• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger Choices?

patronus susceptor

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2011
The South
I am in the process of assembling the parts for two builds from Stiller actions - one a .300 WM and the other a .375 Cheytac. A local shooter with far more experience than I was fond of Rifle Basix triggers for field applications which I intend to use these two for once finished. Upon reading the reviews on MidwayUSA it appears to be a mixed bag of yea's and nea's. I am looking for crisp trigger that can take handle field use (ie dirt and dust) and have an appropriate amount of safe pull.

Suggestions? Also anything I need to know about having a custom action and mating a trigger?

I have an old style rem tuned by GAP that is almost as good as my Timney 510. But for real cash CG Jackson or Huber are tops.

Timney straight trigger is my preference on a 700 style action.

Next I'd choose a old-style 700 trigger.

Basix isn't bad either.

I would avoid Jewell.

Timney straight trigger is my preference on a 700 style action.

Next I'd choose a old-style 700 trigger.

Basix isn't bad either.

I would avoid Jewell.

Old style? Pre-2006 trigger or does that mean something else? My dad's 1960's vintage BDL does have one crisp trigger on it. As several of you recommended - where do you get a donor trigger without having a donor? Sorry for all the questions this is my first foray into full custom.

I have a Timney 510 in one rig and a GAP tuned Remington in another, they are almost identical. On my next build I want to try the straight shoe Timney.

The old style Rem triggers are often listed on the site in the FS section. I like them better than most any aftermarket single stage trigger.

There are usually a few for sale on here in the options and accessories for sale thread. By old style, we mean before the xmark trigger.

I just got my rifle from Beanland and I purchased a Shilen trigger to have installed. I'm actually shocked at how nice that trigger is. I have timney on a 7RM and like it alot, but the Shilen is awesome. My next build will have a Shilen also.

If you are going with a Stiller action, let me save you some disappointment and a little pain. Call Timney direct and make sure you order a 510U. Very important you stress the "U" suffix. I do not recommend the Jewell for the following reasons, and I do however believe Jewell is an awesome trigger. The Jewell is made with tight tolerances, and the overtravel screw has been known to come loose. When it does, it keeps the trigger from breaking, and I don't care how hard you pull, it won't work until you retighten it a little. Another reason is dirty enviroments, and the Jewell don't go together well. Oil in a Jewell is also a big problem. Parts don't seem to want to operate when oil contamination is present. Rifle Basix is Ok, but just that, OK. The original Remingtons are great once someone who knows what they are doing tunes them. That cost money. If you call Timney, and ask them to set the pull weight, all you have to do is install it, and go shooting with the pull weight you want, and a super sharp breaking trigger for about $130.00. Good luck

Sorry, here's the number 602-274-2999

Last edited:
Karl Feldkamp did a Shilen in my custom 25-06 he built and IT is to DIE for never thought I'd fall in love with a Shilen......................Karl made me a BELIEVER!!!!!!!! Steve Baldwin tuned a old style Rem. trigger for the custom Ti I have in the forsale section that FLOORED me to!!!!!!! Next stop stop maybe a Timney since everyone say they like em!!!!!!!

Old style? Pre-2006 trigger or does that mean something else? My dad's 1960's vintage BDL does have one crisp trigger on it. As several of you recommended - where do you get a donor trigger without having a donor? Sorry for all the questions this is my first foray into full custom.

You can catch take-offs pretty cheaply usually. If you look around BR websites, those guys all want 1 oz Jewels and sell off old triggers from 700 donor guns. You can really tune up the old vintage triggers nicely. When we say old, we mean Pre X-marks.

I really like the Timney 517 (510 with a flat shoe) in all 3 of my rifles, two Remy 700s and one Stiller. For the Stiller, as has been mentioned, you may want to get the longer sear from Timney, or order the trigger from them with the longer sear to begin with ("U" version). If you don't, you may end up with light primer strikes (or you may not). There's been some discussion of this in older posts here on the Hide, even with comparison photos of the two different sears.

Karl Feldkamp did a Shilen in my custom 25-06 he built and IT is to DIE for never thought I'd fall in love with a Shilen......................Karl made me a BELIEVER!!!!!!!! Steve Baldwin tuned a old style Rem. trigger for the custom Ti I have in the forsale section that FLOORED me to!!!!!!! Next stop stop maybe a Timney since everyone say they like em!!!!!!!

+1 on a Karl adjusted Shilen. I have two he did for me, including taking the sharp edges off the trigger shoe on the Shilen which really makes it nice especially in the field!