• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger gone crazy

Bob munden

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
I have 4 different remington 700s most with timney triggers, I just bought a new rifle and new trigger, the new trigger breaks very inconsistent, I tried to tune it, still erratic, so I figured it was the trigger, swapped triggers from a rifle I know works, problem stays with the new rifle, the new trigger works great in the old rifle, called timney they said to take .005 off the top of the sear, had a machine shop do it, problem still exists, so I figured maybe it had to to with the new rifles bolt, switched bolts from a new to old problem still there, does this mean the holes in the reciever were not drilled right? I'm lost, what do I do next, timney triggers said to send them the rifle and they would fix for free if it had to do with the trigger, problem does not seem to be the trigger! Possibly the operator!!!??? Never had this problem and don't want to again, before all the trigger swapping I sent back a perfectly good trigger to midway for a new one cause I thought it was the trigger, sorry midway the original trigger was fine!

Remove the action from the stock. Take the action and insure that it is level from from the breech to the to the muzzle, and side to side. Now check to see if the trigger is square to the action. It could possibly be canted and not square. If it is square with the action, install original factory trigger and see if that fixes the problem.

I had a Remington a few years back that the trigger was was mounted at an angle, although very minor, it was enough to cause an inconsistent pull.

Very good idea! I will check tomorrow and see if it is squared up, I did try it with the original mark trigger and it was very in consistant from the factory, I know those original we're not the most consistant to begin with that's why I didn't think anything of it when I first bought it plus I already knew I was gona put a new trigger in cause I have been more than happy with the timney set around 3-3 1/2, I'm not a gunsmith but I'm very familiar with most firearms and operation, what would be the best way to make sure it's square, just a gun vise and levels? If it is canted will it be real visible or should I take measurements to see if it's canted, and if it's canted how do i square it up? Sorry I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I want to shoot this new rifle but don't want to cause a in consistant trigger bothers me more than shitty factory ammo! I have a couple more of the remington 700 5r rifles and 2 700 police and they are very accurate for factory rifles, my trued up action is slightly more accurate but when I'm just practicing I like burning out the factory barrels and not my semi custom gun, I wish it wasn't so late I would check that trigger now

It looks as if the trigger is not squared up, the rear looks square the front looks like it is shifted very slightly to the left??? Any ideas on how to square it up?

It looks as if the trigger is not squared up, the rear looks square the front looks like it is shifted very slightly to the left??? Any ideas on how to square it up?

I had to have my local gunsmith, redrill, and tap the receiver. I did not trust myself with this. After that took care of the problem.