• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG22 vs. R5 Milspec

Rolltide

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2003
East Tennessee
www.rimfiretactical.com
I've always been pleased with the accuracy of my Remington, but I just saw a TRG22 in a local shop. I target shoot and hunt quite a bit, although I use my lightweight rifles for hunting.

I know the reputation of the TRG, but am curious if it is worth the additional expense over my Remington. The Sako is NIB and in a perfect world, I would just add it to the collection. Unfortunately, circumstances would dictate that I move something out of my collection and the Remington is the only option.

For those of you who have a TRG, or have had one in the past, do you feel like it is money well spent versus just keeping the Remington for the limited amount that I shoot? For the price of the Sako, I could even have a custom built.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Chris

Re: TRG22 vs. R5 Milspec

I dont know why, but a TRG has been on my "will own" list since I first saw one. Ill probably jump through the hoops and import one to Aus, as they are selling for silly prices over here ($5000-$6000 for a plain jane TRG22).

Yes, the 5R is a Chevy the TRG a BMW sure both can get you from point A to B, but one of the two is a much better ride.

There is a big difference, your 5R is a starter rifle. The TRG is much better.

Great rifle, but that's a steep price for someone for "the limited amount you shoot". Only you can decide depending on your desires and your wallet!!! You won't be disappointed, but not much more bang for your buck.

If you can afford it you will not regret it. Own a TRG42 and have shot a TRG22 in 308 owned by a buddy at the range. Both are just inherently accurate and easy to shoot. My recommendation would be to make sure you get to handle the TRG and see that it is comfortable for you as, too me at least, it is an entirely different animal to the Rem700 in terms of feel. If all things check out and you can get what you want for your 5R I don't think you'd regret it.

I own both, I was going to write a pros and con of each rifle, but the TRG is way better than the 5R, action is slicker than any custom, the trigger is better than any custom. Etc.

My 5R shoots great and I love it and I payed $850 for it. It now has a KRG folding chassis, timely trigger, threaded barrel. So the price is up to a TRG

I bought the TRG for competitions, if you don't shoot that much I would stick to a 5R

BUT...If I had to start from scratch I wish I bought the TRG first. I would have spen far less money ( would not have bought the 5R and all the up grades)

The TRG 22 in 308 that I own is worth every penny it cost me. How ever since you have a 5R (excellent rifle) and money is tight I would stick with the 5R until your financial conditions warrant spending the money to get a TRG.

No contest, TRG hands down. I've had both but be prepared to pay out the ass for the accessories, and you can hunt with it too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 5R shoots great and I love it and I payed $850 for it. It now has a KRG folding chassis, timely trigger, threaded barrel. So the price is up to a TRG

I bought the TRG for competitions, if you don't shoot that much I would stick to a 5R

BUT...If I had to start from scratch I wish I bought the TRG first. I would have spen far less money ( would not have bought the 5R and all the up grades) </div></div>

My experience is similar. I was looking for a .308 to get into the bolt world again with and decided I wanted many of those same features for a Remington: trigger, stock, DBM, base, bedding, etc. I added the prices up and found I could pick up a TRG22 for a similar price, which is what I ended up doing.

The TRG is as close to a custom built bolt gun without the wait time that you can get. The stock is fully adjustable, has a great trigger, smooth action, 60 degree bolt throw w/ oversize knob, 1:10" twist (.308), 10 round RELIABLE magazines, plenty of bipod & sling mounting options, threaded barrel, ready to install aftermarket accessories (nv rail mount, muzzle brake, etc.), side bolt release, and SUB-MOA accurate out of the box!!!

You can build a 700 up to be a very nice rifle, but I bet a well built 700 will cost as much or more than a TRG 22. I have a rifle built on a surgeon action and a TRG22, the Surgeon is nice but I have more invested into it than my TRG 22, and the TRG shoots about the same. In fact if I ever build a .338LM or .300WM I will probably just pick up a TRG 42 because I don't have to wait for a build and I know I am getting a quality rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Katahdin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can build a 700 up to be a very nice rifle, but I bet a well built 700 will cost as much or more than a TRG 22. </div></div>

Until you factor in the cost of an extra magazine for the TRG- it's about the same price as a SPS!
laugh.gif

The TRG was my starter precision rifle. I love it more that ever. It eats all sorts of ammo and runs like a raped ape on FGMM 175s. Yes accessories are expensive but they are very high quality.

Like many have said a worked over 700 with your choice of stock, barrel and barrel work, trigger, and accessories adds up quickly.

I'm a two stage trigger fan and the TRG has one of the best.

TRG-22 here in 260 Rem. I had an opportunity to handle a 22 & 42 at an NRA convention and decided I had to have it. A year later in hindsight it was money very well spent. If they still imported them in 300wm I'd be all over it. I have had several stock Remington's 700's & a 660 over the years and they all performed well for me, but the Sako is altogether at another level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolltide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always been pleased with the accuracy of my Remington, but I just saw a TRG22 in a local shop. I target shoot and hunt quite a bit, although I use my lightweight rifles for hunting.

I know the reputation of the TRG, but am curious if it is worth the additional expense over my Remington. The Sako is NIB and in a perfect world, I would just add it to the collection. Unfortunately, circumstances would dictate that I move something out of my collection and the Remington is the only option.

For those of you who have a TRG, or have had one in the past, do you feel like it is money well spent versus just keeping the Remington for the limited amount that I shoot? For the price of the Sako, I could even have a custom built.

Chris </div></div>

Chris,

I think we pretty much all agree that the TRG-22 is an impressive shooting and handling factory rifle. Truth be told I don't think they get any better out of the box from any other factory. A friend of mine has a TRG-22 with a PH 5-25x56 scope and I've shot it bit and it shoots very well. But at the going rate of a new TRG-22 they should shoot as well as most of the entry level customs out there which they do but is no TacOps rifle which granted is a bit more money.

That said if you are a reasonably skilled hand loader the differences between the TRG-22 and 5-R will all be in the way the rifles handle and fit your body not in the size of your groups which will be a matter of your ability to tune your loads for your 5-R. Sure the TRG-22 has an adjustable stock and a very good 2-stage trigger from the factory but these are things you can add to your 5-R just like I did.

I bought a used 5-R Milspec in an AICS chassis to give me an adjustable stock. I added a Tubb Speedlock firing pin & spring assembly along with the incredibly smooth, crisp and consistent Huber 2-stage trigger. I shopped carefully and I still have nearly $2,000 to spend to catch up to the basic cost of a new TRG-22. That is well over 5,000 rounds of handloading materials or most of a top shelf scope. If money is an issue (I don't know anyone who if being honest about will say it isn't) this is significant money that could be used for major upgrades to your 5-R.

If you are a handloader keep the 5-R and build a good load for it and the 5-R will not hurt your scores compared to that shiny new TRG-22.

HTH!

TRG is a much better rifle than Remington. No comparison. Once you start modifying and upgrading your Remington to be more equivalent, you will find that a TRG price to not be unreasonable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG is a much better rifle than Remington. No comparison. Once you start modifying and upgrading your Remington to be more equivalent, you will find that a TRG price to not be unreasonable. </div></div>

Not really. Did you read my post? $2,000.00 buys about 5,000 rounds of bullets and powder. With that much practice you will become a much better shooter than any small difference in precision between these two rifles.

Having owned both and currently owning neither, I can honetly say you won't be dissapointed with the TRG. The TRG I owned was in a league of its own. Laser accurate and the best trigger available (IMO). If you like the ergonomics and can afford it, GO FOR IT!

I think lowlight's analogy was perfect. I have had a 5R and then I sold it to buy my TRG-42 and I now have a TRG-22 in .260

I would say without a doubt it was worth it. How much is your local dealer selling them for? Have you checked anywhere else? I bought both mine from Eurooptic being the price was the best I found and I can also say so is the customer service. http://www.eurooptic.com/sako-trg.aspx

I do like custom rifles too but I think to get a stock, trigger, barrel, and action customized to the same quality as the Sako it would cost more. Also check the classified's here as there has been several for sell at great prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the 5R is a Chevy the TRG a BMW sure both can get you from point A to B, but one of the two is a much better ride.

There is a big difference, your 5R is a starter rifle. The TRG is much better. </div></div>

Hmmm, the Chevy Corvettes killed the BMW's and everyone else in the ALMS GT class in 2012 and just about everyone else in their class for for the previous 10 years of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. But your point is a good one and much like the Corvettes a well setup 5-R can equal or better the "much better" rifles when driven well and do so for a fraction of the price of the high priced rifles. IMO it is less about the ride and more about the finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having owned both and currently owning neither, I can honetly say you won't be dissapointed with the TRG. The TRG I owned was in a league of its own. Laser accurate and the best trigger available (IMO). If you like the ergonomics and can afford it, GO FOR IT! </div></div>

Having shot my stock barreled 5-R/AICS fed my handloads side by side with a TRG-22 fed its own tuned handloads I won't be rushing out to buy a TRG-22 any time soon. For TRG money you should see a significant difference in groups but in the real world that was not the case.

Basic cost of a new TRG-22 is around 3000/cheaper if you hunt around. I got mine about 3 years ago for 2400. But prices are different now.

MIL SPEC 5R: 1000
AICS: 900
Trigger: 150
So MILSPEC in an AICS with replacement trigger is over 2k. How does the 2k extra math come into play?

So for an extra 1k, you get a 60 degree bolt throw, a much more robust bolt, a much more robust receiver etc... Things that you can never upgrade to in a MILSPEC.

Not taking anything away from the MILSPEC at its price point, but TRG-22 is just better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolltide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always been pleased with the accuracy of my Remington, but I just saw a TRG22 in a local shop. I target shoot and hunt quite a bit, although I use my lightweight rifles for hunting.

Chris </div></div>

Chris,

I think we pretty much all agree that the TRG-22 is an impressive shooting and handling factory rifle. Truth be told I don't think they get any better out of the box from any other factory. A friend of mine has a TRG-22 with a PH 5-25x56 scope and I've shot it bit and it shoots very well. But at the going rate of a new TRG-22 they should shoot as well as most of the entry level customs out there which they do but is no TacOps rifle which granted is a bit more money.

That said if you are a reasonably skilled hand loader the differences between the TRG-22 and 5-R will all be in the way the rifles handle and fit your body not in the size of your groups which will be a matter of your ability to tune your loads for your 5-R. Sure the TRG-22 has an adjustable stock and a very good 2-stage trigger from the factory but these are things you can add to your 5-R just like I did.

I bought a used 5-R Milspec in an AICS chassis to give me an adjustable stock. I added a Tubb Speedlock firing pin & spring assembly along with the incredibly smooth, crisp and consistent Huber 2-stage trigger. I shopped carefully and I still have nearly $2,000 to spend to catch up to the basic cost of a new TRG-22. That is well over 5,000 rounds of handloading materials or most of a top shelf scope. If money is an issue (I don't know anyone who if being honest about will say it isn't) this is significant money that could be used for major upgrades to your 5-R.

If you are a handloader keep the 5-R and build a good load for it and the 5-R will not hurt your scores compared to that shiny new TRG-22.

HTH!
</div></div>

He's also comparing a used 5R to a new TRG-22. If you're patient a used TRG-22 can be found for significantly lower than retail.

I have had mine for 4 1/2 years and have owned about everything else and would not trade my TRG for anything else. For me it's hands down my favorite.

The trigger on a TRG alone is worth $400 ( if you could buy something like it and mount it on a rem) its crazy adjustable...and can pop it out to clean/lube it if it needs it. All without touching the action screws/rezeroing.

Not sure why some people act like the 5R is more than a good factory rifle. It's a good factory rifle,but it's not what some make it out to be on the net.

Before you bash, I owned a 5R, so I'm not saying this and never owning the rifle.

The TRG is built much better and you will pay a higher premium. What kills me about the TRG is how much factory bipods and mags cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipe10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No contest, TRG hands down. I've had both but be prepared to pay out the ass for the accessories, and you can hunt with it too! </div></div>

When I saw this post it brought back memories of humping a BAR. I love my TRG but would never take it hunting. But then I am just old to hump it thru the woods without having a heart attack.
tired.gif
LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trigger on a TRG alone is worth $400 ( if you could buy something like it and mount it on a rem) its crazy adjustable...and can pop it out to clean/lube it if it needs it. All without touching the action screws/rezeroing. </div></div>

Anyone can buy a better 2-stage trigger than comes with a factory TRG-22 from Huber for less than $400. There is not another 2-stage trigger on the market either factory or aftermarket that is as smooth or with as consistent a release force.

As designed the AICS chassis does not allow for removal of the trigger assembly without separating the action from the AICS chassis. I see no reason the AICS chassis could not be modified to allow the trigger to be removed without removing the action from the chassis. The question is why would you need to remove the trigger from the action. You can easily clean the trigger of most any Remington bolt gun by flushing the trigger from the top using lighter fluid after removing the bolt from the receiver.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trigger on a TRG alone is worth $400 ( if you could buy something like it and mount it on a rem) its crazy adjustable...and can pop it out to clean/lube it if it needs it. All without touching the action screws/rezeroing. </div></div>

Anyone can buy a better 2-stage trigger than comes with a factory TRG-22 from Huber for less than $400. There is not another 2-stage trigger on the market either factory or aftermarket that is as smooth or with as consistent a release force.

</div></div>

Well I guess to each his own...

I have owned both and do agree the Huber is one of the very best triggers for the 700 style actions but to say its better than the TRG trigger is just absurd. For starters the Huber is in no way as adjustable as the TRG. You can not adjust the reach, cant, or angle of the shoe on the Huber like you can on the TRG. You cant adjust the weight of pull on eighter stage on the Huber like the TRG. The safety of the Huber is an upgrade compaired to the factory 700 safety but still isnt as smooth and easy to use as the TRG. It also dosent lock the bolt like the TRG. Some may view locking the bolt as a negitave but if you have ever been moving with your rifle slung and have the bolt come open you will learn to appreciate that feature. So to say that it is better, well thats a bit far fetched.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trigger on a TRG alone is worth $400 ( if you could buy something like it and mount it on a rem) its crazy adjustable...and can pop it out to clean/lube it if it needs it. All without touching the action screws/rezeroing. </div></div>

As designed the AICS chassis does not allow for removal of the trigger assembly without separating the action from the AICS chassis. I see no reason the AICS chassis could not be modified to allow the trigger to be removed without removing the action from the chassis. The question is why would you need to remove the trigger from the action. You can easily clean the trigger of most any Remington bolt gun by flushing the trigger from the top using lighter fluid after removing the bolt from the receiver.

HTH!

The huber is a joke, don't try to run that trigger in any rough conditions or you will have a ND, the TRG can be adjusted 6 ways.

Drop your rifle in the mud, heavy dust off LZ, blowing sand 24 hours a day...yea why would you want a quickly removable trigger group?

You have obviously never had a rifle in true field conditions , the TRG is a true MILTIARY sniper rifle.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone can buy a better 2-stage trigger than comes with a factory TRG-22 from Huber for less than $400. There is not another 2-stage trigger on the market either factory or aftermarket that is as smooth or with as consistent a release force.

HTH!</div></div>

Everyone agree with YAOG, please. He's going to argue with everyone until you do. On every point. The Rem 700 is better because you can buy bullets and powder with the difference, the covette kicks ass, the AICS rules, and the huber trigger is the best ever. Got it.

To the OP - if I had the money, I'd go for the TRG today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trigger on a TRG alone is worth $400 ( if you could buy something like it and mount it on a rem) its crazy adjustable...and can pop it out to clean/lube it if it needs it. All without touching the action screws/rezeroing. </div></div>

Anyone can buy a better 2-stage trigger than comes with a factory TRG-22 from Huber for less than $400. There is not another 2-stage trigger on the market either factory or aftermarket that is as smooth or with as consistent a release force.</div></div>

Well I guess to each his own...

I have owned both and do agree the Huber is one of the very best triggers for the 700 style actions but to say its better than the TRG trigger is just absurd. For starters the Huber is in no way as adjustable as the TRG. You can not adjust the reach, cant, or angle of the shoe on the Huber like you can on the TRG. You cant adjust the weight of pull on eighter stage on the Huber like the TRG. The safety of the Huber is an upgrade compaired to the factory 700 safety but still isnt as smooth and easy to use as the TRG. It also dosent lock the bolt like the TRG. Some may view locking the bolt as a negitave but if you have ever been moving with your rifle slung and have the bolt come open you will learn to appreciate that feature. So to say that it is better, well thats a bit far fetched. </div></div>

I was speaking in the context of the OP's post. He says he is a regular target shooter and hunts with his lightweight hunting rifles. The OP also says his shooting time is limited which tells me his current 5-R will not be the limiting factor for his groups which is why I said shooting more would help him shoot better more than a fancy new rifle he still doesn't shoot much. It also sounds like he shoots his target rifles in a fairly clean environment (let's face if even in a tactical match dirt is not really an issue) where dirt is not a significant issue.

My comments were made with regards to comparing trigger feel and consistency of release which is what I posted. I imagine trigger feel is what the OP is interested in hearing about and not so much how much mud you can pack into the rifle trigger and still have it function though I doubt the TRG trigger will tolerate any more dirt than the Huber will.

Yes the TRG trigger is more adjustable by the shooter but like I said I don't think this is an issue for the OP based on his initial post. The OP did not ask about how smooth the TRG's safety feel is and I did not address safety feel either because frankly I do not shoot with the safety so how it feels is not any more important to me than how pretty the ejector machine work is.

The OP does not sound like he is going to be carrying the rifle slung on his back so the possibility of the bolt coming open because the bolt is not locked by the safety shouldn't be a problem for him. The safest way to carry a rifle reasonably ready in the field is condition 3 especially if slung on your back. The Huber triggers do not have the bolt locking feature of the TRG trigger nor does the Huber trigger lock the firing pin which may be a significant safety feature if you rely on the rifle safety to safe the rifle. Personally I never rely on a safety to keep a weapon safe.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The huber is a joke, don't try to run that trigger in any rough conditions or you will have a ND, the TRG can be adjusted 6 ways.

Drop your rifle in the mud, heavy dust off LZ, blowing sand 24 hours a day...yea why would you want a quickly removable trigger group?

You have obviously never had a rifle in true field conditions , the TRG is a true MILTIARY sniper rifle. </div></div>

finbox,

Lots of people are happily using the Huber triggers under all conditions with minimal issues being reported. The fact is that none of the TRG's six trigger adjustments can be used to adjust the quality of a TRG trigger's operational smoothness and release consistency. The Huber 2-stage trigger is superior to the TRG 2-stage triggers in these regards.

If you need to remove your trigger group for service it sounds like you have a non-functioning weapon, hope you have a backup. 99% of the time even with a stock Remington trigger you can resolve a fouled trigger problem by pulling the bolt out the back and flushing the trigger with naphtha, kerosene or any other light oil fuel. This takes maybe 30 seconds to complete.

I can tell you one thing for sure and that is that I have never been and will never be in the MILTIARY [sic]. I'm also pretty sure the OP is just looking to use his target rifle to shoot at targets not drag it through the mud and sand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone agree with YAOG, please. He's going to argue with everyone until you do. On every point. The Rem 700 is better because you can buy bullets and powder with the difference, the covette kicks ass, the AICS rules, and the huber trigger is the best ever. Got it.

To the OP - if I had the money, I'd go for the TRG today. </div></div>

LOL! You don't have to agree with me just consider what the OP posted instead of running it through the narrow minded perspective that passes for fashionable this week here on the Hide.

I said the 5-R the OP already owns would be a better option than buying a new TRG-22 because with the money he would save he could become a better shooter if he spent the money on ammunition and took the time to actually work on his shooting. If you disagree please say so and quit pussyfooting around.

The Corvette comment was a response to LL's comment that the 5-R is the Chevy and the TRG the BMW. I own and daily drive a BMW M3 and while the M3 is a joy to drive in a way that a Corvette driver can only imagine the Corvette is admittedly faster at least in a straight line.

The AICS is a very good basic chassis but it hardly rules except in terms of bang for the buck when purchased used. But the AICS 1.5 chassis is cheap enough to hack so if you really wanted to have a removable trigger group on a Remington 700 action you could with minor mods. The Huber 2-stage pretty much does rule for precision bolt rifles based on the Rem700 action. For service use maybe not so much.

If you had the money... (which you don't). If I had the money (which I don't but I do have a TacOps on the way) I would buy another TacOps in .300Win but that is a whole different ball of wax.

HTH!

With a good after-market trigger, the 5R will probably shoot as accurately as the TRG. Heck, it might even shoot better. That said we are talking .1 to .2 of an inch difference either way.

The TRG is not a custom rifle. It is a factory built sniper rifle used by many military and police forces around the world. So happens it is also available to civilians. There are spec requirements built into sniper rifles that are not found in target/hunting rifles, like the 5R.

The TRG is a better "all around rifle". If shooting is a big part of your life, and you can afford the TRG, get it. If not, stay with what you have and be happy. No need to use the kid's "college money" to shoot .5 inch groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

LOL! You don't have to agree with me just consider what the OP posted instead of running it through the narrow minded perspective that passes for fashionable this week here on the Hide.

If you had the money... (which you don't). If I had the money (which I don't but I do have a TacOps on the way) I would buy another TacOps in .300Win but that is a whole different ball of wax.

HTH!

</div></div>

YAOG,
I agree with most of what you said. The 5R is a good rifle as are most factory Remongton 700s. The Huber is one of the very best aftermarket triggers you can buy with some great features like the ability to get a 2 stage and choose where you want the safety.

But to say "You don't have to agree with me just consider what the OP posted instead of running it through the narrow minded perspective that passes for fashionable this week here on the Hide." in reguards to a TRG or its trigger being better than the 5R or Huber and then following it up with "If you had the money... (which you don't). If I had the money (which I don't but I do have a TacOps on the way) I would buy another TacOps in .300Win but that is a whole different ball of wax." Is hilarious! Talk about "fashionable" (not to take away from Mike, but...) the Tac Ops rifle offers NOTHING over any other reworked 700 (if done properly) but fashion. There is no magic voodoo pixie dust in Beverly Hills. Yes Mike does very nice work, yes his rifles shoot very well, but what is YOUR justification in bringing them into this discussion. It seems to me that YOU must think there is something special about them to make it be a whole different ball of wax. That is unless you are comparing the Tac Ops to the 5R, because it is. Or if you are comparing the 300MW to the 308 and that is too. But if you are tring to say that a full custom build 700 (by whom ever) is a different ball of wax than a factroy TRG in function and quality (except for being able to spec out different options) is again a bit far fetched. Is there a possiability of getting a sub par TRG sure, but it too can happen with anyones 700. My point is that no matter how much you modify, alter, and adjust the 700 it is still just that a 700. You are still stuck with a less advanced and inherently more prone to failure operating system. Its just facts.

Yaog says"Huber trigger lock the firing pin which may be a significant safety feature if you rely on the rifle safety to safe the rifle. Personally I never rely on a safety to keep a weapon safe. "

So when your out on hunt you don't have a round in the chamber? And this is because you have a $400 huber trigger in your rifle?...see where the huber is a joke comment is from.

Most people rely on the safety switch to safe the weapon, and that's why the huber is a joke on a non benchrest rifle.

Yes the huber is a really smooth trigger, BUT to get that smoothness he had to eliminate all the built in safeties of the Rem trigger. Any other trigger manufacture could have done this as well, but choose not to eliminate the safety for very obvious reasons.

As far as custom Rem 700's as stated above he is absolutely correct they are just Rem 700's nothing more.
You have to remember the Rem 700 was developed as a cheap as possible, mass market action. If you compare it to some WW1 bolt guns, it looks weak, cheaply made and not as smooth of an action. The first time I racked a old beat up Enfield or Krag I was like damn that's smooth!
The TRG's , and dare I say the ugly Savage actions are are a step above the 700. I'm a engineer and when I look at the 700 I can think of many ways to improve its design. Manly the the action/stock attachment points. ( three- four threads on the rear action screws)
I have a 5r and love it, but the TRG is a better rifle. If I where the OP, I would put a timely trigger in the 5r and be happy with that. It will shoot great and be safe.

I have a 5R.
It is a very nice rifle, but by the time I'm done with it, I'll have more into it than a TRG. My 5R shoots really well, but will ultimately be rebarreled to 6.5CM.
The difference is, I have been able to spread the investment over time.

The 700 action is a sporting rifle action.

The TRG is a match rifle action.

A factory 700 action is notoriously out of true. You almost always need to bed the scope base on a Rem action. The trigger on a 5R is very serviceable, but will usually be replaced.

YAOG tells you how much money you save with a 5R, then says to install 400 dollar trigger. 5R doesn't have a DBM and comes in a standard configuration stock. So, now you need a chassis. Add another 800 bones.

So, you take your 1100 dollar rifle, add a 400 dollar trigger and an 800 dollar chassis and you've got 2300 into a standard, sporter rifle action with a decent factory barrel.

Of course, you can sell your take off stock for 200, brings that total down to 2100.
You can also elect to go with a timney trigger and knock another 250 off. Now your down to 1850.

For 1850, you can buy a 700 ADL, send it to a smith, have it trued and a match grade custom barrel to your exact desires installed with a timney trigger and McCree chassis.

It will shoot better than the 5R and probably better than the TRG.

A TRG will cost you at least 3000 for a base rifle. You're talking a real difference of 1200 bucks.
Is it worth it?
Only you can say.

You could always get a Tikka Master Sporter.

My 5R shoots pretty sweet. Timney trigger and a skim bed are the only mods.

photo24ea.jpg

A good option for the OP.
Tikka T 3 sporter $1600 a lot of rifle for the $
Tikka-T3-Sporter-24-inch.jpg

After shooting a TRG, I had the opportunity to purchase one a few years ago. I went back and forth on building my PSS up or going the TRG route...decided against the TRG. The reason was the cost vs what I'd get out of it. Sure it felt smooth and was a pleasure to shoot but really all I'd get out of it was a "wow, that looks cool" comment.

I'd suggest keeping the 5r, buying another bbl for when you shoot out the current one, put about 800 bucks aside with the bbl for action work and bbl fit for later, spend the rest on bullets, powder and ammunition....If you have reloading equipment (if no equipment-get some).

Oh, and yea, you can get a good 2stage trigger for the Remington too...Anschutz w/adapter, CG-Xtreme

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG is a much better rifle than Remington. No comparison. Once you start modifying and upgrading your Remington to be more equivalent, you will find that a TRG price to not be unreasonable. </div></div>

Not really. Did you read my post? $2,000.00 buys about 5,000 rounds of bullets and powder. With that much practice you will become a much better shooter than any small difference in precision between these two rifles.

</div></div>being that a new TRG can be had for $2700, where the fuck did you find a 5r, an AICS, and a Huber trigger for $700? Are you under the impression a TRG costs $4000 or something?

And to the people in the thread that suggest that a 5r may shoot BETTER than a TRG with the right loads, I'm curious how much trigger time you have behind a TRG? I ran a test on a TRG folder when I first bought it a few years back, and the AVERAGE of 10x5 shot groups at 100 yards with three different factory match ammunitions was in the .4's. I haven't seen one that won't turn out pretty consistent .2's with the right hand loads.

I have yet to see a factory Remington turn out that consistent of a performance. Yes it might occasionally shoot a .25" group after a lot of work at the loading bench but I'd really like to see all the groups and not the best of the day.

As for the Huber being a better trigger, for the poster claiming that, have you ever felt a TRG trigger? I seriously think you are the first person in the history of the Internet to actually criticize the feel of a TRG trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the 5R is a Chevy the TRG a BMW sure both can get you from point A to B, but one of the two is a much better ride.

There is a big difference, your 5R is a starter rifle. The TRG is much better. </div></div>

Apples and pineapples.

frank said it well

If you really want it get it. As most said by the time you reach the TRG's level of quality so to speak in your remington you'll have met the price. Though accuracy has always been accuracy in my eyes. A good shooter given a rifle with decent action and a good barrel properly fitted etc. should be able to match the accuracy of most rifles. Where the big difference comes in IMO is what Chiller stated it's like an AI "ready for war"

I own a 5R that's been bedded in a McM A5 and had a bolt knob and DBM installed those modifications alone were 1400$.

It dosent get any better than a TRG. Best trigger ever fitted to a rifle, superb accuracy with damn near every bullet I have fed through it, great ergonomics, strong slick action. Stop pissing about with scrappy Remmys and go buy a TRG.

Of course there's no comparison in price and refinement between the two. TRG wins.

However in the end I discovered I prefer single stage triggers and 90 degree bolt throw. My MAK tube kit built around(glued into) a M700, PTG bolt, Magpul PRS rear stock, finger groove AR grip, is the most easily adjustable and ergonomic rifle I've ever owned.