• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trijicon RMR on AR

loveha

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 31, 2018
    NW Lower Michigan
    Wasn't sure where to put this, felt more relevant here.
    I came into possession of a Trijicon RMR Type 2 because of a shipping mess up.
    I have been debating on buying a Scalarworks mount for it and running it on one of my AR's. Is it worth it, or just hold onto it till I have a handgun that can run it? If I need something like it for a rifle, I already have an Eotech that I use for 300 Blk subs.

Not big into pistols, and the two I have I would not run it on. Citadel 1911 and Walther PPS M2. Looking at a PPQ maybe for it? Would rather save the money though to clear land for my rifle range and food plot in the spring next year. (400x100 Yards)

Mount, keep, sell? Thoughts, suggestions?

I’ve tried it on a 300blk SBR. I wasn’t a fan of the setup. Most red dots for rifles are 2moa in size with some now even being 1moa. My rmr is 3.25moa and that was too big for my taste on a rifle.

The FOV is small, and the dot is bigger which means the further away you’re the worse the dot obscures the target. This is why it’s popular for PCC guns because your engagements are within typical pistol ranges.

Hence why rmr sights are mounted on top of ACOG’s or 45* offset from magnified optics for use within closer range and no eye relief issues.

Example: I used it at a 2-gun match where they had small pieces of steel at 70 yards away that you engaged with rifle. The 3.25moa dot size really slowed me down on the small steel. The dot was covering the entire circle plates and spotting my rounds hitting the berm was next to impossible due to the lack of FOV.

I would stick with it being used within what it’s designed for which is a pistol caliber sight or secondary optic on a rifle caliber.

Reactions: Mayday Malone
    Thank you for confirming all of my suspicions on everything you said. I have thought about running it as an off set, but would rather just run a set of irons for that. Think I may go ahead and try to sell it. Put the money towards another peice of gear, could use a chronograph.

Thank you for confirming all of my suspicions on everything you said. I have thought about running it as an off set, but would rather just run a set of irons for that. Think I may go ahead and try to sell it. Put the money towards another peice of gear, could use a chronograph.

Do you shoot in low light conditions? If so, iron sights suck for that. If you really wanted an offset sight, the rmr would be much more useful vs the irons in my opinion.

No, any time I would probably use it if I mounted any would be day time.
    Already decided to put it up for sale anyways.

I know some guys that run rmr’s on carbines and do well with it. I personally am not a fan of it and prefer a full size red dot or holo sight if im not going lvpo. Im sure it’s probably because I haven’t put the time in with one on a rifle to really get comfortable with it. As has been said already, they are just a little small and smaller fov for my liking.

I like it on top of my ACOG-but you have to train with it due to the small FOV. It's probably doable as a stand alone red dot but I would never want to do it over a full size red dot-especially the MRO. Great little optic though.

Well, I run the 1-8 NX8, and if I just wanted a straight up red dot, I could pull my Eotech from another rifle.
    I know holding onto an optic is not like mounting and looking through one, but just finding the dot at any distance from my eye was a pain. I'm sure with practice with bringing the rifle up, I could get a consistent sight alignment, but it is just to small in my opinion to run as a main optic like you all have said.

I was just looking for confirmation bias. Thank you.

The only real application I found where a RMR / SRO type optic works is a 45 degree offset sight for game guns. Shooting around a left lean wall with the 45 offset is much easier, but it's kind of a bunch of $ for a small advantage. Some 3 gunners in Open division run them as an up close optic on the 45 offset with a 1-n variable power on top. Gamers and the things they do.

If you don't shoot USPSA, just drop it on a pistol instead. You would be much happier with a MRO style optic with a bigger window.
    A_Shorty.JPG

Why is this tacked? People have been using RMR's on AR15's for many years not exactly new information.

I have an RMR mounted on an SBR’d S&W 15-22. I used the RMR to keep it as light as possible. I find the FOV to be similar to an aimpoint, but prefer an EO Tech if weight isn’t a concern.

I used one for PCC in USPSA. Every other RDS that I own for rifle use is full size. RMRs aren't as sturdy as the full size and really aren't meant for hard carbine use unless it's a range gun that doesn't see hard use. (I've broken two type 2 RMRs and a L DPP on various carbine/vehicle courses)

However on a handgun where it's designed to be, it really shines. I personally switched to DPP for all my handguns.

I used an Insight MRDS on the 12 o clock Wilcox ring mount on a Mk12Mod1 and a RMR ontop of an ACOG in Afghanistan. Both worked well and were in a position I could quickly get on and only had to drill, instead of the weird holds required for 45 degree offset mounts and shit hanging off the sides.

They make top rail stand alone mounts for the RMR now, for a reason. It's a mostly parallax free red dot inside a housing; not much different than an Aimpoint or MRO. They actually have less housing surrounding them than the older Aimpoints do.

Only thing I'd make sure of is that you have a model where you can control the brightness setting and the setting isn't 'self setting' as there are a few situations where you need a brighter/less bright dot and the unit doesn't light it up enough or lights it up too much.

Reactions: Docsherm
    Late chiming in, but here goes anyways.

I have two - one on my STI 4.0 and one on my AR-10. AR-10 has a scope and the RMR is mounted on a 45 degree Trijicon mount (ejection side, just to the rear of the brass deflector on the receiver.

Ran a tactical course last year that had targets at 10 to 400 yards. RMR (or really any good dot at a 45 degree offset to the scope) is an invaluable tool in those situations.

Alone on an AR..not so much. MUCH better dot choices for that.

Just my $0.02.

John

Late chiming in, but here goes anyways.

I have two - one on my STI 4.0 and one on my AR-10. AR-10 has a scope and the RMR is mounted on a 45 degree Trijicon mount (ejection side, just to the rear of the brass deflector on the receiver.

Ran a tactical course last year that had targets at 10 to 400 yards. RMR (or really any good dot at a 45 degree offset to the scope) is an invaluable tool in those situations.

Alone on an AR..not so much. MUCH better dot choices for that.

Just my $0.02.

John
    What dot size (1 or 3.25 MOA) would you recommend for an RMR mounted as a backup for quick shooting in a 45 degree mount?

Looking at a similar setup as you on an AR with 1-6 LPVO that also sees low light shooting and shooting under NODS.

Thanks,
    JG

What dot size (1 or 3.25 MOA) would you recommend for an RMR mounted as a backup for quick shooting in a 45 degree mount?

Looking at a similar setup as you on an AR with 1-6 LPVO that also sees low light shooting and shooting under NODS.

Thanks,
    JG

I have a 3.25 RMR on my G19 and under nods the dot is pretty small. I’m actually thinking about going up in size overall.

Wasn't sure where to put this, felt more relevant here.
    I came into possession of a Trijicon RMR Type 2 because of a shipping mess up.
    I have been debating on buying a Scalarworks mount for it and running it on one of my AR's. Is it worth it, or just hold onto it till I have a handgun that can run it? If I need something like it for a rifle, I already have an Eotech that I use for 300 Blk subs.

Not big into pistols, and the two I have I would not run it on. Citadel 1911 and Walther PPS M2. Looking at a PPQ maybe for it? Would rather save the money though to clear land for my rifle range and food plot in the spring next year. (400x100 Yards)

Mount, keep, sell? Thoughts, suggestions?

I'd generally only run it on an SBR 45 degree offset mount with either an LPVO or dot/holographic with a 3-5x magnifier, or a PCC carbine of some sort. Otherwise it would be on a handgun.

If you don't see yourself using it in that manner, I'd sell it or trade for something you want/need.

I'd like to raise the question again about what dot size is recommended for using an RMR as a backup with a LPVO. It will be mounted in the TREX offset mount at a 35° angle.

I'm thinking the larger the dot, the easier it will for my eye to pick it up quickly and since the RMR is a back up or quick sight for closer ranges, the larger dot would not be an impediment for combat accuracy.

Thoughts?

I'd like to raise the question again about what dot size is recommended for using an RMR as a backup with a LPVO. It will be mounted in the TREX offset mount at a 35° angle.

I'm thinking the larger the dot, the easier it will for my eye to pick it up quickly and since the RMR is a back up or quick sight for closer ranges, the larger dot would not be an impediment for combat accuracy.

Thoughts?

The trend is smaller dots not bigger.

Funny thing about this thread, is the OP, being me, sold it ages ago.
    This thread just keeps getting revived...

I do, and am considering putting one on there if I feel the absolute need for something besides my TA31.

My question, FWIW, has to do with mounting a RMR at the 1:00/35° position on my LPVO on my AR-15 rifle, and asking what dot size would be best for that.

What dot size do you like on your handgun or general rifle mounted RDS?

I’m thinking 1 MOA. Reason is that at the brightest setting it’ll look a bit larger. When I had a 3.25 RMR, I did not like how large the dot seemed at max brightness. I’ll hopefully install my 1 MOA RMR on my CZ Shadow 2 today and see how I like the smaller dot.

I can only assume if you like X.X MOA on a handgun, it’d translate to rifle.