOU.

That being said, $3k might be a tad steep. I thing a trg-22 on here just went for $2k minus some of those accessories.

The two biggest things in general that the TRG-22 has over the 700 action is the ergonomics and the trigger, plus for such a large rifle, they are pretty light for their size.

Where I really see a difference is out beyond 700-yards, that's where the TRG-22 shows its stuff.

$3,000. might be a couple hundred dollars too high. I can tell you from my own experience that I had a lot of factory rifles and a custom one in .308 and the TRG was head and shoulders above the rest.
Like was said, take it to the range, and shoot it, it should shoot clover leaf groups at the minimum.
If you could get it for $2600. cash I would say you did good. (I just re-read your post and you said it had a bipod, so I guess I would factor in another $300. for a great deal.)
Enjoy,
SScott

new TRG-22 = $2698
+ muzzle break $200
+ extra 10-round magazine $175
+ bipod $450
+ optilock mount $99
+ rings ?type
$3622 without rings

From new that more than a 17% discount for 417 rounds, with a 308 and TRG chrome lined barrel, that barrel has a very long life left. Assuming a barrel life of 8 to 10k, 17% loss would be more than 1300 rounds.

So, at least from my estimates...very cheap no, fair and good price, yes.

I love my TRG and do believe it was worth the money. Especially when you consider how well they hold their value.

In the end, when resale value is factored in, they don't really end up costing any more than a semi custom Rem 700. Maybe even a bit less.

new that more than a 17% discount for 417 rounds, with a 308 and TRG <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-style: italic">chrome lined barrel</span></span>, that barrel has a very long life left. Assuming a barrel life of 8 to 10k, 17% loss would be more than 1300 rounds.

I think I would check that against "Hammer Forged" on the TRG barrels.

I heard tell the Finnish FORGES are chrome lined!
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm fairly certain that IF I shoot it, I'll probably want to keep it.
laugh.gif
That being said, I'll put a scope on it and hopefully head out to the range this weekend, sometime. I did not know the barrels were chrome lined - that means a LOT for me. We'll see. Jason G.

I also thought the barrels were chrome lined, looking at the rings around the muzzle and chamber. but they are not, as I checked mine with cold blue, and the rings took the bluing.

The rings are caused by the plugs they use to keep the blue/phosphate out of the bore when they finish the gun.

Oil the bore before storage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard tell the Finnish FORGES are chrome lined!
smile.gif
</div></div>

And we all know everything on the internet is true!

No, TRG barrels were never chrome lined. being a 308 it will still last you quite a long time. Try to get him to 2800. If not, 3000 is still a fair price for everything that is included.

Josh

I was also surprised how substantial the TRG is in person. The thing feels SOLID. The bipod and trigger are awesome, the stock is very easy to get comfortable behind, and the overall quality of the system is excellent. To build a Rem 700 as nice would probably take just as much if not more money.

The TRG seems expensive until you start comparing it to other similar rifles.

Here is a video of mine in action. Sorry if you have already seen it.

http://vimeo.com/24227428

Nice video! Yes, the rifle does certainly feel solid. I'm looking forward to shooting it this weekend. Thanks for sharing the video, the vapor trail on your shots was pretty cool to watch!

Coming from my built Rem 700 my new TRG is amazing. My only regret is that I didn't buy a TRG earlier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only regret is that I didn't buy a TRG earlier. </div></div>

This was one of my first reactions to shooting mine. All those aftermarket stocks, barrels, and money only to find a better platform all around and for way less than I paid for all the rest.

Josh

This was one of my first reactions to shooting mine. All those aftermarket stocks, barrels, and money only to find a better platform all around and for way less than I paid for all the rest.

Josh [/quote]

When you put it that way, the decision almost makes itself!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only regret is that I didn't buy a TRG earlier. </div></div>

Josh </div></div>

Yep, <span style="font-weight: bold">THIS</span>.

I don't know why it took my so long to consider the TRG line, but I LOVE my 42. Just a nice high end rifle that performs with no tinkering... for less than most full customs. No brainer.

I agree with what everyone says, should of bought one sooner. It is the rifle that has made me stop trading b/c I just dont like anything else.

I agree, fair price at $3,000. Ask him if he'll take any off and give you the "buddy price", but if he won't thats still a pretty good deal for everything included.

Anyone would be hard-pressed to build a more accurate rifle than the TRG off the shelf. As someone above said, $3K is fair. Not dirt cheap, but you can negotiate.

It is large. It is somewhat heavy (the Offhand/sitting/kneeling drills are a bear).

Accuracy-wise, these things are hard to believe. Just look at some of the groups in the TRG pictures thread. And if you handload... you can really dial one in.

Worth the extra? I think so. Most of us who own/shoot them think so. And if you get one, I bet you will think so. And if you decide it's not for you, you can always unload it at that price and not get hurt in the wallet.

So go for it!!! You won't be disappointed.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">new that more than a 17% discount for 417 rounds, with a 308 and TRG <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-style: italic">chrome lined barrel</span></span>, that barrel has a very long life left. Assuming a barrel life of 8 to 10k, 17% loss would be more than 1300 rounds.

I think I would check that against "Hammer Forged" on the TRG barrels. </div></div>

I always thought they were chrome lined, but if I'm wrong, I apologize...no misinformation intended.

i would just pay the extra and get one with the green or tan stock.

the black model gun weighs less due to the stock. it is a lighter weight version.

given that even the heavier duty green and tan stocks can break, it would be worth paying a little more for one rather then get the lighter duty black stock.

one thing that always intrigues me about the trg is the preference for the parkerized version.

on most precision rigs, a parkerized gun finish is cheaper and most opt for the durakote or cerakote finish.

things are opposite with the trg. the parkerized version is more expensive and the "matte" finish, which im assuming is their version of durakote, is the cheaper finish.

anyway, i have the parkerized finish and if i do a custom 700 build, ill prob do it parkerized too.

it may not be as durable, may rust easier, and require more care, but damn a well oiled parked gun looks like no other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">matte=blued </div></div>

really? ive never seen one of the matte versions in person. i was thinking it was some sort of epoxy-type coating.

thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyena74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would just pay the extra and get one with the green or tan stock.

the black model gun weighs less due to the stock. it is a lighter weight version.

given that even the heavier duty green and tan stocks can break, it would be worth paying a little more for one rather then get the lighter duty black stock. </div></div>

Not sure this is true anymore. Supposedly was at one time, but word is they're now the same, except for color. Here's another thread here debating it:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=358441

I decided to take the majority of the poster's advice on here, and I purchased the rifle from him. As soon as my work schedule allows, I'm going to take it out and see how it does. Like a lot of people here said, $3k wasn't too out of line, and I'm certain that after shooting it, if I don't like it, I could probably get at least my money back out of it, if nothing else. The more I handle it and dry-fire the rifle (yes, I use a Snap-cap), the more this gun is growing on me. I'll hopefully have a range report soon. Thanks again for all the replies. Jason G.

1KHIT:

This is why people love TRG 22's...

These were shot this evening, checking the grouping of two lots of factory ammo... getting ready for Gastonia. Temp about 85, moderate mirage, high humidity. No wind, dead calm. Low sun and some haze. Almost ideal conditions for test.

These are 5 shot groups at 100. Off Bipod and sock-bag. No machine rest. Rifle is a stock TRG-22 folder. There's a picture in the TRG Pix thread.

target2.jpg

These are BH Match 168 Hollow Point. Aiming circle is 1 inch. Aiming point was center of circle. Not shooting for center, shooting for group to test ammo.

target1.jpg

BH 168 AMAX. Aiming point was the 8. Again, shooting for group. Round in the picture is handload for scale, not the AMAX.

These groups are about 1/3 inch, maybe a hair less. Both groups BH factory. My handloads don't generally do any better than that. Pretty good ad for Black Hills, too....

Cheers,

Sirhr

nice shooting sirhr.

just over at ar15 and someone was saying the tikka recoil lug was aluminum and they start to round off after a few rounds and its best to upgrade to a steel recoil lug.

i know the trg chassis is aluminum and i can see a silver colored recoil lug pressed into it. is this piece also aluminum?

if so, i was thinking about just having it swapped out for a steel one when a get a little work done next.

Hyena:

The guy to ask on that is userid Massoud on this forum. He'es done some amazing chassis work for the TRG.

Though I've had the rifle stripped several times, I've never paid attention as to whether the recoil lug is aluminum or steel. The chassis is aluminum. The blocks between the stock and the chassis are aluminum. But not sure about the recoil lug.

Personally, I wouldn't second guess the brilliant engineers from Riihimäki who came up with the TRG.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Pierce, thanks for the kind words and that's some great shooting. I'll be sending an email your way soon.

The recoil lug in for the Tikka is aluminum and it will peen after a certain number of rounds, depending on caliber. Of course our Whiskey-3 Chassis uses a hardened steel lug. The TRG also uses a steel recoil lug, but I'm unsure if it is hardened.

Some have been concerned about the Tikka recoil lug because it is small, but the TRG-42 uses basically the same lug setup (again it is steel set into an aluminum "chassis") and it does just fine for 338Lapua. The problem with the Tikka lug is not that it is small; the problem is it being made of aluminum.

Justin

Will,
That's a good idea. We make a steel one but of course it's made to fit the W3 chassis. I'll monkey around with one of the T3 plastic stocks to see if that aluminum one could be pulled and swapped out.
Justin