• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Triangular Shaped Groups

MontanaHick

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
Hey all,
I'm load developing for my .223. It's a heavy barrel Rem700. I was out last night with a buddy, and as I was shooting, the light was fading out.

Long story short, 3 of 4 groups came in under an inch (3 shots each), but they were all triangles... shot about 9-oclock, shot about 1:30 or 2 oclock, and a shot about 4:30 or 5 oclock.

My last group I was starting to get cold, pulled the first shot and probably bolluxed up the next two, not going to worry about that much powder anyway.

What's up with these triangular shot groups? In the .223, what do I change first to make the groups tighten up? seating depth or charge weight?

Thanks!

Re: Triangular Shaped Groups

Technically, depending on the size, you want a triangle shaped group.

it shows equal dispersion in all directions, a triangle is a good thing, that maybe be the accuracy limit of the load and as you tighten the load up, the group will appear more, one - hole-ish

LL, thanks for dropping by!

Best group was .724" c2c, worst was .818" c2c, wind was ~15 mph from 10 oclock. Wierd thing was I was going up .5gr. with each group. I think I'm going to take the best one and seat it out a few different lengths and see how it treats me.

BTW, your video and discussions on trigger control are pretty much ENTIRELY responsible for the increase in accuracy I'm showing, thanks!!!

The first thing you do to make your groups tighten up is hold harder. But, one thing for sure, attempting to analyze 3 shot groups is not likely to reveal much more than what adjustment you need to make to zero the rifle. Still, 5 shot groups are better for this, as triangulation is more accurate.

How do you shoot a 3 shot group and it not be a triangle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you shoot a 3 shot group and it not be a triangle? </div></div>

+2

lol i'm not talking about some picasso-looking thing, but perfect isosceles triangles. And it's easy, pull the trigger one way or another as you're releasing the sear, it'll string horizontally very nicely. Trust me, I'm usually really good at it >.<

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you shoot a 3 shot group and it not be a triangle? </div></div>

If it's three holes all in a straight line (LOL).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you shoot a 3 shot group and it not be a triangle? </div></div>

If it's three holes all in a straight line (LOL).</div></div>

Ha!

when I have had this happen I just adjusted my charge weight by .1-.2 and my pattern would either get bigger or get smaller, like lowlight said, triangular groups are generally a good thing, ive always been told your on the right track when theyre triangular and not vertical and horizontal groups

Customgun1, this brings up the puzzling part for me:
I put down 3 groups, each about 1.3 grains more powder than the last, each within about .2" of each other overall in terms of group size. Slowest in the middle, medium all around, and fastest was the largest (again, by about .2" with my calipers).

Was I just finding the outer edges of harmonic nodes with the specific loads I tried or do you think something else might have been going on? None of them were anywhere near max so I know I can work around with the fastest of them, but it's been colder than hell around here and my digital dispenser is on the fritz so until I can afford a new one I'm not able to go play with this much anyway.