• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Ball Head vs. dirt, rain, etc.

Tchitcherine

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2014
CA
I'm looking for advice & experience using and maintaining tripod ball head units in the field, i.e. exposed to dirt, rain, snow, mud, crud. Specifically interested in RRS BH-55, but I suspect same concern applies to others. What steps can be taken to reduce contamination & prevent grinding the ball and/or socket? And what is the best method to clean the thing out if it does get dusted, wet, etc.?

My approach has been to wipe clean with wet rag, once totally clean I have put a drop of WD-40 on a cloth and given the ballhead a very light wipedown to keep it running smooth. I know that the gear is super rugged and can handle it, my buddies have had their RRS tripods/heads in full blown death valley sandstorms and they are still trucking strong.

MPHReallyRightStuff could probably give some more specific recommendations.

I run my RRS tripods in severe weather, snow/rain//general crud. They have operated flawlessly. Depending on conditions the leveling base occasionally gets a little squeaky and not as smooth at times. I use this on the leveling base, works fabulous.

http://www.scorpionvenom-archery.com/target-arrow-release-fluid/

A little bit goes a long way and keeps that base moving silently and like silk. Very slick stuff, does not collect dust/dirt.

Have only wiped my ball heads with a soft cloth.

When I was running my Manfrotto ballhead a while back I only cleaned it when it started grinding. And at the time I was only rinsing it out with water, before I learned to fully disassemble it enough to give it a proper cleaning. I wasn't taking very good care of the ballheads. The sand did give it a nice rough surface, however they still worked properly, it just wasn't the smoothest action to pan and tilt.

A good wipe down of any sand or dust will be fine. I'd try to stay away from any liquid or paste lubricants, especially in dry and dusty environments. Graphite works for these conditions, but keep it away from exposed aluminum and steel that contact eachother. Wet and cold environments, use a paste or gel to keep it from binding.

zero issues,

RRS Tripods have been around a lot longer than we have been shooting with them. Photographers take them around the world under the worse conditions and there is no drama with them.

Rain, dirt, no effect what so ever

SH_HD_RainRRS-1.jpg

it rains every single class in Alaska and I always have my RRS with me. Not just for spotting, but for shooting too.

When I was running my Manfrotto ballhead a while back I only cleaned it when it started grinding. And at the time I was only rinsing it out with water, before I learned to fully disassemble it enough to give it a proper cleaning. I wasn't taking very good care of the ballheads. The sand did give it a nice rough surface, however they still worked properly, it just wasn't the smoothest action to pan and tilt.

A good wipe down of any sand or dust will be fine. I'd try to stay away from any liquid or paste lubricants, especially in dry and dusty environments. Graphite works for these conditions, but keep it away from exposed aluminum and steel that contact eachother. Wet and cold environments, use a paste or gel to keep it from binding.

I would not use anything on the ball heads...the RRS balls do not get sticky or grind - regardless of conditions.

I only treat the rotating leveling base black polymer. I use it almost everyday and the Scorpion seems to last 6-8 weeks.The Scorpion is not a grease, graphite or anything similar. It is a bonded release agent developed specifically for CF arrow shafts or polymer based products. You put just a very little on and it is immediately dry - bonding to the leveling base polymer, creating a super smooth panning operation. Shoot a non treated crossbow bolt into a target @ 400 fps and they are almost impossible to pull out. Just a small amount of this release agent and they pull out with no effort at all.

This is just a suggestion if you encounter a squeak in your RRS leveling base. Perhaps I am the only one that experiences this issue. When I am moving my AXMC into a shooting position I cannot have any noise that could spook the critters I shoot.

Photographers take them around the world under the worse conditions and there is no drama with them.

True... just be careful about salt water with them... ha ha (never got the tripod wet, but my sticks have needed some love over the years after shooting coastal sunset pics - easy to deal with, but you don't want to let them sit and get gunked up with salt).

And, there's this: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/head-maintenance and http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tripod-maintenance

I would not use anything on the ball heads...the RRS balls do not get sticky or grind - regardless of conditions.
I agree, but if the ball is already scratched up, and not smooth even after a wipe down, some might help. I shouldve added "light coat, and wipe off the excess". I have not used any lubricants except LSA-T on my ballhead. And only when it has seen a some use in the desert and the ball was pretty scratched up, used it during the winter, took a tumble in the snow, later on when I went to use it, the ball had bonded from the ice build up. Thats when I started using a light coat of lubricant to prevent that in those conditions, just something that would take up the excess space in the ballhead and prevent it from freezing together.

I havent used the RRS, but Im sure its like any other moving part in freezing conditions and desert conditions. Get enough sand in small spaces it will grind, and enough moisture in freezing conditions it will bind.