• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger Upgrade

Tex51

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2019
Paris, TX
Savage MSR 10 semi auto in 6.5 and want to up grade the trigger. Any one got any Ideas for a good trigger for mainly target shooting but I will sometimes hunt with this rifle. I like a lighter trigger pull than what is in this rifle. New to the auto rifle world and the AR10 style rifle.

I've had a few triggers over the years and I've never been a "trigger snob". Usually I rocked the stock trigger....till i got into precision rigs, then all that went out the window.

Imo, the LaRue MBT is the "new" RRA 2 stage. The RRA was THE go-to trigger for a quality 2 stage for decades. I have 3 MBT's and like them. Usually they are a place holder for something else (usually a Geissele HSNM). I do have a permanent 1 in my 22lr AR and my 10.5" AR and really like them. I also have HSNM in 3 precision rigs (223, 224V, and 308). I did have an SSA-E for a short time, but someone wanted to trade straight up for their HSNM.

If you just want an upgrade over the stock trigger but not go to the extreme as a HSNM, then I'd say MBT based on price alone. Dont get me wrong, any of the Geissele's are great but since the MBTs are $50 less, they are a great value.

Reactions: Mike 556
another vote for Geissele as a do it all trigger. I have a Hyperfire Eclipse in my 556 CLE barreled rifle and it's amazing, but might be a little too light for hard field use. before you buy anything I'd call the manufacturer to confirm compatibility with your MSR...

Savage MSR 10 semi auto in 6.5 and want to up grade the trigger. Any one got any Ideas for a good trigger for mainly target shooting but I will sometimes hunt with this rifle. I like a lighter trigger pull than what is in this rifle. New to the auto rifle world and the AR10 style rifle.
I put a POF trigger in my gas gun and really like it. Its relatively inexpensive, set at 3.5#, single stage (I like them) and a flat shoe. Just a thought.

If you prefer single stage triggers, Geissele SSP or the POF drop-in. Never had an issue with either.

If you prefer two stage triggers, hard to beat a Larue MBT for under $100.

Good luck with your upgrade.

I concur.

They just work!
Even when filthy or frozen.

I agree as well. The Geissele SSA-E is my favorite. Have over a dozen installed. The second stage let off is incredibly light and crisp.(y)

The Laue gen 2 MBT is a decent trigger but not as nice as the Geissele, even though its much less expensive. If your on a tight budget that is a decent alternative.

AGL Defense's ACT (Advance Combat Trigger) for $69 can't be beat for the money and performance. I normally run Geissele Hi-Speed NM's, I just broke one in my OBR (probably +40k rounds) and I'm replacing it with the ACT its that good.

If you prefer single stage triggers, Geissele SSP or the POF drop-in. Never had an issue with either.

If you prefer two stage triggers, hard to beat a Larue MBT for under $100.

Good luck with your upgrade.

I’m a huge Geissele fan and run them in all of my Semiauto guns.
The only one that I ever had trouble with was the SSP in my LMT MWS.
It would not reset.
Contacted Geissele and was told that they had not tested the SSP in AR-10 pattern rifles.

I know that some people have been able to use them in AR-10’s, but given that there really isn’t a common spec for the big block guns, I have no idea if it will work in the Savage.

I’m running the Hi-Speed DMR in my MWS and I love it.

If you don’t want to mess around installing an adjustable trigger, the SSA-E is a great option.

Tex51 this was a question to you?
I referred to Rebel by mistake.
Do you know the weight of your MSR trigger?
Mine is 3 lbs 1st stage 2lbs 2nd stage.
I changed mine to a SD-E which is 2 lbs first stage and 1.2 second stage.
Seems that the Larue just duplicates the factory MSR's? IDK.

Last edited:
I've got a Geissele SD-E in my SBR and a Timney CE 1.5# in my LR gas gun, and I have been very happy with both. I prefer the CE for dedicated precision work, but it might be a bit light for your uses. A Geissele SSA-E or SD-E might be just the ticket.

From what we've seen with the SSP it's a bit more finicky with 308's. The lack of a universal spec like a mil-spec in 308 AR's can lead to a much wider tolerance range. Typically if the carrier rides on the taller end then there may not be enough meat there to properly depress the hammer to engage the disco reliably.

That having been said there are guys out there that use them successfully however when it comes to our triggers and 308's the SSAE/SDE for precision builds and the SSA/SDC for battle rifle set ups tends to lead the pack.

Hey Rudy Gonsior shoot us an email over at [email protected] about that broken HSNM trigger so we can take care of that!

-GACS

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Get a Larue for 87$, very crisp break and they just came out with a flatbow if that's your style (still 87$)

Reactions: Spblademaker
Rebel, do you know the weight of your MSR trigger?

You mean MBT? I have not measured it as my dad as the scale right now. Could it have been lighter, maybe a little, but I was still pleased with it. I bought 3 but haven’t taken the time to change them all out to compare them to each other yet.

If you're willing to spend, the SSAE is better than the Larue. MB2T has a wider, flatter trigger face and I prefer it to the SSA in a self defense/combat role.

In a precision build Geissele definitely has the edge.

You mean MBT? I have not measured it as my dad as the scale right now. Could it have been lighter, maybe a little, but I was still pleased with it. I bought 3 but haven’t taken the time to change them all out to compare them to each other yet.

My mistake Rebel!
That was a question to Tex51. Sorry

I have aftermarket triggers in all my AR’s and of the ones I have my Hiperfire triggers are my favorite. If you keep an eye out you can usually find them on sale. I bought several while Brownell had the elite model on sale for $99 but even at $190 I would still buy it if I needed a trigger. If you are looking for a 2 stage trigger Brownell has the Geissele 2 Stage Enhanced Trigger on sale for $145 with %10 off and free shipping right now which is a great deal also. At that price I would probably buy that over the Hiperfire at $190 right now.

Tex51 this was a question to you?
I referred to Rebel by mistake.
Do you know the weight of your MSR trigger?
Mine is a single stage trigger and it does have some creep in the pull. I have not checked the pull lbs. I just bought this Savage MSR 10 in 6.5 creedmoor, and did go to the range and shot a few rounds with this rifle.

Last edited:
Try the Timney CE. You won’t be disappointed. It’s a little pricey, but if you ever use one, you’ll never go back.

Larue for the budget minded, Geissele if money doesn't matter so much. Geissele triggers do go on sale if you are patient.

Try the Timney CE. You won’t be disappointed. It’s a little pricey, but if you ever use one, you’ll never go back.
If you want a single stage trigger and dont care about the cost, this is the answer. Refitting all my guns with them gets costly though.

Yes they are a little pricey, but worth it. I’m doing my long range ARs one at a time. I also have JP, CMC, and Jard, but the Timney is head and shoulders above them all. Keeping the JPs for my 3g rifles. Little bit of a different game.

I have spent a lot on an SR Gold, spent a little on the Larue and Rise RA135 and spent very little on a few 15 minute trigger jobs.

I don't think the money I spent on the SR Gold gave much improvement over the budget triggers, it just might make it a tiny bit more consistent and a bit lighter.

The 15 minute trigger job is well worth the effort if you want a smoother pull than a plain LPK trigger.

The RRA two stage was never really quality, they were known for wearing out fairly quickly. The Larue seems to be much better in terms of the materials and probably heat treat. I think mine feel more consistent than the RRA and side by side the Larue just looks more finished, probably EDM cut compared to surface ground with worn out stones.

There is not a whole lot of difference between a cheap drop in trigger and middle of the road. My $70 RA135 is very close in feel to my $140 Chip McCormic. The $200+ segment seems to have some noticably better drop ins but I look at most as competition use (faster, not lighter) or if you are just trying to build an AR with zero excuses.

I'm not sure on the whole Giselle thing, I've shot a few and they are ok, nothing too special. I would rather try a Trigger tech Diamond, an Elftmann or one of the other high end drop ins at that price range.