• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trijicon Accupoint - Reticle Color

AMG04

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I've been looking into the Trijicon Accupoint line of hunting scopes for my general purpose hunting rig. I do a lot of hog hunting in low light conditions and was wondering what color reticle people have had the best luck with. This rifle will also see use when deer hunting in TX and Elk hunting in Colorado.

Does red stand out the best against natural backdrops? How visible is the yellow against the hide of an elk or whitetail? Any first hand experience would be appreciated.

Cheers,

I have the TR20-2G on my SCAR 17 which I use for hog hunting, typically in low light. That is the the 3-9x40 with the Green MIL-DOT reticle. This reticle with the small green dot is perfect for low light hunting, and several of my buddies use this exact same scope with lots of success on their hunting rigs as well.

I have the TR24R on another rifle, that is the 1-4x with the red triangle. The red stands out more in bright sunlight, and it's easy to pick it up quickly in daylight, but for low light hunting I like the green MIL-DOT reticle in the TR20 much better.

Amber seemed to be the weakest color. When looking through it, even in the store, it didn't seem as bright as red or green and it washed out against background colors more easily.

11209097865_a3e676cebc_z.jpg

11210560256_5c307735ce.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. I was leaning towards the green MIL-Dot reticle or the green triangle-post.

I have had the green and amber reticle. The green works much better for me, easier to see and faster to pick up. No experience with the red.

I felt like the red would be quicker for me so that is what I bought.

I have the triangle.

This also has a lot of do with how your eyes work with colors. As I have numerous Aimpoints I find my eyes definitely pick up on red more quickly than any other color. My eyes are drawn to it. I have not worked with green as much but I have friends who use it and they seem to like it so if you have the chance go check them both out and see how your eyes pick up the colors.

I run the accupoint 1x4 green with the german #4 on my DD 300 blackout. This is setup for hog hunting and it is a perfect combo. The glass is crystal clear and the center green dot is very quick to pick up.

Thanks guys. The 3-9x40 with the green mildot is at the top of my list right now. I have always like the German #4 reticle, I just wish it was in the 3-9x40.

I'll start with the 3-9x40 for my 308, then if I get a nice Christmas bonus I may pick up a 1-4 to slap on my 300blk sbr.

Your eye is more sensitive to green and for lowlight hunting you'll find the green to be a tad brighter. The mil-dot reticle with the green dot is a great combo.

I'm about to pick up a 1-4 with triangle for my little Tikka T3 300 Blackout bolt rifle using some of my Xmas cash!

I have been running either an Aimpoint Pro or Micro T1 on it for some time, however I use my 300 BLK AR with a Micro T1 (2 MOA) for both day and night use with my PVS14 set up. (Thank you Mod Armory!) for a lot of my 300 use on hogs and other assorted vermin.

Thought the bolt gun would be a bit better with some illumination and magnification. I'll mount the Trijicon Accupoint in some QD mounts that work with my rail on the T3 BLK so I can switch back to the Micro if the need arises. I have checked the return to zero on the Micro several times already and have had no issues with POI change. The Micro is mounted in a Larue low QD mount now and will stay in that one.

Hopefully I'll have the same luck with the Accupoint and return to zero. Guess I have to wade through 3' of snow to my range for some testing…..

I cannot speak for the 3-9 but I have both an amber triangle and a red for in 2x20 Mini Acogs. The triangle is better than the dot as it allows more precision but for those two colors I prefer the amber just a hair.

Let us know what you think, I've pondered the green mil dot for a coyote hunting rig.

I wanted to follow up with everyone here and share my results.

I purchased the 3-9x40 with a green mil-dot reticle. This past weekend I had the opportunity to take a nice size hog right at dusk. The scope pulled in plenty of light to see and the green dot was bright and had great contrast against the black hog. Ear holed it for a nice DRT.

Later I went back out for some night hunting as the moon was pretty bright. The glass clarity on this scope surpassed my expectations. With only the moon and stars I was able to pick up a raccoon that had been vandalizing my feeder at 120 yds. He also took a shot to the head, DRT.

If anyone has been looking to buy one of these, don't wait any longer. It is a really nice, light weight and compact hunting scope.