• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimming process for .308 win

l115a3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
After finished from shooting, what should I start with my fired brass?

I currently running my brass preparation steps as following;

De-primed
Cleaning with Ultra Sonic
Inspecting case and Lube with Imperial wax
Full Lenght sizing (-0.001 from fired case)
Trimming to 2.005
Chamfer & Debur
Storage in Topper ware for next reload

Please advise do my steps is fine? Or should I changed?

If I only neck sizing instead of Full Lenght sizing, Do I need to change my step?

Re: Trimming process for .308 win

i still like to tumble my brass first before it hits the press.

There is nothing wrong with your process if it's working

427 hit it. I would tumble or clean just to get the lube off before storing, but otherwise, your process looks sound.

Do I need to neck sizing before trim?

The neck has to be sized before you trim, otherwise your pilot is loose in the case.
If you're using a universal de-capping die before sizing, you 're just wasting time and labor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're using a universal de-capping die before sizing, you 're just wasting time and labor. </div></div>

I would disagree with that. If he's using an ultrasonic cleaner it's good to deprime before doing that or you dont get your primer pockets cleaned

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tofst4u2no</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would disagree with that. If he's using an ultrasonic cleaner it's good to deprime before doing that or you dont get your primer pockets cleaned </div></div>
Yes, I saw that in his post after I posted.
Can't one clean after sizing though? The lube still needs to come off.

Guess it would really depend on how dirty the brass is. If it's real dirty I wouldnt want to run it through my dies before cleaning. If it's fairly clean you could probably get away with sizing/depriming before cleaning. Just my newbie opinion though
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1b1c1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i still like to tumble my brass first before it hits the press. </div></div>
Yup
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing wrong with your process if it's working </div></div>
Yup

I always tumble mine last, before storage/loading, to clean off sizing lube. Decap and ultrasonic before sizing.

Is it a problem to have sizing lube on your case? I clean them both before and after sizing, but always understood that to be just cosmetic.

If you don't have much neck expansion you can trim first but if you're neck sizing youre not going to get much stretch anyways. My 308 brass don't get very dirty but if it does I tumble it for about 20-40 mins, neck size(no need for lube during that process unless you're using a FL sizer), I have both NS only & FL sizer, then I use Hornady's Unique lube, cheaper than Imperial and super slick, don't need much of it, that's for sure, clean the primer pockets, throw in the tumbler for another 20 mins to get lube off, if I have to trim I do it after everything else, have'nt had to trim my lapua brass yet after 3 firings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a problem to have sizing lube on your case? I clean them both before and after sizing, but always understood that to be just cosmetic. </div></div>

Yes. You don't want sizing lube buildup in your chamber.

I have also found that case lube gets tacky over time and has a habit of attracting dirt and crud. Not ideal to run into the chamber of your gun. A quick run will remove it.

I clean using iosso case polish with lizzard bedding I use a WFT trimmer, chamfer/debur than neck turn. 50 cases done in 30 minutes. I FL size (only on brand new brass neck size thereafter) I currently use a 750 tempil stick at the base of the neck to anneal. When the grease melt the case is annealed.

I'm happy with ultrasonic cleaning but one problem that make problem was all brass will change from shiny to un-shiny after 1 night.

Do anyone have some trick to keep it shiny?

Some recommend to tumble after all process for shiny look. Which tumble media is proper for this purpose?

• Corn Cob
• Tuff Nut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TenZero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a problem to have sizing lube on your case? I clean them both before and after sizing, but always understood that to be just cosmetic. </div></div>

Yes. You don't want sizing lube buildup in your chamber. </div></div>
Sorry but the real reason you HAVE to clean the lube off is because when you fire the round, the design of the gun and case is that the case is suppose to expand and grip the chamber wall, this allows the force inside the case to be held in by the sides of the chamber walls. If you leave lube on the case, the case will slip backwards when the round fires and this will put a lot of pressure against the bolt face which is dangerous and not what it is designed to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Golfy Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm happy with ultrasonic cleaning but one problem that make problem was all brass will change from shiny to un-shiny after 1 night.

Some recommend to tumble after all process for shiny look. Which tumble media is proper for this purpose?

• Corn Cob
• Tuff Nut </div></div>
All you need to do is to rinse the case really well and dry it.

If you are concerned about tarnish on the brass, I clean mine with stainless,rinse well with water, then rinse again with rubbing alcohol, then dry in sun (summer) or on tennis shoe rack in dryer. The alcohol will last for several treatments.

Will the hot water can reduce tarnish?

Looks good. Are you trimming every firing? I only hit mine when it gets to max. Never had any troubles with that and rifle is still consistent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Golfy Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm happy with ultrasonic cleaning but one problem that make problem was all brass will change from shiny to un-shiny after 1 night.

• Corn Cob
• Tuff Nut </div></div>

http://www.iosso.com/MivaStore/merchant....ode=GunCleaning
+ Walnut media =Shiny shiny brass that doesn't tarnish.

I'm using Wilson Trimmer w/Micrometer for trim fired brass.

So, can I trimming process before FL Sizing? Because this trimming tool do not use pilot as other brand. They use their trmming holder.

De-Primed
Cleaning
Trimming
FL Sizing

Try this: Measure 5 cases before sizing and then again after sizing. Have they grown at all? I would think that would answer you question on when to trim.

-Shaky