• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG22 switch barrel?

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
I have been using the search engine and could not find the thread about the AIAW and TRG platforms being made into switch barrel rigs. I know I can get an action wrench for the TRG from KRG industries, but what I was wandering is if you can switch barrels on the TRG without go and no go gauges like you can on the AIAW platform once the barrel is set by the gunsmith? I would like to make a switch barrel rig using my TRG22 platform and be able to switch barrels with just a barrel vise and wrench. Does anyone use the Sako platform as a switch barrel rifle? Thank you for any input.

Re: TRG22 switch barrel?

The way the TRG headspaces is different from an AI. With an AI, a gunsmith just has to chamber the barrel so a go-gauge protrudes a certain distance from the face of the barrel. At least this is how I remember it.

The TRG headspaces off of the shoulder of the barrel, a smith has to control both the distance from the shoulder to the barrel face, and also the distance the go gauge protrudes from the barrel face. Due to manufacturing variations, this makes it so you can't just buy ready to go TRG barrels.

All this aside, this just means that you have to send in your TRG action to have a barrel fitted. After that you can swap barrels at will really, checking the headspace each time of course.

Justin

StanwoodSpartan and Hellbender, Do you use a go gauge everytime you change calibers, or are you able to swap out barrels once it is chambered and fitted by the gunsmith?

I put an index mark on the receiver and barrel and you just put them back to the same place when tightened up.

It´s not rocket science you know, just get a good gun smith to make you some tools and show you how to do it and you are good to go.
IMG_0821.jpg

I have switched from my .308w to my 6.5x47 a lot of time, never using any go-gauge with ZERO problems.
IMG_0827.jpg

Shoot like a dream every time, but I`m thinking of selling the TRG...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Shoot like a dream every time, but I`m thinking of selling the TRG... </div></div>
Why are you thinking about selling it?

Thank you for the feedback. It looks like once the barrel is chambered and fitted by a gunsmith, the barrels should be able to swap out without other gauges, just an action wrench and barrel vise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Shoot like a dream every time, but I`m thinking of selling the TRG... </div></div>
Why are you thinking about selling it? </div></div>

Cause I don´t like the reloading part, going for something with good factory ammo at a good price(6.5x55)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ..... going for something with good factory ammo at a good price(6.5x55) </div></div>

Which factory 6.5x55 are you considering? I am also always in search for them. Midway just discontinued 50-rd packs of Norma Diamond Line here in the States, a real shame for 6.5x55 fans. I bought their last 10 packs on discount and they should arrive tomorrow!