• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tricks to mount optic perfectly horizontal?

Re: Tricks to mount optic perfectly horizontal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kingjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tag </div></div>

Me too. Interesting thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daryl licht</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dumbasses... Easiest way and cheapest is to get a metal ruler, you know one of the 1" x 12" jobs that cost about a dollar. Slide it between the scope and the base you'll notice that its at an angle. Rest the bottom of the ruler on the scope base making sure it is absolutely flat against it...no light coming under it. Now rotate it up still maintaining pressure against the base until it touches the bottom of the scope...which on most model of scopes is perfectly flat also. Now look where the ruler touches the scope and If its not level you'll see light coming. From one side or the other...adjust the scope accordingly till there's no light coming from between the scope and the ruler and the base and the ruler. It's now perfectly in line with the base and the action. Takes about a minute.
</div></div> Not a bad idea for a quick and dirty mount. I'm not sure I would use a 1" ruler though... maybe something like a 6" Starret scale or similar, but what would I know? I'm just a dumbass
smile.gif

<span style="font-size: 14pt"> </span> <span style="color: #FF6666"><span style="font-weight: bold">Parallel, parallel, parallel ! ! !</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF6666">NOT LEVEL ! ! !</span></span>

OK I've done a search and can't find what I want to know.

I've always used the look down the bore and center up the ret method to make sure my scope is parallel to the bore.

However I was thinking about buying a collimator of some description but now I'm wondering how can you do that with a collimator.
I mean I know the thing projects a grid that you look at through your scope but if it is off then you would be setting up your scope wrong.
The grid is not indexed by anything so how do you know when you scope is running true to the bore when using said tool ?

I just use the 7 deg wedge that came with my Spuhr mounts. I will test this at 500 yards later this month but my educated eye (50+ years as either a pipe fitter or millwright) pretty much can tell me when the gun is canted and I have double checked multiple times with both levels and a plumb line. I know my reticles are lined up, not certain about the erector but I'm more concerned with shooter error at this point in my journey into LR shooting. I also use the holdover method with my G2 reticle in my Bushy ERS scope.

well...I went out to Pepboys and bought the gauges....anyway...they dont line up at all with my original mounting...(I hit 1000yards at Quantico with no windage and holdover at all once before..of course with no wind)

I usually use the EXD from Brownells that makes sure you are mounting according to the bore not a base...

Since it didnt line up, I took everything off and bubbled the base...ITs a Badger clipslotted steel Base on my GAP M40A3

Sure enough the bubble on the level moved from being centered to off to one side a little as you move back...Unless there is a milling issue, the base must have warped during install or torqueing....It was the same with my other ROCK rifle with standard Badger base...

Gauge idea is nice but not necessarily perfect if there are any imperfections with the scope base.

I also use the EXD leveling system. It will show you most Ricky tick if your screws are drilled and tapped off center. I have an encore barrel that is badly misaligned. I put a bubble on the base and compared to the EXD. Drove me crazy until I said piss on it. I could feel the cant of the rifle even after truing the scope to the bore. Bubble level reinforced my presumption.