• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger choice

Fourseason1966

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2019
Hello, I am planning to get a new drop in trigger, specifically the Timney Calvin model for my Ruger 10-22.

Would you prefer the single or 2 stage trigger and why?

I like single stage because I like it when I press the trigger I know it's going to go off. I don't want take up.

Either will work though and it comes down to personal preference more than anything.

I like single stage because I like it when I press the trigger I know it's going to go off. I don't want take up.

Either will work though and it comes down to personal preference more than anything.

This ☝️

Personally I feel you have much more control (especially in less than stable positions, or extreme environments like cold or wet conditions) with a true two stage. You will be able to “locate“ the trigger shoe, take up the first stage, hit a solid wall in which at anytime you may need to back off the trigger and not take the shot you have a much more forgiving window to do so, or continue to break the shot. Also with a true two stage trigger you have SO much more sear engagement than on a crisp single stage, but beware not all “2 stage triggers” are actual two stage triggers some just feel like one.

If I ever have the option I will always choose a two stage trigger.

I love my single stage TT diamonds, but the two stage timney i had on my tikka was pretty nice. I plan on changing them out when TT finally releases their two stage. It’s just personal preference

I went through a phase where I liked 2-stage, then I outgrew it when I started shooting matches and found myself pulling through the first stage and having near-NDs because I wanted a light second stage. But it is really about what you like, and you may - probably will - find that your preferences change.

I see you are new (at least in terms of posting messages); welcome to SH. If you've been lurking a lot since joining, you know there's an incredible amount of excellent information here. With that in mind - I don't know what sort of 10/22 you have, but if it isn't capable of MOA accuracy as it is now, you might want to reconsider spending $250 or so on it. Get a beverage or three and a comfortable chair and take some time to peruse the Rimfire forum here. You might decide it makes more sense to sell or trade the 10/22 for an upgrade to CZ-457 or Tikka T1X or similar at the low end, Vudoo at the high end. Of course, these are all bolt guns. I can't speak to autoloaders; I know that there are some really accurate 10/22 or 10/22-based rifles out there.

Reactions: charnicus
learn on an AI and you get used to the 2 stage.

that said. multiple years with a 2 stage and i run a TT Diamond on one rifle now. works just fine.

still prefer the 2 stage most of the time

It's up to personal preference. I have single stage on some rifles and two stage on others. I'm neutral to the point that if one or the other is on sale, that's the one I go with.

The one situation where I really prefer a two stage is when wearing gloves. The two stage trigger gives you the ability to get a feel for the trigger through the gloves on the first stage.

Personally I feel you have much more control (especially in less than stable positions, or extreme environments like cold or wet conditions) with a true two stage. You will be able to “locate“ the trigger shoe, take up the first stage, hit a solid wall in which at anytime you may need to back off the trigger and not take the shot you have a much more forgiving window to do so, or continue to break the shot. Also with a true two stage trigger you have SO much more sear engagement than on a crisp single stage, but beware not all “2 stage triggers” are actual two stage triggers some just feel like one.

If I ever have the option I will always choose a two stage trigger.

You can just put your finger on a single stage too. No real difference.

As for not firing, you do the same thing on a single stage by just taking your finger off the trigger. ;)

i feel like the only people who prefer 2 stage are military or otherwise forced to learn on it to begin with. its what they are used to. there is a huge learning curve to properly using a 2 stage. liability monsters created that crap. same people who think triggerlocks are good ideas.
i cut my teeth on armory issued 1911s. anything that doesnt cleanly break like glass rod is garbage to me. all ar15s need dropin singlestage 3lbs. or theyre trash.

Isn’t there a binary trigger for 10/22 available now?

That’s what I would be getting if it were me.

You can just put your finger on a single stage too. No real difference.

As for not firing, you do the same thing on a single stage by just taking your finger off the trigger. ;)

Agreed. I suppose I am just indoctrinated completely to shooting two stage triggers from many many years of air, and small bore while I was young and now 20 years of shooting TRGs or AIs. I am not saying that complete trigger control is not possible with a single stage, that is all on the shooter. All I am getting at is a two stage brings a few more things to the table, whether they are a benefit or not is up for the end user to decide.

If you really want to see the benefits of a two stage trigger suit up and sling up and shoot some small bore for a while, or even high power / Palma, but IMO it is more noticeable in small bore. Those techniques will carry over to all but the very most dynamic shooting disciplines.

Last edited:
depends on what im shooting.

i really only prefer 2 stage triggers on precision guns....i feel i can stack the trigger and break the shot cleaner.

everything else its single stage for me..the triggers feel faster and i can generally shoot controlled pairs easier.

Definitely a personal preference thing, but as @jbell stated there is extra seer overlap on a "true" 2-stage. This gives me peace of mind, especially on a hunting rifle. To be fair it's not like you hear about regular misfires and match DQs due to trigger malfunctions on high end single stage triggers (like a TT). I also like that if I've got a 2.5 lb trigger I can tell exactly when I have applied 1.5lb (or whatever the numbers are) and just a tad more and it will go. That said 2-stage options are much slimmer and you'll pay more usually. So all of my non-precision varmint rifles and such are still single stage triggers. FWIW.

I believe the kidd single stage is the best 10/22 trigger on the market.

maybe it's the beer, but reading Big JimFish review made me think of something

the 2 stage is like shooting a compound bow. 'heavy' pull weight then you sit there forever on the second stage