• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger pound pull

Understated_in_Accuracy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2014
I don't know if this would be a stupid question or not but would anyone use a trigger with less than 2 pounds of pull on a .308?

Exhale and pull the trigger...

Depends on the intended use and level of experience of the shooter. Going that light on a semi auto gas gun significantly raises the risk of a negligent discharge. If the rifle is for tactical/practical LR precision, and below 2 lbs I would recommend going with a two stage trigger or increase the pull weight.

It does all depend on your experience. I've been shooting a 1lb Trigger since I was 6 and I've never had a negligent discharge. I always beat my rifle around pretty hard and make sure it can't get bumped off. Then all I have to do is keep my finger out of the trigger guard till ready. In a match you only have the bolt closed when on target so a 1-2lb trigger is not an issue. To me 2#s is getting really heavy on a single stage trigger and any heavier I can't break it cleanly offhand or on movers or other unstable positions. On a 2 stage trigger on a bolt or semi 3lbs is no problem since you can take up the slack and sit at the breaking point for movers and offhand etc and then break at that point is usually around 1-2lbs.

I see, I can say that I've never competed in a match before but I plan on to once I get my own rifle, if I can not find another one suited for me on this site from vendors or sellers, I will go with a dpms and just mod it, I'm saving up for one of the jard triggers from midwayusa but since I've fired rifles with different trigger pull weights, I'm stuck between 1-1/2 and 2-1/2 lb. Thank you for your advice.

My two rigs are both at a very crisp 1.75+ pounds. I've had about a dozen or so guys shoot them and not once has anyone mentioned my triggers being to low. To me they feel closer to 2.5 plus pounds.

My Rem700 with Jewel trigger and Savage 110BA 338 feel same but they are roughly 2.25 to 2.5 pounds. May depend on trigger. Not sure.

All triggers tested with same Lyman.

sent via Tapatalk

Would that be a good trigger weight for shooting at 1000 yards and beyond?

What you are looking for is consistency. Factory triggers can be from 5-13lbs. I do not understand why so heavy. Lawyers? Bench rest guys with lead sleds and gun vices or ransom rests have triggers in single digit OZs. But theirs guns are bench queens. In the field a super light trigger is not consistent. 1.5-2.5 lbs is an average that practical shooters use because they can get consistent release in multiple positions. Standing, prone, barricade or whatever. Get consistent at 100-500 before moving up. Lobbing bullets at 1000+ yards with no consistency is wasting your time and ammo. Hitting the 1k 14" steel 3-20 is luck. Not skill.

Consistency is true and you have a point but I learn best with my farthest shot being almost a mile so lobbing without any consideration is not the right way for your statement to be said, no matter the weight of the trigger pull, hunting, tactical, or sporting use. Anyone can learn to pull any trigger while being consistent with practice. Correct me if I'm wrong. And with that being said, I can say that I have the slightest clue about what weight would be best suited for all around use and quick follow ups without doubling because I admit that I have doubled before on light triggers sometimes and I'm getting better at controlling it with recoil, I just want something light but effective without too many problems. So I am going to go with a trigger from jard that is 1-1/2 lb, single stage and adjustable if needed, last time I checked. Thank you for your advice. :)

Last edited:
I have no idea what you are trying to say. You mean you shoot at a mile first to learn how to shoot? You asked to original question and I answered why. I am confused.

Yes, the only interest I have in shooting in general is at a distance of a mile or less than that but I am not someone that starts small and work my way up because I prefer a challenge from the beginning even though I am still new to ballistics and ammunition. Bender, you have answered my question in your own opinion rather it's a fact or not. Thank you.

You want a challenge get a 22lr and start working your way out to 300 yards, or further.

Yes, the only interest I have in shooting in general is at a distance of a mile or less than that but I am not someone that starts small and work my way up because I prefer a challenge from the beginning even though I am still new to ballistics and ammunition.......

This says to me you don't want to learn. And are too stubborn.

Cary on.

This says to me you don't want to learn. And are too stubborn.

Cary on.
Probably reaching a single goal isn't considered learning to you but anything that has had to do with the knowledge of reaching that goal, is learning to me. Being stubborn or not has little to do with it as long as I'm persistent in a way that benefits me.

Your posts are hard to read - is English your primary language?

All my precision bolt guns are less than 2lbs.

Yes, the only interest I have in shooting in general is at a distance of a mile or less than that but I am not someone that starts small and work my way up because I prefer a challenge from the beginning

I can actually relate to this as this is similar attitude I have towards anything in life I put/set my mind to. Though I do have many BUTS in there.

I am curious, Q1: what is furthest distance you have shot thus far and how accurate were/are you at that distance. I myself am less than four years into this sport myself. I jumped from 100 yards straight to 1000 yards in less than a year. Considering I was only six months or so in at this point I was able to hit a 16 x 24 inch steel pretty consistently once I figured out my (FGMM 168) dope and made good wind calls. But still, so many things to learn at shorter distances before just staying at 1000 or even a mile for that matter. Maybe just me.

Lastly, when you get to a mile.
Q2: How large is steel/target you plan on hitting?
Q3: How consistent do you want to hit said target?
Q4: Do you want to be well within MOA at one mile or aiming at a 4 MOA target at a mile?

I had a custom .338 Lapua built as my caliber of choice with optics made for one mile to 2000 yards/meters. I can tell you my goal is to be well within one MOA and consistent when I get to that range - hopefully this October in VA. To hit every 10 plus shots or so is NOT what I personally am looking for.

Just my thoughts...

Tristian,

To answer your first question: furthest distance shot so far is 1500 yards, more or less, I took 3 shots with my friends ar-30 and I hit on the third, low from center mass and the first 2 shots were complete misses because the scope was not doped at that range, I started out shooting 1000+ yards a few months ago and I can say that you have more experience than I have by a few years then, the target was a cardboard box no bigger than 20 x 20(I think) and I can't read the wind that well yet but I am able hold over, being only a few months into shooting.

2.)The target that I am trying to hit would be at most a 10 x 10 or even smaller, I understand if there is a little to no chance in being that good of a shot if possible at a mile but I will do my best in learning what I can to get the closest I can to it.

3.)As far as consistency goes, I at least want to be able to put 15 out of 20 rounds on target at that range.

4.)Yes. To shoot at a mile target with accuracy, precision, and consistency is my goal, no matter how small or how big that target is.

I don't have my own weapon yet but I plan on getting a dpms sportical, .308 caliber, and then making modifications to it to shoot at that distance accurately along with having consistent groups without missing.

I think understated is a shill.

You should just buy a rail gun and the new electronic range / target shooter that will pull the trigger for you. Go ahead and hit something at 2 miles and then call it a day.

You obviously have this sense
That shooting is easy and you did it with your friends ar-30 and think that it wasn't shit.

You think that shooting at 600 yards ain't shit... Try it with a .223 with a 60x power scope I guarantee you won't have groups touching because you don't want to learn anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UiA, I'm not quite sure I'm following, so your new to distance shooting but want to shoot a .308 at 1k to 1 mile, and want to start at 1k, and want to know what trigger setting is best for a rifle you dont have yet, that will be a .308, and a gas gun at that?

Really? I simply asked a question on the weight of a trigger pull for a specific caliber and then someone always has to be judgemental to the point of ignoring the question that is being asked just because they want to state their opinion on how someone shoots.

First of all, I said nothing about thinking that shooting at a certain range is easy or hard for me to do because I haven't shot at anything less than 1,000 yards with or without it being difficult.

Second, I shoot what I prefer to shoot just like everyone else, caliber wise because I started shooting with a .308, that doesn't mean that I will stop anytime soon.

Third, if I hit something at 2 miles away, with any rifle or scope, you will be the first to know. :)

Once again, thank you for your advice and opinion. And I could care less of what you think of me, the rifles that I fire myself, or anything else that has been mentioned on this thread, I'm only asking certain questions to learn about that specific topic that the question holds, have a nice day.

I have to be more specific when I mention stuff, being new to rifles and ballistics in general can be confusing when I shoot at certain distances already.

Trigger pull isn't caliber specific, it's rifle, purpose, and shooter specific.

Everyone is ragging on you because of what you say your trying to do, which is out of the norm and most likely not probable. A 308 beyond 1k yards is already getting sketchy, add a Semi auto platform, and beyond that everything becomes more luck related then skill. Especially given the platform you want to use, regardless of how many bolt on yoy add to it. Combine that with a target that is below MOA sized at that distance, and what you want for a hit rate, you're going to waste a lot of money.

I suggest doing some research to see what it takes caliber, rifle, and shooter wise.

There's a reason why we learn at short distances and not long, because you can actually learn, you hitting the target once at 1500 yards with an AR10 was luck. And given that you saw were your misses hit I would say you were more then likely no where near 1500 yards.

UIA Do you know anyone shooting a .308 at a mile? I read a thread somewhere that a guy (just for kicks) put a car hood at a mile and then proceeded to hit it at a mile with a .308. Im sure he is not the first one to do it and wont be the last but he used all the elevation in his scope, I think he had around 60 MOA, and then used another 30 MOA with his reticle. (something close to this anyway) After walking in the shot he finally did hit the hood at 1 mile with a .308. So it can be done. This guy was just doing it at a private range one day to have some fun. I don't think I would build a .308 with the goal in mind to hit small targets at a mile. Unless you are just into that kind of stuff.

My 2 cents...............

I can unequivocally say for certain that .308 can not be shot the distances you speak of. I would suggest a 338 Lapua for the distances you seek.

I'm new to rifles and ballistics(meaning I do not know much) the shot I took was around 1500 yards, 2 misses and 1 hit, the dope was not set at that range so each shot, I adjusted the elevation and held over, I know that starting out at 1000+ yards is not the best idea and the caliber of my choice doesn't seem to help the matter.
Trigger wise, I've pulled heavy to light and can't make up my mind on which to choose so I have decided to order an adjustable jard trigger. Anything else that I haven't covered?

I gave you a very direct answers about trigger pull. You made this thread into what it is. You got sound advice and got butt hurt over it because you were given instruction to crawl,walk,run. But you came in telling us all you sprint and then ask what trigger weight should be on a gas gun you don't own? Please. Enlighten me again as how any of this makes sense. Did you shoot 1500yd on Call of Duty or something? Are you 15?

I'm new to rifles and ballistics(meaning I do not know much) the shot I took was around 1500 yards, 2 misses and 1 hit, the dope was not set at that range so each shot, I adjusted the elevation and held over, I know that starting out at 1000+ yards is not the best idea and the caliber of my choice doesn't seem to help the matter.
Trigger wise, I've pulled heavy to light and can't make up my mind on which to choose so I have decided to order an adjustable jard trigger. Anything else that I haven't covered?

No, this says it all.

I'm actually 18 and butt hurt, not really because of the simple fact that I made a shot, you all blow it out of proportion, yes, I don't own a rifle yet because I'm saving up for it and modifications as well to make shots at that distance. I give up on this thread because apparently, my words don't make any sense or I'm just talking ignorantly. Whatever it may be.

I shot one time at 2.4 miles, i missed and got killed but it was on sniper elite V3 Afrika Corp. I think the trigger pull on that 308 was .0001 ounce.

In all seriousness, if you want to try this my advice is to order a TR.Net rifle, that'll be the ONLY rifle capapble of shooting 308 holes on top of themselves at 1 mile

I shot one time at 2.4 miles, i missed and got killed but it was on sniper elite V3 Afrika Corp. I think the trigger pull on that 308 was .0001 ounce.

In all seriousness, if you want to try this my advice is to order a TR.Net rifle, that'll be the ONLY rifle capapble of shooting 308 holes on top of themselves at 1 mile

Don't do this, I wouldn't give those guys business and I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to do buisness with those scumbags.