• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG appreciation thread - Part III

I just got the TRG-42 in .300WM and don't have much history on it. I am guessing it is a 1:11 barrel. I know 1:10 is another option but I don't know if that was an option in a pre-2013 model which is what this appears to be. I am ordering spacers from Terje and I would like to put a different optic on it down the road. The current optic on it is an old USO SN3 T-PAL made when they were in CA. It is solid but BIG and HEAVY, I think it could double as a Louisville Slugger in a pinch. It is a solid optic, but just a bit large and doesn't afford me any rail space from NV.
Two solid "thermoses" on that 300WM! 👍

Reactions: stefan73
Just got my bartlien barrel back from the smith. She shoots damn good! Pre 13 trigger is as good as it gets
0C599736-F44F-4D59-9A9A-9A3EEBC98375.jpeg
42252465-4A12-4DDA-8BDE-ABCF25EBD911.jpeg

Does Sako offer a Left Handed TRG chambered in 6.5 prc, 7 prc, or 6.5 CM? thanks

The pre 13 rifles had fully adjustable triggers, meaning there were no limits on the adjustments and some people were adjusting them so lightly they would not re-set after they were fired. This reportedly required sending back to Beretta for repair, however I have owned 3-4 of them and adjusted them all fairly light without issue. The post 13 rifles had a limiting screw for the weight adjustment so they could not go as light, a different safety lever, and a different butt pad. I have owned 2 post 13 versions as well and I much prefer the pre 13, and currently am in the market for a 20” 308…
To pile on.
Sako didn't use any locking agent on the trigger adjustment screws in the pre-13 that I am tracking(at least not on mine). So, after a lot of shooting your 2 stage trigger adjustment screw would walk everso slightly causing you to loose the first stage and the second stage would be like trying to squeeze a brick. When set, as Jbell mentioned they are absolutely awesome triggers. From the factory I measured my trigger at 2lbs but it felt a lot lighter because of how clean it was. Adjusting the two stage trigger took a little bit of finesse and patience to get right. I think some of the people that had trigger issues also didn't pay attention to proper assembly procedures, tried adjusting them without the proper knowledge or had the issue that I had with the 1st stage walking. As I said before, once set they are really nice triggers!!

Reactions: jbell
To be less blunt, I think that you can get the Sako S20 in 6.5PRC and 6.5CM in a south paw configuration. But its not really comparable to a TRG.
I think someone put a TRG trigger on a Tikka. That might be an option, I am not sure where I saw that, how they did it and if they were successful?

To be less blunt, I think that you can get the Sako S20 in 6.5PRC and 6.5CM in a south paw configuration. But its not really comparable to a TRG.
Thanks, but the s20 doesn't interest me.

Reactions: VargmatII
I just got the TRG-42 in .300WM and don't have much history on it. I am guessing it is a 1:11 barrel. I know 1:10 is another option but I don't know if that was an option in a pre-2013 model which is what this appears to be. I am ordering spacers from Terje and I would like to put a different optic on it down the road. The current optic on it is an old USO SN3 T-PAL made when they were in CA. It is solid but BIG and HEAVY, I think it could double as a Louisville Slugger in a pinch. It is a solid optic, but just a bit large and doesn't afford me any rail space from NV.
T-pal and a trg... cats meow in 2005

has a pre -42 338lm, im prob the one person who never liked the stock

had it rebarreled by patriot arms/APA, put a broughton 1-9.4 I think

gave it to my brother, shoots lights out

T-pal and a trg... cats meow in 2005

has a pre -42 338lm, im prob the one person who never liked the stock

had it rebarreled by patriot arms/APA, put a broughton 1-9.4 I think

gave it to my brother, shoots lights out
I picked up that T-PAL a few years before USO changed ownership and moved out of CA, they were the "uber hotness" back then. With a little stock tweaking thanks to Terje, I really love the feel of the stock. A quick adjustment and I can get my eye lined up really nicely with the optic. I honestly would like to stick a ZCO on the TRG-42 .300WM. I just sent another email to Euro Optic about the MMRS for the front of the TRG. Then I need to send a toy off to J to get the tube hot rodded and I'll be off to the races.

so guys with the krg folder stock ? You guys think it’s worth the damn 900 bucks these days ? Haha

so guys with the krg folder stock ? You guys think it’s worth the damn 900 bucks these days ? Haha
I read someone recently say the buttplate wiggles (like it does on the $2K+ Sako folder FFS!) and I guess now is as good a time to ask the collective TRG-shooting public if that’s their experience.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
I read someone recently say the buttplate wiggles (like it does on the $2K+ Sako folder FFS!) and I guess now is as good a time to ask the collective TRG-shooting public if that’s their experience.
Yeah I’m curious. Don’t want to make the pudge and feel like it’s a waste. A shorter package for In and out of my backpack would be nice.

I think someone put a TRG trigger on a Tikka. That might be an option, I am not sure where I saw that, how they did it and if they were successful?
Yes it works without any issues. I have a faux TRG in .223 using a Tikka T3 Tac A1 barreled action. Uses a KRG back bone. TRG trigger and stock.

Attachments

• 0DAD7485-F4D9-463F-AD06-1CD2C3C80BBD.jpeg
    0DAD7485-F4D9-463F-AD06-1CD2C3C80BBD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96

Yes. And the wiggle annoys me at times, but makes no real difference.

Would buy a again.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Where did you get your 300WM?

I picked up that T-PAL a few years before USO changed ownership and moved out of CA, they were the "uber hotness" back then. With a little stock tweaking thanks to Terje, I really love the feel of the stock. A quick adjustment and I can get my eye lined up really nicely with the optic. I honestly would like to stick a ZCO on the TRG-42 .300WM. I just sent another email to Euro Optic about the MMRS for the front of the TRG. Then I need to send a toy off to J to get the tube hot rodded and I'll be off to the races.
I recently tracked down and bought a Sako NV rail for my TRG. Man it was a PITA to install but it does look good. Only issue is it’s pretty tall so my scope setup is pretty offset.

Who did all the work? The stock is amazing.
Thank you! I did the wood work/chassis work, Benchmark did the barrel.

There is aluminum running through the buttstock, had to split it lengthwise and mill it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 67558326737__07741C85-9789-413E-87ED-C7008DA979FE.jpeg
    67558326737__07741C85-9789-413E-87ED-C7008DA979FE.jpeg
    626.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3879.jpeg
    IMG_3879.jpeg
    669.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 103
I am looking for a TRG 42 in 300wm in excellent condition. Does anyone have one available for sale? I am not looking for the aluminum A1 version.

EJ

Hi,

I bought a used trg42fs in 300wm a few years ago without any history or shot count.

So far it still shoots great, but i would like to get an idea how old it is.

Is there any chance to find out the approx. Production year?

I only know that it seems to be the first version of the folding stock.

Thx for your help.

Attachments

• 20190722_205332.jpg
    20190722_205332.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20190722_205344.jpg
    20190722_205344.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20190722_205357.jpg
    20190722_205357.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 83
Hi,

I bought a used trg42fs in 300wm a few years ago without any history or shot count.

So far it still shoots great, but i would like to get an idea how old it is.

Is there any chance to find out the approx. Production year?

I only know that it seems to be the first version of the folding stock.

Thx for your help.
Old trigger and first folder would place it 2008-2013, if the were bought at the same time.

Even with a serial it would be hard to find the info since Beretta can't help and Sako probably won't.

Try mailing Sako directly. Don't hold your breath waiting though...

Reactions: sporter123
Thx for the info.

On the bolthandle is an engraving with the last 3 digits of the serial.

It looks somehow "handwritten".

Is that a factory engraving?

Thx.

Attachments

• InShot_20230807_102129191.jpg
    InShot_20230807_102129191.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 48
Yes it works without any issues. I have a faux TRG in .223 using a Tikka T3 Tac A1 barreled action. Uses a KRG back bone. TRG trigger and stock.
Is this backwards compatible ? As in T3 trigger in a trg-42. My brother has one with a pooched trigger and three different calls to Beretta usa has resulted in three different stories ranging from we'll sell you the updated trigger, to you've got to send it in, to we no longer support that model.

I think my brother is fine with it standing in a corner collecting dust as a collector piece but I want to shoot it!

Thx for the info.

Thx.
Yes.

Another clue as to year of mfg, if you manage to find out when they started using machine/laser
Thx for the info.

Thx.
Yes. I don't know when (or if) they changed that to machine engraving.

Is this backwards compatible ? As in T3 trigger in a trg-42. My brother has one with a pooched trigger and three different calls to Beretta usa has resulted in three different stories ranging from we'll sell you the updated trigger, to you've got to send it in, to we no longer support that model.

I think my brother is fine with it standing in a corner collecting dust as a collector piece but I want to shoot it!
Yes. Any Tikka (and some older Sako) trigger will do. It has to be drilled and pinned into the trigger guard though (2 mm pin IIRC. Please do not use a larger imperial equivalent drill bit).

There is a TRG trigger reset thread on here somewhere. So if the original trigger isn't damaged you might want to try that?

Yes.

Another clue as to year of mfg, if you manage to find out when they started using machine/laser

Yes. I don't know when (or if) they changed that to machine engraving.

Yes. Any Tikka (and some older Sako) trigger will do. It has to be drilled and pinned into the trigger guard though (2 mm pin IIRC. Please do not use a larger imperial equivalent drill bit).

There is a TRG trigger reset thread on here somewhere. So if the original trigger isn't damaged you might want to try that?
I'll have to dig that thread up again. I sent that thread to my brother and he says he tried it but I need to get it from him and try it myself. Thanks for the info on compatability.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
Has anyone ever managed to add an AI formed bolt handle to a TRG? It is screwed in so i assume that shouldnt be too complicated or am i missing something?

Best regards

Daniel

Has anyone ever managed to add an AI formed bolt handle to a TRG? It is screwed in so i assume that shouldnt be too complicated or am i missing something?

Best regards

Daniel
The thread on the TRG bolt handle is M6. I don't know what the AI uses (but a search indicates that it is the same).

Other than that, it is all a matter of clearance.

Try and report.

Good luck!

Reactions: XP1K and DKN83
Very nice !!!
How do you like that Zeiss LRP S3 glass?
What do you have it chambered in, factory 308 or something else?

This is my first true precision rifle, my only other rifle that might qualify is my old Remington 700P with Leupold Mark 4 16X that I bought when I turned 18. So I don't have a lot of reference when it comes to good glass. With that said I'm very happy with the LRP S3, it's extremely bright, clear, and the reticle is intuitive. It's a factory .308 20".

The other additions are an Atlas bipod (the adapter came installed on the rifle) and rings from Seekins. The base is whatever base the LE agency had installed, it seemed solid and no reason to remove it. Rings are from Seekins. I'm thinking about swapping out the rear portion of the stock for the KRG folder for more adjustability - I have only shot it once (yesterday) and although I shot reasonably well I would like more adjustability.

I also have a TB Ultra 9 CB on order, I think it'll pair up well with this rifle.

Reactions: WallaWalla6mmCM
View attachment 8277325

My new to me TRG-22. It was an LE trade-in. Still in great shape. Added the Zeiss LRP S3 6-36
The 20” 308 is my favorite! I have been looking for a pre 2013 factory 20” for a long time, good snag! Not to tell you your business but I think you could move that scope base back to where it belongs on the action and your rings would be a little more centered up on your scope. But maybe not with that particular base…

The 20” 308 is my favorite! I have been looking for a pre 2013 factory 20” for a long time, good snag! Not to tell you your business but I think you could move that scope base back to where it belongs on the action and your rings would be a little more centered up on your scope. But maybe not with that particular base…
I’m sure it could be in a better spot… but when I mounted it I was just trying to find a spot where I could get a consistent weld while comfortably being in the eyebox. Are there any specific disadvantages to how it’s mounted now? If not I’ll probably hold off until I have a reason to take it all apart again.

I’m sure it could be in a better spot… but when I mounted it I was just trying to find a spot where I could get a consistent weld while comfortably being in the eyebox. Are there any specific disadvantages to how it’s mounted now? If not I’ll probably hold off until I have a reason to take it all apart again.
Looks to me to be a Sako picatinny which is short to leave a space for back up iron sights.

No real disadvantage unless there is unsupported rail in front of the action (again hard to tell from the pic), and I am not sure if the spacing of the screws and mortise & tenons are spaced so you could move the rail fore and aft. It has been a few years since I had a TRG. I certainly don’t mean to butt in…
Looks to me to be a Sako picatinny which is short to leave a space for back up iron sights.
Yep, you are probably correct. I forgot about the factory rails as I always used Near bases on mine.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion