• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger control with pistol grip on rifle

Aggrofish

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2013
I have a Ruger RPR and it has a pistol grip. It seems like I shoot regular stock, like an HS Precision, better than a chassis rifle. I'm a right handed shooter and normally I shoot with my thumb wrapped around the grip on the left (from behind the rifle). I feel like I'm either gripping too tight or putting too much leverage (side to side) on the grip and I think that's showing up in a lot of horizontal dispersion.

Today I shot 50 rounds with my thumb on the right and groups tightened up horizontally. It also seems a lot faster after manipulating the bolt and getting back on target. I played with rapid engagement from 333 to 555 from 4MOA to 1MOA targets and it seemed the rifle stayed on target a lot better. I might have been inavertantly twisting the grip.

What grip are you guys using?

Was this question not stupid enough or just way too stupid. I'm curious?

Build the position from the trigger back and not the grip forward,

Look at this image of me shooting a semi auto with a pistol grip, look at my hand position

img_8861-1280x738-jpg.6911908

img_8868-1280x829-jpg.6911910

You still want a 90 degree trigger finger with the fingernail pointing to 9 O'Clock when you start and finish.

Watch my RPR videos on YouTube

Thanks I've seen the trigger control videos on YouTube I'll look for the one with the RPR. I'm been trying to implement what you've said in some of the videos and it's helped. Appreciate you putting them out there.

I am experimenting with this now with my Fix. First pistol grip rifle I've owned. I definitely like the no-wrap whilst shooting prone, it's very quick with the fix as you use the AR safety as a thumb rest and the bolt handle is basically touching your hand.

Reactions: Aggrofish
It takes awhile to decouple the trigger squeeze from the rest of the stuff the shooting hand is doing. I find that the less other stuff my shooting hand has to do, the less interference with proper trigger control I get. This is particularly important with the thumb. There is a very tight relationship with the muscles that control thumb movement and the muscles used to control the trigger finger. Tighten the grip with the thumb and you lose dexterity with the trigger finger. You can wrap the thumb around the grip or not, that is a matter of choice but don't build any tension with the thumb.
The adjacent fingers do play a little part but think of them as hooks used to apply a little rearward pressure on the grip but not trying to squeeze the grip. The only force in your hand, by this point, should be the pressure of your finger on the trigger. That pressure needs to be applied parallel to the bore of the rifle and no place else.

Good info. When I wrap my thumb it is applying pressure even though I try not to. I also find it easier to pull straight back with the 3 fingers when my thumb is on the same side.

It takes awhile to decouple the trigger squeeze from the rest of the stuff the shooting hand is doing. I find that the less other stuff my shooting hand has to do, the less interference with proper trigger control I get. This is particularly important with the thumb. There is a very tight relationship with the muscles that control thumb movement and the muscles used to control the trigger finger. Tighten the grip with the thumb and you lose dexterity with the trigger finger. You can wrap the thumb around the grip or not, that is a matter of choice but don't build any tension with the thumb.
The adjacent fingers do play a little part but think of them as hooks used to apply a little rearward pressure on the grip but not trying to squeeze the grip. The only force in your hand, by this point, should be the pressure of your finger on the trigger. That pressure needs to be applied parallel to the bore of the rifle and no place else.

Check out the grip on the MPA chassis. I like it a lot for all the reasons discussed above.

You can order the MPA grip separately and it will fit on the RPR with a few minor modifications.

Check out the grip on the MPA chassis. I like it a lot for all the reasons discussed above.

You can order the MPA grip separately and it will fit on the RPR with a few minor modifications.

+1

Toss the AR grip in the trash and put an MPA vertical grip on it

You're welcome

I think the Ergo tactical delux is the best grip on the market honestly...

when it comes to grip pressure, i squeeze the grip as little as possible...i hold the grip like a dead-fish...just enough that my hand has some semblance on the weapon...but not enough to really influence the shot any.

I have ergos on all my ARs. I have the tactical delux with palm shelf on the RPR.

I think the Ergo tactical delux is the best grip on the market honestly...

when it comes to grip pressure, i squeeze the grip as little as possible...i hold the grip like a dead-fish...just enough that my hand has some semblance on the weapon...but not enough to really influence the shot any.

Today I used some of the suggestions from various threads and ran a box of 140gr through my rpr 6.5 at 625 yards. I focused getting the gun "settled" on my bags, then on using only enough finger pressure to keep the stock nestled in my shoulder pocket, and on keeping my trigger finger "free", and at 90@. I was very pleased with the results, and am very grateful for all of the great advice and resources on this forum!