• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Trigger "Kit" for Ruger 77/22 and Kimber 82 Government

Stevo3556

Texas
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Houston, Texas
I tried searching these specific items on SH and the search engine wants to search each individual word. So sorry for asking a question that has probably been addressed MANY times.

I am spoiled by the triggers on my center fire rifles and want to upgrade and possibly compete with my .22's. Not sure which one and improving both triggers is not that expensive so I am asking for the best option of improving both of the listed triggers.

For the 77/22 I watched a video on the M Carbo trigger spring replacement and shim kit and noticed that there are other spring kits and shim kits as well as the Volquartsen new sear and spring. Bet there are a BUNCH of others as well.

I would love to hear what others have found to be the best options. Especially those who have tried several methods.

Thank you for your time!

Steve

X-Treme shooting sports makes an 82g trigger. This is the only 82g trigger I am aware of. I have not tried any of their products personally so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of how good they are and of whether they are worth the relatively high cost of $300. I do have a great deal of experience with 82g rifles. Some can be quite good. I have one that is substantially better than .5" @ 50yds. This degree of performance might well be worth putting a first rate trigger in even though the initial rifle cost was not all that much more. I do also know that the trigger included in the 82g is terribly inconsistent. Even carefully adjusted and lubed it has massive pull to pull variance in weights. You can see that in the pull weight table for various triggers I created as part of the Bix n' Andy review I did last year and which will also be used in a TriggerTech review this year.

I have not stoned an 82g trigger to see how much it can be improved. If you try that you should know this is something that must be approached with the knowledge that it is very easy to mess up resulting in an unsafe trigger.

Reactions: Stevo3556
Last edited:
X-Treme shooting sports makes an 82g trigger. This is the only 82g trigger I am aware of. I have not tried any of their products personally so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of how good they are and of whether they are worth the relatively high cost of $300. I do have a great deal of experience with 82g rifles. Some can be quite good. I have one that is substantially better than .5" @ 50yds. This degree of performance might well be worth putting a first rate trigger in even though the initial rifle cost was not all that much more. I do also know that the trigger included in the 82g is terribly inconsistent. Even carefully adjusted and lubed it has massive pull to pull variance in weights. You can see that in the pull weight table for various triggers I created as part of the Bix n' Andy review I did last year and which will also be used in a TriggerTech review this year.
View attachment 7081988
I have not stoned an 82g trigger to see how much it can be improved. If you try that you should know this is something that must be approached with the knowledge that it is very easy to mess up resulting in an unsafe trigger.

BJF,

Thank you very much for the data.

Good point, don't know if I would spend $300 on a trigger for the 82G. I think I may go shoot both of them today with some different ammo and see what kind of groups I can get out of them.

I shot my new 82G less than 5 times. I put a few .22LR Remington target loads in it and shot a small group on a piece of steel when I first received it 8 years ago. I really didn't intend for it to sit in the back of the safe, but it has...

When I watched the video on the 77/22 shim kit and replacement spring for $20 I figured I might find inexpensive kits for both.

Thank you,
Steve

I have used Jard and Spec-tech triggers in a 77/22.

I also have tried the Voltguarson adjustable sear.

One Jard is great, one Jard could not be adjusted without creep and overtravel.

The Spec-tech is adjustable for weight, enguagement, and overtravel, and works well. The new Spec-tech apears to have no overtravel.

The adjustable sear helps with creep, but nothing else.

The OEM trigger can be tuned into quite a nice trigger, but involves changing angles, drilling and tapping for overtravel., not something to do without a jig or a good understanding of how everything interacts.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ixture-adapter-ruger-77-22-trigger-and-searhe

The safety is fitted to the trigger and must be adjusted correctly when trigger work is done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevo3556
Thank you very much John. Great help. I found a distributor that has a Jard (#1084) on sale, think they are clearing them out. Was thinking leaning toward it since it has the adjustments and is a deal.

I did read an article on reworking the whole trigger. Not for me. I don't mind honing pieces and some fitting, but not totally redesigning the entire trigger group. I'm not a machinist. Would rather buy one that I know works. In the case of the 82G, not sure where I could replace parts that I messed up!

Steve