• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger pull

perazzisc3

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2011
Sunrise, Fl
What is the optimal trigger weight on your precision rifles (.223 & .308) or what is best for you or what experts recommend.

Re: Trigger pull

It depends on what you're doing with it? Bench rest or range day guys can run a much light pull than move and shoot comps or hunting. I have a 700good with a 1.5 trigger for range stuff but most of my comp guns are around 3 lbs. I've shot a gun with a several ounce trigger. Too light for me

Thanks for your response.
I guess I will try a happy medium and go with 2 - 2.5 lbs and see what happens.

2.5lbs, I sometimes shoot in gloves and often with compromised sensation in the fingers from the elements, I want to feel the trigger before the rifle goes off. And shit happens, the higher the pull the more significant a bump snag or whatever would have to be to fire the rifle, never had it happen, but I don't want it to either.

I will usualy remove all of the creep in the trigger and then take the weight down as far as it will go until the hammer starts falling when I bump the rifle hard and go a little stiffer until it stops. This gives me the lowest setting I can work with safely and I just snap-cap until I find a weight I like above my lower limit.

I like that method of finding a good trigger pull weight.
After putting barrel action back into stock have you ever noticed a change in pull weight?

i shoot around 3lbs in my hunting rifles. ive gone as low as 2 lbs. i love them all, but with gloves on the 2lber was really really light