• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger Choice Question

DocJekyll

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
USA
This upcoming Friday I plan to order a trigger for my newest build which also happens to be my first precision rifle build.

Here's what I have so far:

Surgeon 1086 R Long action w/ Trigger housing
Manners T4-A Stock, Fitted for 1086 Surgeon
Krieger SS Barrel, 22in, 1/11 R Twist, #9 Contour, 5-R Rifling
Surefire MB338SS01 Muzzle Brake
Harris Bipod w/ K.M.W Pod-Loc
Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50 Zerostop H58 Horus, w/ LaRue LT111 QD Mount

Now I have only really heard of Jewel triggers, and if that is the best option for a trigger manufacturer then I'm all for it but I was curious if anyone had any experience or opinions on other trigger systems that would be compatible with the Surgeon and provide great break, and consistency. Any thoughts? I defer to the experience of others on this forum as I'm new to it.

Re: Trigger Choice Question

Timney makes a great trigger, I replaced my xmark with one/

I'd also consider getting a different scope mount, no need for a forward cant mount, or qd rings, on a precision bolt gun.

I was researching this same thing awhile back and every other trigger seemed to fall short of Jewel triggers. Both in function and in workmanship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Timney makes a great trigger, I replaced my xmark with one/

I'd also consider getting a different scope mount, no need for a forward cant mount, or qd rings, on a precision bolt gun.</div></div>

One of the things I will need to be able to do is remove the optic, so the QD mounts are important, however if there is a mount that would fit the bill better I'm open to suggestions.

You can get a competition trigger that's 1-3 ounces

Or a timney that's 1.5-3.5 POUNDS

Or get a Jewell that's does both

It goes from 1.5 ounces to 3 pounds

Jewell > all

Since Jewel seems not to have a website, does anyone have the number to call them and get one ordered?

It sounds like you have a great build. Before you pull the trigger (pun intended) on whatever, I think you should around and read about the Huber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like you have a great build. Before you pull the trigger (pun intended) on whatever, I think you should around and read about the Huber.</div></div>

Would you happen to have any information or experience? You've peaked my interest.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like you have a great build. Before you pull the trigger (pun intended) on whatever, I think you should around and read about the Huber.</div></div>

Would you happen to have any information or experience? You've peaked my interest.
wink.gif
</div></div>

There was a group buy here a while ago. I've dry-fired one belonging to someone else, sorry that's it for personal experience. That said, it's what I will buy in the future. I have a Jewell in a 40X .22, but it's a range queen. The Huber seems more rugged for something used in the field.

I feel the same way about Geissele in an AR. You can tell me the AR Gold is just as good for the same price, but I'm going to pay for the Geissele.

http://www.huberconcepts.com/ I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than I will be a future customer of a 3 lb. model for a 700.

I like my timney. I am the furthest thing from an expert, but I have heard/read about jewel triggers not functioning properly in dirty environments. I know bench rest shooters that swear by them, and tactical shooters that don't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongCut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my timney. I am the furthest thing from an expert, but I have heard/read about jewel triggers not functioning properly in dirty environments. I know bench rest shooters that swear by them, and tactical shooters that don't.
</div></div>

That's actually an interesting thing to bring up. I plan on using my rifle in many different environments (not going to be a safe queen or range queen that's for sure!). I would want something that is going to be reliable even if it gets a little dirty.

If reliability is a concern,I would think twice about a jewel. The huber would be a better buy

I have a jewell on my 591 Surgeon build. I went with a Huber 2-stage on the new 1086 build. Jewell's can be finicky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Timney makes a great trigger, I replaced my xmark with one/

I'd also consider getting a different scope mount, no need for a forward cant mount, or qd rings, on a precision bolt gun. </div></div>
What he said. If you like a single stage, the Timney's are hard to beat for the price and in general. They break very nice (like snapping a thermometer) and tune very well. They are also VERY reliable. I have one on my hunting rifle that I've been using for 18+ years. I've used this trigger on Alaskan winter hunts with temperatures well below zero. It just works and feels good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This upcoming Friday I plan to order a trigger for my newest build which also happens to be my first precision rifle build.

Here's what I have so far:

Surgeon 1086 R Long action w/ Trigger housing
Manners T4-A Stock, Fitted for 1086 Surgeon
Krieger SS Barrel, 22in, 1/11 R Twist, #9 Contour, 5-R Rifling
Surefire MB338SS01 Muzzle Brake
Harris Bipod w/ K.M.W Pod-Loc
Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50 Zerostop H58 Horus, w/ LaRue LT111 QD Mount

Now I have only really heard of Jewel triggers, and if that is the best option for a trigger manufacturer then I'm all for it but I was curious if anyone had any experience or opinions on other trigger systems that would be compatible with the Surgeon and provide great break, and consistency. Any thoughts? I defer to the experience of others on this forum as I'm new to it. </div></div>

Over the years I've spent a few thousand dollars on various triggers.

I love Jewell triggers, but had one broke in the field because it's design really is too delicate. Get to much gunk in your rifle, or blow a primer doing load development and a Jewell trigger will break on you. And Jewell triggers are not cheap to get fixed.

Huber Triggers are great and selling well, but I've seen bunches having to go back to get fixed. Great triggers and you'll find they have a strong following. But search the hide for Huber trigger issues and you should get lots of feedback.

CG X-Treme Mod 22 2-stage Triggers are great triggers as well. And for $350.00 they better remain great triggers. I personally love them, but they're too rich for my blood.

But the standard Remington triggers have held up amazingly well for me. They most definately are not the slickest or most adjustable triggers. But for the price (free with the rifle) I strongly believe they are the best bang for the buck. And if they give me problems I can't live with, then there is always MidwayUSA and overnight shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Timney makes a great trigger, I replaced my xmark with one/

I'd also consider getting a different scope mount, no need for a forward cant mount, or qd rings, on a precision bolt gun.</div></div>

One of the things I will need to be able to do is remove the optic, so the QD mounts are important, however if there is a mount that would fit the bill better I'm open to suggestions. </div></div>

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/322/

This mount would be better. No forward cant, and mounts a little lower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Timney makes a great trigger, I replaced my xmark with one/

One of the things I will need to be able to do is remove the optic, so the QD mounts are important, however if there is a mount that would fit the bill better I'm open to suggestions. </div></div>

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/322/

This mount would be better. No forward cant, and mounts a little lower.</div></div>

I spoke with LaRue today, and the 104 has no cant to it, and neither does the 111 which I decided on. It's pretty hard to beat a LaRue mount for repeat-ability.

Actually the conversation I had with the guy (I don't wanna rat him out because he was awesome) regarding the optic and mount package they offer made me laugh.
"Is it going on an OBR?"
"No its going on a Surgeon"
"Thats awesome, you gonna let me shoot it?"
"Only if you cut me a deal. lol"
"I can give you the screws included in the mount for free but you have to buy the optic and mount yourself." ....etc etc

Informative, and entertaining from the guys at LaRue, as always.
laugh.gif
grin.gif

I have two rifle basix, and a Geiselle. All excellent. My buddy has a Jewell on a Surgeon. Pretty sweet. You would not be disappointed.

Call Surgeon first before buying a Timney to see if it will work on a 1086. My recent Surgeon 591 build locked up with a Timney in it and Surgeon didn't really have an answer as to why other than suggesting another trigger.
To make things stranger I have an older RSR action and the bolt worked purfectly with the trigger in the new action. Not 100% sure but I think they have modifyed their cocking pieces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Surgeon first before buying a Timney to see if it will work on a 1086. My recent Surgeon 591 build locked up with a Timney in it and Surgeon didn't really have an answer as to why other than suggesting another trigger.
To make things stranger I have an older RSR action and the bolt worked purfectly with the trigger in the new action. Not 100% sure but I think they have modifyed their cocking pieces.</div></div>

I spoke with them. They stated any trigger made for Rem700 actions will fit with their products. Both the 591 and 1086.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was researching this same thing awhile back and every other trigger seemed to fall short of Jewel triggers. Both in function and in workmanship. </div></div>

fwiw & imo,
It is, like many things, a matter of preference. I've been there and done that many many times and I'd take a two stage AI trigger for anything short a BR Rig. Not that is what I run or the only way to go either...

Regards, Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was researching this same thing awhile back and every other trigger seemed to fall short of Jewel triggers. Both in function and in workmanship. </div></div>

fwiw & imo,
It is, like many things, a matter of preference. I've been there and done that many many times and I'd take a two stage AI trigger for anything short a BR Rig. Not that is what I run or the only way to go either...

Regards, Matt. </div></div>Very true. When I was looking into this awhile back the Jewel trigger was the overwhelming favorite of people who shared their preference with me in that thread. It doesn't seem to be the case in this thread. Different people = different preferences. Go figure. The answer doesn't seem to be as cut and dry as I originally believed. Since the selection of triggers that work as Accutrigger replacements are so small I'll bet several could be the best Savage aftermarket trigger if they just offered one that could replace an AccuTrigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since Jewel seems not to have a website, does anyone have the number to call them and get one ordered?</div></div>

Look up greatscottshooters.com the best prices on jewell triggers i found.
I purchased my jewell hvr from there for under $200. Love it!!
Get a jewell hvr and never look back.

Seems like e Jewell's ar ENT as sturdy as the Timneys. I hav exhort both and all the problems were with the Jewell's. The Timney are totally rock solid.