• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

trigger question

losthelegend

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
South Western Wyoming
I have an AR15 and am looking to upgrade my trigger. What trigger would you guys suggest and what will I gain from upgrading compared to my stock trigger? Do I need a gunsmith to install or am I able to do the work myself? Thanks for your time!

Re: trigger question

First, it all depends on what kind of shooting you are doing as to which particular trigger may be best. Certain competition shooting events require a certain weight of pull, etc. If you are just "plinking"...then anything goes.

Second, the trigger you select will dictate whether you want to have a professional install it for you. Many improved, match-type triggers are "drop-in" and can be installed by anyone with familiarity with disassembly/reassembly of an AR lower. Others, such as some highly adjustable triggers, may require a pro depending on your level of experience and comfort with the job.

I always recommend the Giessele triggers. They are first-rate, and arguably one of the best triggers on the market. They run $250+ for a fully adjustable, 2-stage unit while they offer a non-adjustable match trigger for around $170. Also take a look at the Timney 1pc drop-in trigger units. These are another excellent trigger option, available in 3lb and 4lb versions, both for around $180.

I will always recommend the CG AR15 trigger...and to boot there is a group buy on them right now....just sayin

3lb Timney in my opinion...works great.

Takes 5 minutes to install. The others mentioned above will definitely get the job done as well. They are all great triggers...just depends on what you want to do with it.

My AR15 triggers, from the CMT parts kit, have all been fairly gritty. I sent them to http://www.triggerwork.net/ for a tune-up, they came back great.

It's no Giessele or Timney/POF, but it's only $40-60.

Hard to argue with the Timney. I have the 4 pound, and I like it a great deal. I prefer single stage, but YMMV.

Regards,

Matt

I have the 3 lb Timney on my newly built ar, great trigger and fast and easy install.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AR15 triggers, from the CMT parts kit, have all been fairly gritty. I sent them to http://www.triggerwork.net/ for a tune-up, they came back great.

It's no Giessele or Timney/POF, but it's only $40-60.
</div></div>

+1, Sent my stock DPMS trigger to Bill Springfield, very impressed. And it was only $54 for him to work on it..

I've had good results with just using the drop in RRA 2-stage NM triggers. They probably don't even compare to Timney triggers and the like, but they work well for my purposes, and they're fairly inexpensive.

I just pulled out a RRA NM trigger from one of my AR's because it doubled twice. I put in a DPMS trigger, didn't really like it, so I googled AR15 trigger job and followed the directions. While it isn't as nice as my Jewel triggers, it is much better than stock and acceptable.
myerfire

I have JP triggers in 2 guns, a Jard in 1, and a really good factory trigger in one. The Jard is the lightest and, I think, the crispest (is that a word?). It is perfect for a precision rifle that would be shot off of a bipod or a bench, but a little too light for me to shoot standing position accurately. The JP triggers are more conventional and there is a very slight caming feel to them, but I really like them. Light and fast, perfect for positional shooting. The factory trigger (a very good one mind you) is perfect for my 22 and my Tokerov. Something special about carry handles, irons, and that military trigger.

I have a couple with Jewel triggers and I really like them. Easy to install and easy to adjust.

Timney 3lb competition is outstanding and my favorite. Takes about 15 minutes to put in (dummy proof instructions w/ diagram included).

I have two Bill Springfield tuned triggers (sent mine away and were done for around $50 each). Very nice feel and I have had no problems with them. Not quite what my timneys are, but for $50 instead of $200 and if budget is a concern, they improve shooting greatly.